BT - Moved to new house without any BT so cancelled but still want to charge for ending contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2674 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

We recently moved house and new property did not have and working landline. Previous supplier was Virgin Media but that was cancelled by the previous occupier's family.

When I looked to transfer from my current home the website said I would have to pay a new connection charge for engineer etc. As BT couldn't provide the service I arranged for Sky to provide phone line and Broadband as part of my existing TV package,

BT however want to charge £169.75 early termination of contract fee and a separate charge of £31 for "cessation of broadband."

My question is simple, are they entitled to make these charges as I moved house to a residence that did nnot have a supply.. Surely the contract was broken.

Any advice would be gratefully received how to avoid these charges

Thank You

Trojan

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

Hi,

We recently moved house and new property did not have and working landline. Previous supplier was Virgin Media but that was cancelled by the previous occupier's family.

When I looked to transfer from my current home the website said I would have to pay a new connection charge for engineer etc. As BT couldn't provide the service I arranged for Sky to provide phone line and Broadband as part of my existing TV package,

BT however want to charge £169.75 early termination of contract fee and a separate charge of £31 for "cessation of broadband."

My question is simple, are they entitled to make these charges as I moved house to a residence that did nnot have a supply.. Surely the contract was broken.

Any advice would be gratefully received how to avoid these charges

Thank You

Trojan

Surely, if a new phone line was needed, you are paying Sky to install it rather than BT to install it.

It was thus your choice to pay a different company than BT!

Was there a physical phone line leading to the property (& a "master socket" in the home) already?

What does your original contract with BT say about termination of contract in the event of a house move?

What a wonderfully hilarious story. BT are unbelievably stupid and what is amazing is that they think that they can be entrusted with the entire telephone and broadband structure.

There must be some reason why they think they've got a contract with you and I think that the starting point or to be sending them an SAR. Send them an SAR on Monday. Make sure you ask for everything they've got on you in respect of any matter and any account. It will cost you £10 – but I think at the end of the day you can claim the £10 back once you have shown them to be stupid.

Let us know if it develops at all for instance they start really sending you threatening letters. Also, have you ever signed anything with them at all? Even if it was just tentative? Have you made any enquiries on the Internet or had a quote for services on the Internet or anywhere? I'm just trying desperately to discover why in some way they might think that you have a contract with them.

What a wonderfully hilarious story. BT are unbelievably stupid and what is amazing is that they think that they can be entrusted with the entire telephone and broadband structure.

There must be some reason why they think they've got a contract with you and I think that the starting point or to be sending them an SAR. Send them an SAR on Monday. Make sure you ask for everything they've got on you in respect of any matter and any account. It will cost you £10 – but I think at the end of the day you can claim the £10 back once you have shown them to be stupid.

Let us know if it develops at all for instance they start really sending you threatening letters. Also, have you ever signed anything with them at all? Even if it was just tentative? Have you made any enquiries on the Internet or had a quote for services on the Internet or anywhere? I'm just trying desperately to discover why in some way they might think that you have a contract with them.

I read it that OP had BT service at their previous house, prior to the move, and it is that contract that the OP has terminated early.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

Para 13.4(g) : no early termination charge if BT are unable to provide the service at the new address.

They are able to provide it : just you needed to pay for the new line.

Had you said "I'd like to move , and will pay for a new line", and they had replied "we can't provide service to that address", then you'd not have to pay an early termination fee (but you'd also not be able to get a line from Sky, only from Virgin as they have already served that address).

What are you on about? The OP said they are in contract already as they had BT at the previous address!

Yes, my bad. I think you're right.

In that case, is the OP on some minimum term contract?

At the very least I'm surprised that there is a termination fee and a cancellation of broadband. Also, if it was a minimum term contract then how early has the contract been cancelled. £169 seems to equal the cost of quite a few months rental to me.

Cessation of Broadband charge is normal. Every ISP using BT infrastructure will charge you a fee to cease your broadband if you aren't using a MAC code to transfer to another provider as, in that case, I believe there is work that must be physically carried out at the Exchange by Openreach.

If Sky are able to provide you with a phoneline though, then BT would be able to as well. Sky uses BT infrastructure.

Reading the OP, it appears to me that BT did not say that they could not provide a service, just that the OP would need to pay to have a new line installed as no BT line was present at the property previously since it was serviced by Virgin Media who use their own infrastructure. It sounds like Sky basically offered to absorb this cost as a new customer benefit whilst BT would not for an existing customer. Thusly, BT have not terminated or breached the contract, the OP has. In that case I think it's reasonable that BT would charge something to terminate the contract early, though the full balance of the remaining term is excessive.