UK debt - now living in UAE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2696 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys!

I lived in the UK for 2 years and then moved to Australia in 2013.

I have since moved to Dubai where I am now living.

I got a message 2 days ago from someone who lives in my old house in London saying she had opened a piece of post accidentally that was meant for me.

It turned out to be from a debt collection company called Cabot Financial who are chasing £800 unpaid on a capital one credit card (£500 balance and £300 interest).

Now I know it sounds silly but I honestly had no idea this even existed.

Looking over my old records I see it's a true debt yes and I owe the money, but I had 100% completely forgotten about it.

I contacted Cabot to make an offer on the debt and they told me they had passed it to Shoesmiths solicitors which I'm guessing means that they're in the process of bringing me to court to get a CCJ.

Now what I'm trying to find out is what I need to do now.

I'm going to call Shoesmiths to try and make an offer to them but technically as I'm in the UAE the debt is not enforceable nor is the CCJ is it?

I'm really reluctant to tell them my new address in case they somehow track me down and start harassing me,

but if they need it to prove that I'm not in the country then maybe it's the right thing to do?

I'm currently a stay at home mother and don't have £800 lying around to pay,

but I do want to try and settle this in a way that I can.

Can anyone tell me how best to tackle this?

Do I need to prove my new address?

Do I tell them as little as possible and just make them an offer on the basis that really I'm doing it in good faith as they've no right to chase me in the country I'm in right now?

I have no assets in the UK and have no intention of moving back there.

Thanks so much in advance,

Emma

They've no legal powers and you should never ever ring anyone

All and bugger they can do to you

Forget and ignore

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You could just send a letter to Cabot just saying that you are resident of the UAE and they should not their records, as well as notifying Shoosmiths.

If you want to provide your UAE address that is your choice, but it might help you as the debt owner has a foreign address to write to. I doubt you will have any local debt collection, as i don't think UK debts are enforced in the UAE. Or you can provide an email address for correspondence.

Or you could ignore, but that might mean you end up with a CCJ which will be on your UK credit record for 6 years. You might have to return to the UK for personal reasons although you have no current plan, things can change.

If you phone Shoosmiths, they will want a repayment arrangement set up, for any amount you negotiate. If you choose this option, make sure it is purely based on what you spent on the card and not anything that has been added.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread