Capquest/Shoesmiths Summary Cause Summons - old Shop direct cat debt **Claim Dismissed**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, new here, so please go easy.... :)

First off after reading some threads here today,

i feel ive left this a bit long,

but any advice is appreciated and will be taken on board.

In December I received a Summary Court Summons for £3006.64. For unpaid shop direct handled by capquest.

My Return date is 18th January (this is next week i know, so not a lot of time to decide what i'm gonna do)

The original account with shop direct was 2010, and it was passed to capquest in 2012.

I'm happy to admit full liability and offer to set up a repayment plan.

BUT, if i recall at the time, I was barely able to make minimum repayments, yet they kept increasing my credit limit.

Can I dispute the claim and try to reclaim some charges/interest to reduce my final figure??

This is my first full day off work in a few weeks, and no kids at home, means I finally have the time needed to get my response in.

Again I'm sure i've done this all wrong, but just need some quick advice due to my circumstance...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Li4m79 and Welcome to CAG

I have moved your thread to the Scottish Forum here...please continue to post here as normal.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

In the meantime until our Scottish advisors see your post please take a read of the following link and post details as requested here.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?428590-You-have-received-a-Claim-**ISSUED-IN-SCOTLAND**-What-you-need-to-do.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

What is the claim for –

STATEMENT OF CLAIM

1. The parties are as designed in the instance.

The named defender resides at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

The defender has been so resident for more than three months immediately preceding the raising of this action.

The defender is domiciled there.

This Court accordingly has jurisdiction .

There are no proceedings pending before any other Court involving the present cause of action and between the parties hereto.

No agreement exists prorogating jurisdiction to another Court.

2. The pursuers are a finance company which inter alia operates the business of debt purchasing.

By virtue of a debt purchase agreement between the pursuers and Shop Direct Limited dated 12 November 2012 the pursuer acquired the right to payment in respect of all debts and other monetary claims of any nature due or owing by the defenders to Shop Direct Limited which were in existence as at the date the said Agreement was entered into in relation to the contract hereinafter condescended upon. The said assignation was intimated to the defender by way of written notice on or around the date of assignation .

3. The said contract between Shop Direct Limited and the defender is dated 10 March 2010 and relates to Mail Order agreement with account number xxxxxxxxxx.

The said account is in default and the sum due thereunder is du and payable now.

As at the date hereof, the sum due in terms of the said agreement amounts to £3006 .64 conform to copy statement of account which will be produced in any defended process to follow hereon.

In terms of the debt purchase agreement hereinbefc rE: condescended upon, the right to receive payment of the sums due on terms of the said statement of account vests in the pursuer.

4. The defender has been called upon to make payment of the sums sued for.

The . refuse or at least delay in doing so. This action is accordingly necessary.

What type of action? Summary (by £6.64)

Is the claim for a Catalogue via Capquest

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? After

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Capquest

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Yes

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? I cant remember

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? I hadn't heard from them in years, but i have moved address a few times in that time

Why did you cease payments:- They just got too much, i couldn't afford them

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No I didn't

the only thing you could dispute would be the monthly penalty charges {£12 late/over/letter etc]

these could be upto £24 every month you didn't pay until they sold the debt on

but you'd need the statements to confirm their value to you.

get an sar running to shop direct today

or go ring them [shop direct] and ask for a statement of charges

they MIGHT send one to you but the statements are better.

though these probably wont be more than a couple of £100's.

have you paid shop direct anything in the last 5 yrs?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i'm not 100% certain when my last payment to shop direct was, i have since changed/closed the bank I used so can't retrieve any statements... it is very possible.....

Ok i just called shop direct and although the woman was trying to palm me off to capquest, she did say the last payment she could see on her system was for £270 April 2012 so just under 5years :(

And just too add again, I've left this all quite late, i have to reply to the court by Next Wednesday.....

Apologise if this looks as though i'm spamming the thread...

I want to send everything off tomorrow.

Should I just admit liability and offer to repay... As ive left it so long i don't know if there is anything else i can do???

Apologise if this looks as though i'm spamming the thread...

I want to send everything off tomorrow.

Should I just admit liability and offer to repay... As ive left it so long i don't know if there is anything else i can do???

Dont do anything just yet wait for further advice.

if you return date is not till the 17th then hang fire and we'll review things later..

what date is the hearing?

my gut reaction is to defend it and get a CCA request running to capquest and the Scottish eqiv to a CPR running to the solicitors who are?

99.9% of these DCA claims in Scotland simply turn out to be speculative and the pursuer hopes for a default undefended judgement where no paperwork is looked at nor needed.

once you defend and request proof etc, they back off.

which court is this too please

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) for Scotland.

See here...

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/rules-and-practice/rules-of-court/sheriff-court---civil-procedure-rules

Andy

Thanks Andy, will try and get a read of this over the weekend...

I'm a chef with 4 kids so free time is like the holy grail to me!!...lol

@dx100uk , even if I defend and they don't back off,

i guess its just a case of setting up a repayment plan anyway, so nothing lost really I assume...

Thanks Andy, will try and get a read of this over the weekend... I'm a chef with 4 kids so free time is like the holy grail to me!!...lol

@dx100uk , even if I defend and they don't back off, i guess its just a case of setting up a repayment plan anyway, so nothing lost really I assume...

Absolutely.....better to try to defend than not at all and then kick yourself:wink:

so defending, means I may/will need to go to the court on the 1st of February.

.. you think it would be fine to represent myself?

Hopefully as said they may just back off,

but gotta prepare for the worst case scenario I guess..

Of course you can represent yourself...this is known as Litigant in Person

I think i may need some pointers on filling out the "note of proposed defense/counterclaim"

i need to;

"State which facts in the statement of claim are admitted"

"State briefly any facts regarding the circumstances of the claim on which you intent to rely"

"State details of counterclaim, if any"

I fear that the original debt could have been around the 3k figure,

but its been so long ago I cant actually remember,

but I know I was late on a lot of payments and would have racked up charges a lot,

and over the 2 years of me having the account,

they kept ramping up my limit but i guess trying to get these back I would have to do outwith this case as it is now with capquest.

A friend has just pointed out this passage in the original statement;

"conform to copy statement of account which will be produced in any defended process to follow hereon"

does this mean they have the original statements saying the figure is correct??

Edited by Li4m79

whatever happens you MUST attend 1st feb..

now just doing a wee bit of background

and this is new to me!!

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/simple-procedure

I guess your is NOT one of these?

what is the number on you form please just to check

and they

I will guess you have:

and they

Great bear with me

We have over 12" of snow here

and they

Have you sent SAR to shop direct?

or CCA to Capquest or CPR to SS?

what have you done so far?

dx

and they

neither yet, its been the weekend.... that plus being stuck in a kitchen for 12hours every day... :( i've taken tomorrow off as a holiday as I think its gonna be the only way i'll get time to do do anything.

good ok

dx

and they

I cant seem to find an account number with Capquest for filling out my CCA. I have a reference quote for SS and obvs my account number for Shop Direct, but nothing for capquest. Is there other info I should put in this absence?