Equita charging unreasonable fees - difficult baillif

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2707 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my friend has to pay for council tax through equita who applied their £75 fee.

He is on JSA.

The call centre agreed he could pay £20 a month if he could send in proof he's on JSA.

He emailed this in and asked how he should pay.

He had no response and paid £40 off the amount online .

When calling the call centre again,

they said he had defaulted on the arrangement and he had to speak to the bailiff who was dealing with it.

The baillif said she had visited and hand posted a letter and added £235 of charges on top.

I'm not sure what this is for as there is no car at the property.

My friend in question who has a dog was home and didn't hear anything.

I helped to explain the situation.

The baillif said to forward the original proof of JSA emails in to their manager.

This was done. Still no response.

Made another million calls to the bailiff.

She said await a response.

a week later 3 letters arrive ,

one saying payment is due and that the £20 a month is accepted.

This includes they £235 fee that the bailiff said she would remove.

Upon calling baillif in excess of 50 times in 1 week,

baillif either doesn't answer of if bailiff is called on private number,

says they are with a customer upon hearing who it is and puts the phone down as soon as the fee is issue is brought up.

Call centre won't discuss the case.

baillif is being unnecessarily difficult .

Today baillif after just 10 calls today says fee is lawful and puts phone down.

Not once and I mean not once has anyone been rude to this's baillif but has simply tried to sort this matter out.

friend is happy to pay instalments of £20 to clear council tax which will take about 4 years at this rate.

But an extra unnecessary £235 will take another year.

Where does my friend stand?

Feel very disappointed as bailiff seems to enjoy being difficult instead of dealing with someone polite who is trying to sort themselves out.

Totally and utterly fed up of calling baillif for this reaction of no answer or phone going down.

please advise. Very much apprecaited Thankyou

stop calling him then

go talk to the council

they are responsible for the bailiffs actions.

but if he didn't pay the required amount on the enforcement notice within 7 days

then they will visit again and that's £235.

regardless to if he is in or not.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There are a few things that need doing:

How many Liability Orders are there?

How much is each one for?

The dates they were obtained?

Had the Council informed him they were going ahead with Court action if he did not pay?

Is the Council run by Capita?

Has the Bailiff taken control of any goods & if so what?

It may pay to engage the local Councillor(s) to see if they can help.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think there is a mis understanding.

The amount is for about £750 for council tax. they have agreed to accept £20 a month.

The bailiff added on £235 wrongly which he said would be removed if it was proved the email with proof had been sent with was forwarded and hence the £20 a month arrangement has been re set up.

However the bailiff won't remove the fee.

No goods were taken.

No car is at the house as the person does not have a car.

You misunderstand, did the Bailiff make a list of any goods he could take if a default occurred. At the same time it is good there is no car that could be taken.

Was a Notice of Enforcement received? If so was contact made with Equita over it? I'm trying to establish how the payment arrangement was made as £750 + fees is going to take some 40 months to pay off - which in the present climate is a very long time as most Councils insist on payment being made in 3/6 months and at the very least before the end of the financial year. I wonder if they are being taken for a ride.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apologies. No- no list of things to take. To be honest there's not much to take.

Yes a notice of enforcement was received and then he contacted equita.

He offered £40 they said £20 would be fine per month given he's on benefits.

The Baillif was also not happy that theyd given him the £20 arrangement because yes it's forever to pay off.

I think we have to establish if the Enforcement fee of 235 was correctly applied.

In your first post you say that they claimed the orriginal arrangement was defaulted, is this correct ?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I think we have to establish if the Enforcement fee of 235 was correctly applied.

In your first post you say that they claimed the orriginal arrangement was defaulted, is this correct ?

what happened was,

on the phone to the equita service centre they say is pay £20 a month.

he didn't have to make any payment on the phone but was asked to send proof.

He emailed that day the proof and writing please let me know how I should make the payment and when it is due.

Then the bailiff hand delivered that letter.

After many discussions with the bailiff

the bailiff said if it is proven that email with the proof was sent , the 235 would be removed.

the email was forwarded to show this was sent and it was also read out to the bailiff and forwarded to her whilst on the phone.

Now the bailiff will not answer the phone to remove the amount

a letter has come to say he can pay the £20 a month and the arrangement has been set up and he has recovered a pay point slip where he can go into a shop and make the £20 a month payments.

But she won't remove the 235 because she won't even engage in conversation.

Very frustrating and unfair...

The problem is that the bailiff won't consider any arrangement has been made, unless some payment s received.

That is why we advise that the first payment should be made immediately. Rightly or wrongly they and the creditor will consider this as another promise to pay unless backed up with an action.

They seem to be repeating thier offer, it seems very reasonable to me I would start payment t straight away. I am afraid you will have to swallow the fees, unless they drop them as a gesture. Something they will not do if you keep telling them they are actiing unlawfully

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

He has been making a payment and has paid his £20. that is not an issue.

The issue is the added £235.

The bailiff said this would be removed and is now not removing this.

What did the bailiff do for this £235?

drop a letter through the door when they had not sorted how he was meant to pay?

There is nothing at the house, no car , the windows are not even double glazed so where has the £235 come from?

The bailiff has gone back on what they said which was if it could be shown that he had contacted them with the proof of being on benefits and showing he had asked how to pay then this would be removed as they didn't respond but now that amount has not been removed.

Also it is not as easy as swallow get the fees as that is another whole year of payments.

Sorry perhaps I misunderstood, did he make payments before the Bailiff called, or said he called on this Enforcement action ?

Sorry the question was, was the first payment made before or after the bailiff called

Sorry the question was, was the first payment before or after the bailiff called

That's OK.

He did make the first payment before the bailiff sent a letter and in fact paid £40

but it was apparently past when they expected it but he didn't know how or when to pay it as he thought he'd be told in the email he sent with the proof of his benefits...

OK put it another way.

Your friend received an Initial letter, giving 7days to either pay or make an arrangemen,t was the 40 paid within this period ?!

This is not the letter pushed through the letter box.

I don't know about anyone else but I find the sequence as mentioned very confusing. In post,10 you seem to say that payment commenced after the bailff hand delivered the Enforcement stage note, if this is true the Enforcement fee will be due.

The ,235 is due on attendance by the bailiff, he needs do nothing more.