Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
    Basic Account Holder Thewigster Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jun 2012

Default Re: Misread Sign and Napier FCN received - civic drive ipswich

Attached some pics of the signs today. If you imagine I'm 6ft tall and I had to point the camera to the sky to take them

Attached Images

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

the signs contain the information needed
    but as you say, they are a sod to read so can you estimate their height above the ground?
    I presume the one next to the ticket machine is the same wording as the others.

Can you also tell us how long the co has been running this car park and who owns the land?
    The former will help regarding whether they have planning permission for their signs and if they dont they are breaking the law.

Criminal activity=no contract can be formed.
    If a recent enterprise the PP will be listed on the council planning portal,
    most councils have these but some only go back a couple of years for online searches so you may have to ask them.

For the second point there is an argument about whether the size and colour of the writing can lead to condusion or problems reading and understanding the contract offered (consideration and acceptance).

This is always something that is subjective and no-one can sat that such and such is OK but so and so isnt so the planning matter will be the killer for them

I would estimate the bottom of the sign must be 7ft from ground level. As I said I'm 6ft and I can stand comfortably under it. Yes the signage by the machine is identical but in all honesty I don't think the lettering on that is big enough either.

Regarding how long they have been there I don't know. The car park used to be used as a market a few years ago and was owned by wolsey theatre. Don't know if the sold it or they lease it to napier? ?

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

then look at the planning portal and see it it is listed.

It is usual for parking co's to claim deemed consent but if you read what is allowed under deemed consent their signs dont fit with any of it so express consent needed.

Ultimately this is an easier argument but like the wording on a sign offering a contract it is all down to how someone else interprets it and you can bet that whoever considers this wont be an expert on planning and contract law.

done some research tonight and found this . not sure i understand how a place can be up and running and trading as a business when the planning is still pending ?

Attached Images

this is PP for the development and includes lighting but not the signage added later by the parking cowboys.

They will have to had separate permission once the place was up and running.

This seems to be a point that many people are missing and that includes most councils.

Just because somehting can be free and isnt enforced doesnt mean you can ignoreicon the law or it hasnt been broken.

Most motorists speed for a short while and never get caught but that hasnt changed the law on speeding to make it legal!

Thanks for that Ericsbrother would you say it's a good idea to speak to the council then and and if pp was granted for the signage at a later date then ?

you can ask them but the thing is that it is for the parking co to PROVE they have the right to offer contracts so if they dont have PP they are stuffed.

It is not for you to prove they are in the wrong but knowing whether they asked the council in the first place will be useful to know.

Dont get into a long discussion about "deemed consent" or the like, it is not applicable
    but most councils have bigger things to fret over so say anything to close the enquiry

i have the name and number of the chap who is in charge of planning etc ,
    what do you suggest > leave it and see if Napier persue it ( which i expect they will ) or appeal it.

if i appeal it though ,
    would the grounds be that i contest the charge based on the fact the signage is misleading due to not CLEARLY displaying the terms of the contract being offered ?

thanks again

in these matters you make them do the work.

Most people who come here in a pickle are in that position because they hurried things in the vain hope that decency would prevail then it never does.

By all means ask the council bod about it but dont spend for ever worrying if they say somehting like it isnt needed because the law as written says it does but there are no real penalites for not complying.

As for the parking co,
    yes, I would make them do the running and when it looks like it is getting critical let them know that you are no pushover and create that paper trail that lets them know that you arent burying your head in the sandicon.

To contact them first will make them think that you are minded to pay up if they try a little harder so they will.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details