Another DFS leather peeling -

bon19800
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I also purchased a cream leather suite from DFS at a cost of £2500 for a three seater and 1 armchair with recliners. It arrived late Nov 2015 and by late Oct 2016 the leather had started peeling on the armchair at the point where my head rested. I first contacted the insurance company, as I had been talked into taking out insurance for the suite but they quickly dismissed my claim as it was not accidental damage. I then called DFS in London rd Glasgow where I purchased it and they said they would send someone out.

A chap called Kevin Leckie who is apparently the service manager called around 10 days later whilst I was at work and had a look at the affected area. He proceeded to ask my wife who sat on the chair, and when she said it was myself, he asked her if I used any hair products. She told him that apart from shampoo, no. He then said the cause of the leather peeling was oils from my hair and he spent about an hour rubbing the area down and spraying in the colour again. before leaving he told my wife not to touch the area he had just fixed and if we were cleaning the suite not to clean that area for a couple of months, and said if we had any more problems with it then they would just order a full new back for the chair. He then said the only problem with that is that due to the suite being cream, and nearly 1 year old " It would stick out like a sore thumb " from the rest of chair.

The problem with the repair is whereas the rest of the suite has a nice gloss finish to it the repaired area is more of a matte finish and feels very different. Also this area seems to get dirty more because of the texture and a damp cloth does nothing to clean it. So I called the shop on the 16th Dec to say I wasn't happy with the repair and woman asked my details and said on the computer Kevin had logged it as a fault of ours due to me using hair products??? and he had repaired it as a gesture of good will. Unbelievable!! Total lies! I asked to speak with the manager, told not in today but Kevin will call you later, he didn't. Called shop again today asked to speak to manager Brian Plenderleith but he refused to come on the phone, great customer service Mr Plenderleith.

I am now formerly rejecting the suite as it is not fit for purpose. Thank you any advice would be welcome.

It sounds as if the suite is not fit for its purpose. However, you don't necessarily have a right to reject it at this point. I think that you need to give them a further opportunity to deal with it and I would suggest that you do this in writing and warn them that if it is not properly dealt with that you will then reject it and demand a replacement or refund and that you're prepared to take legal action if necessary. This kind of problem with DFS sweets seems to be pretty common. It's a pity that people don't search on the Internet before they think about getting them. I think it is particularly the leather suites.

Also, in your letter to make it immediately clear that their record is inaccurate and that it was never determined that it was your fault. Point out that you do not use hair oils and this was explained to their man Kevin at the time but that even if you did use hair oils, this would be quite normal behaviour and that any suite supplied by DFS or anybody else should have no difficulty dealing with this.

In fact point out to them that the fact that they blame this problem on the use of hair oils is itself proof that they admit that it is not fit for its usual purpose because it would be unreasonable to expect all of their customers to avoid any kind of hair products simply because they're using a DFS suite.

Warn them also that because they are keeping inaccurate records about you, they are effectively in breach of the Data Protection Act which requires that personal data is kept lawfully and must be accurate.

Come back here when you have an answer and we will see what next to do.