Car owner using wrong address

ian-d
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2689 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is the right section.

My Mother-in-Law has been receiving both parking notices and speeding fines at her address for someone else, who lives just down the road and for what ever reason, isn't interested in having DVLA change the details and said she made a mistake when originally registering the car.

My MIL is a very unwell person, suffers greatly from mental health issues and parking notices with threats of bailiffs etc is enough to keep her up at night, and risk of harm to herself. She doesn't drive, and doesn't own a vehicle etc.

Many of the notices are over a few weeks old now because sadly she hides things like this that scare her and has just told my partner today.

Can anyone recommend what we should do?

Is there a department we should call at the DVLA to report this,

and will we also need to contact the companies sending letters through asking them to review their records?

The parking notices are from Parking Eye,

and I don't know who the speeding notice is from,

but it is doing 84mph in a 60mph zone,

so I expect that will be pursued.

We are not aware of a log book or any insurance documents coming through to the MIL's address, but because of her mental state, for all we know she could have returned them, buried them, or worse, handed them over to the neighbour.

Help appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about the stupid parking eye private parking notice

but you must act on the speeding one.

as that could soon involve bailiffs etc

quite honestly i'd be ringing 101 now

you could also ring the DVLA and tell them what is going on too.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you,

the best we'll be able to do at this stage is write to the parking company, and notify DVLA, but unfortunately because of the fragile stage of my mother in law, any other letters and speeding fines she may have received have either been returned, or binned, without any of us knowing, as she's terrified when threats come through the door and lives alone.

We have no idea who the speeding ticket came from etc; no idea if there is a way of finding out?

You should not be opening any mail that isn't addressed to you. Return to sender with "Not known at this address" written on it. But the suggestion of ringing the police on 101 is a good one. They will have access to the details of the car and the registered keeper's driving licence. Hopefully they will take action

Call dvla as a matter of urgency and ask them to what address you need to send written communication.

Then send them a recorded delivery letter explaining where the car should be registered and that you have approached your neighbour who is not interested in correcting the mistake.

Next thing you will know is your neighbour stumping her feet because she's got to pay the speeding fines and most likely the dvla fine for not updating the address correctly.

Also as suggested, a call to 101 should prevent any further action at your mil address, but make sure they give you a reference number.

Call dvla as a matter of urgency and ask them to what address you need to send written communication.

Then send them a recorded delivery letter explaining where the car should be registered and that you have approached your neighbour who is not interested in correcting the mistake.

Next thing you will know is your neighbour stumping her feet because she's got to pay the speeding fines and most likely the dvla fine for not updating the address correctly.

Also as suggested, a call to 101 should prevent any further action at your mil address, but make sure they give you a reference number.

I wonder whether DVLA would do anything helpful. A third party contacting them about data being wrong, might just be met with a response that they can't accept changes to data from an unconnected third party. They might not even write to the neighbour concerned, if an address was given.

Phoning 101 which is the local non urgent Police number would be met with a blank response, that they don't correct admin errors.

In this situation, i think it is best to just return the letters to anybody writing, with a covering letter stating that they have the wrong address. The person they are seeking lives at no.x.......

Just tell the neighbour that their failure to correct the error will just lead to bailiffs turning up at their door without any notice, as they won't be receiving letters to deal with situatuons before they get out of hand. Point out that baillifs might take their car from their driveway and cost them a lot of money to get back.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It's worth trying imo.

Dvla would probably jump at the opportunity to give someone an £80 fine and in any case I think they will acknowledge the fact that the car doesn't belong to anyone at the registered address.

Regarding parking eye,

I would contact them and give the correct address,

just to get the neighbour in a spot of bothe

r (then we'll probably see them here 😀)

for my own record as much as anything.

We have contacted the DVLA who have asked that we send them a covering letter advising that the address provided is not correct.

They've said it will be reviewed/corrected within 4 weeks and that my partner is fine to write on behalf of her unwell mother.

We've also phoned the local police on 101 and actually they were very helpful,

logging everything, spending a good 30 minutes on the phone to my partner,

provided a reference number and have also passed it to the local resolution team who 'may' visit the neighbour to give some friendly advice.

It seems that the neighbour is just a youngster and doesn't appear to be aware of the consequences of false/inaccurate data.

We are also going to send a covering letter to Parking Eye,

advising them that this person does not live at this address and suggest the address they should be trying instead.

We don't expect them to understand or even accept, but we've at least covered that off.

Any further advice more than welcome.

The last time my mother in law was receiving such letters

(albeit they were bills for gas/electric etc she was too worried about to tell the family of),

and was sectioned for some time under the mental health act;

she thankfully was discharged after a few weeks but is still too unwell to work

and these kind of triggers make her very vulnerable.