Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder Nuisance Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Nov 2016

Default Sonic direct microwave faulty within 4 months of infrequent usage but no refund

So I spent around 600 at sonic direct on a washing machine, dryer and a microwave. I hardly used the microwave and in less than 4 months it stopped heating anything. So I took it back to sonic direct only to be told I can't get a refund. I have to get in touch with the manufacturers.

So I contacted Sharp and they are only willing to swap the microwave but the warranty doesn't renew. It's still 12 months from when we purchased the first microwave. So if the same fault occurs after that initial 12 months I will be stuck with it.

This is such a nuisance as me and my husband work full time jobs so we can't sit at home waiting to swap a 75 microwave (which can only be done from Monday to Friday but no time can be confirmed, we just get a text in the morning) Surely we should be allowed to return it to the company that so willingly took our money.

I know now never to shop at sonic direct again. Argos took back a sewing machine worth 100 after 2 years and gave us a gift card to buy a replacement. Recently bought a new house so at least I know now where not to shop.

Am I not entitled to a refund?

Royalties Account Holder unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Nuisance View Post
    So I spent around 600 at sonic direct on a washing machine, dryer and a microwave. I hardly used the microwave and in less than 4 months it stopped heating anything. So I took it back to sonic direct only to be told I can't get a refund. I have to get in touch with the manufacturers.

So I contacted Sharp and they are only willing to swap the microwave but the warranty doesn't renew. It's still 12 months from when we purchased the first microwave. So if the same fault occurs after that initial 12 months I will be stuck with it.

This is such a nuisance as me and my husband work full time jobs so we can't sit at home waiting to swap a 75 microwave (which can only be done from Monday to Friday but no time can be confirmed, we just get a text in the morning) Surely we should be allowed to return it to the company that so willingly took our money.

I know now never to shop at sonic direct again. Argos took back a sewing machine worth 100 after 2 years and gave us a gift card to buy a replacement. Recently bought a new house so at least I know now where not to shop.

Am I not entitled to a refund?
    Consumer Rights Acticon 2015 applies.

Within 6 months, shop has to repair or replace item. But they often have arrangement for manufacturers to do this. If repair or replacement fails then you are entitled to refund. The replacement should continue to enjoy the warranty period initially supplied i would have thought, so you don't lose out due the first machine failing. If any product fails to last without faults during a reasonable lifespan you still have rights, but would probably then have to sue the shop.

Basic Account Holder Nuisance Novitiate

Cagger since : Nov 2016

Default Re: Sonic direct microwave faulty within 4 months of infrequent usage but no refund

Thank you for that information. I just hope the replacement isn't faulty.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details