Council Tax demands years after living there

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2633 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

Yesterday I received a letter through the post stating that I owe council tax from around the 2011 period.

This is the first letter I have received of this nature. The dates are not included on the letter but to be honest, I can't even remember if I did pay it or not from it being around 6 years ago.

On this letter from Jacobs, it states that there was a liability order issued 10/08/2012 but this is the first ive even heard about it.

The amount is for £621.58 and a further £75 added onto this bill for a compliance stage fee.

What do I do? Im not phoning them and admitting liability without consulting some help first.

It states I must pay or agree payment by 11/1/17 and then goes on to list hundreds of £££ of extras if they have to come to the property etc etc

Edited by Astrophel

You need to phone the council ASAP to find out more information.

Back in 2012, you should have been sent a Council Tax summons with a Magistrates address to attend on a certain date and if you did not attend the liability order would have been issued.

The councils bailiff company would then have been sent out to the address to find out why you were not paying and to get a payment arrangement or goods to cover the liability.

If you were never summons by the council, then you have reason for complaint and the council should take it back from Jabobs.

Suggest you get onto this urgently, as Jacobs will add £310 for an enforcement visit if you don't get it resolved by the date on their letter.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Great thanks. I only lived at this property for 6 months on single persons discount I remember that much but this all seems a little drastic considering its the first contact I have ever received regarding this.

Great thanks. I only lived at this property for 6 months on single persons discount I remember that much but this all seems a little drastic considering its the first contact I have ever received regarding this.

It is a bit like a running taxi meter. If you did not advise the council you were moving out, then your liability would have kept running, until the council had record of someone else paying tax at the address.

After you left the property, letters would have gone to the address including council tax Magistrates summons. At some point bailiffs were probably sent to the address and as they could not find you, the account was passed back to the council. Years later you have been traced by Jacobs for this unpaid council tax liability order.

If you want to avoid paying this tax, you need to supply the council proof that you moved out of this address. The council might then be willing to write off this liability order. If you can't prove you moved out, you might want to arrange to pay the amount, before Jacobs find need to visit you adding the £310.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

£235 not £310 ....£310 is the total with the £75.

as long as the council are aware you were only there for 6mts

which for £600 ish looks about right,

the quicker you get payments going the better.

the fact you didn't get the LO is in a way now immaterial.

you might find you have to set up a payment arrangement with Jacobs now

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Council tax is payable yearly from the period 1st April.

If for instance you had been living in the property from May 2011 until 1st October 2011 then unless you informed the local authority that you had vacated the property, you would be liable for council tax until the following April (or until somebody else advised the local authority that they had taken on over the property.

It is more than likely that the council (or their agents) have now found an alternative address for you.

You need to speak with the council tomorrow morning. Please post back once you have done so.

PS: Legislation provides that when issuing a summons, then local authority can use the 'last known address'.

You will also need to prove that you move out on the date you say, then the council should alter the Lo to suit,

this happened to me but I can not prove the date so was lumbered with an extra 4 months CT plus fees.

Bear in mind that moving out of a property does not in itself automatically end council tax liability - in some cases it can continue on (see the recent High Court case of Leeds v Broadley on liability of tenants after vacation). Only the Local Authority will know the full situation which has led to the charge so you need to contact them ASAP.

Craig

Bear in mind that moving out of a property does not in itself automatically end council tax liability - in some cases it can continue on (see the recent High Court case of Leeds v Broadley on liability of tenants after vacation).

Craig

Here you go:

http://www.9goughsquare.co.uk/news/1210/

PS; Thank you for providing details of this case.

Here you go:

http://www.9goughsquare.co.uk/news/1210/

PS; Thank you for providing details of this case.

It's a good one however I have heard that Leeds are preparing papers for a Supreme Court appeal - they're not satisfied with getting beat at Tribunal, High Court and Appeals Court...

Craig

I have finally been in contact with the council concerned. That was a process in itself.

They provided dates of 7/5/11-14/12/11 and state this isnthe first time they have found me since then. Not exactly moved house in years but nevermind.

They say they cant do anything. Just speak to Jacobs

I have finally been in contact with the council concerned. That was a process in itself.

They provided dates of 7/5/11-14/12/11 and state this isnthe first time they have found me since then. Not exactly moved house in years but nevermind.

They say they cant do anything. Just speak to Jacobs

So they have billed you for 6 months. I presume that the date of 7th May was when you moved into the property. Do you have any evidence that you made any payments towards your council tax bill for this period?

UB has given good advise,

I had a similar problem, I was charged for 4 months CT notification to council was over looked.

I contacted the council and was told to prove the move out date.

they would then amend the CT liability.

The best advice is always to try and work the problem and the majority of times a suitable outcome can be reached.

When it comes to liability queries the legislation puts all the power with the local authority - even the magistrates cannot overrule the council's decision on liability due to Section 16 of the LGFA and Regulation 57 of the Administration & Enforcement Regs 92 . It requires a Valuation Tribunal to do so, followed by the High Court if necessary.

Craig