Car written off - strangers asking for log book

rdm2006
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

in may this year my daughter had a car accident and the car was written off (although we didnt think it was necessary).

Two men have just knocked showed me a copy of my daughters registration doc asking if i knew the person, they were after the log book and they were driving the car that had been written off.

I didnt have the logbook as logbook and reg docs had to be sent in to the insurance company.

I hope we are not going to get some kind of come back over this

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

If it was minor damaged but classed as uneconomical to repair then the insurance would write it off and sell it for scrap/parts etc. It may well have gone through auction and the buyer can repair it and put it back on the road, these are known as Class C and Class D however they would and could obtain a v5 from DVLA, there would be no need to contact the pre accident owner.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

in may this year my daughter had a car accident and the car was written off (although we didnt think it was necessary).

Two men have just knocked showed me a copy of my daughters registration doc asking if i knew the person, they were after the log book and they were driving the car that had been written off.

I didnt have the logbook as logbook and reg docs had to be sent in to the insurance company.

I hope we are not going to get some kind of come back over this

Insurers or their salvage company should have notified DVLA. The visit by these Men suggests that DVLA may not have been advised. Suggest your Daughter asks her Insurers to look into this and write to her confirming all notificatuons to DVLA were carried out. I only advise this, as DVLA might accuse your daughter of not notifying them of the cars change of ownership.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

im on to the insurance company now making a complaint

;)

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

Dont forget to get intouch with dvla about no longer being regd keeper, you should have had a letter from them confirming this.

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

the insurance company are going to do an investigation to see what has gone wrong, yes i will be on to the dvla too

;)

The letter from the dvla is nothing mire than a compliments slip infirming the forner keeper that they are no longer the regd keeper of vehicle reg no xxxx xxx

fortunately the men that turned up were quite friendly polish guys but it could have just as easily been very awkward and nasty situation

;)

The insurers have called back and say that they do not transfer the ownership into their (or salvage companys) name unless the car is likely to be kept there for a while. As it was a catagory D it may have been sold quite quickly and therefore transfered directly from my daughters name to that of the new owners.

However they do mark it as a written off car on another system which the dvla can see

We have checked with the dvla and it is not now in her name and she is now the previous owner.

;)

The insurers have called back and say that they do not transfer the ownership into their (or salvage companys) name unless the car is likely to be kept there for a while. As it was a catagory D it may have been sold quite quickly and therefore transfered directly from my daughters name to that of the new owners.

However they do mark it as a written off car on another system which the dvla can see

Get it in writing, just in case DVLA say they were not notified and want to impose a fine. The new owners will register for their V5 and it might raise a query on DVLA systems about not being advised by your daughter.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

ive spoken to the dvla and they are satisfied that it has been transferred and no fines will be issued but i am not happy because we now know that (on top of strangers calling at the house) she could have been fined.

the salvage company insisted that docs were sent to them to speed up pay out and they would inform the dvla which they then did not do

;)