28 & homeless through no fault of their own, taken in by family member - need a tenancy agreement?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2679 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apology if this is in the wrong place....unsure where it should be.

28yr old homeless through no fault of their own, taken in my family member but they need to have a tenancy agreement in place to get help with rent. Currently not working due to having to leave work and area as nowhere to live and relocate to family for help but keen job seeker.

How or can ... a tenancy agreement be made in these circumstances please.

I am no expert in this area but i would suggest you tread carefully.

Who owns the property fir which a tenancy agreement is needed?

If the householder is already a tenant with a HA or private landlord for example then subletting could cause all sorts if problems.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

ahh I see...I was thinking this which was about to me my next question if indeed the agreement could 'be' at all... the family are council tenants and am thinking subletting the small free space may not be the best idea then...probably best to take in the family member and just declare them as now living there and do it that way.

Ahhh right...well yes this was my next question. Assuming a tenancy agreement could even be allowed in this circumstance. The family are council tenants in their own right, I am thinking that subletting their small free space may not be the best idea, it could be that they need to just declare the family member now living with them and go from there, part of the household etc.

Hi Rudy

Could you just clarify that the family members are Council Tenants and have taken in a Homeless Person?

If this is a Council Property they would need Permission from the Council to Sublet. (The Tenancy Agreement would have a clause about subletting & IMO it would not be allowed)

Also for Council Tax this may be classed as a Change in Circumstances which they would need to notify the Council.

I can appreciate why they have done this especially at this time of year but they do need to tread carefully.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

yes its a local family who are council tenants, and a relative has become homeless through no fault of their own, and they have taken them in. I have found an online calculator with non dependants calculations, I would imagine a family member staying temporarily would come under this.

That would really depend on the Councils interpretation especially if that individual has already registered with the Council as Homeless and are staying in the Family Members Council Property.

I do respect what they are doing but just be careful.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• dx100uk changed the title to 28 & homeless through no fault of their own, taken in by family member - need a tenancy agreement?