Whirlpool dryer recall: Claim from your card provider

Michael Browne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are you one of the four million Whirlpool tumble dryer owners, sold under the Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda brands, which have been affected by a fault which can cause fires?

Are you still waiting for a repair, nearly a year after Whirlpool issued a safety notice?

Are you still using it despite London Fire Brigade reccomending customers to stop using them immediately?

Well, now a decision by the Ombudsman means that you may be able to obtain a refund from your credit card provider.

Unwilling to accept a fire hazard in his home for almost 12 months, one consumer took his case to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), which has now ruled Nationwide must pay up.

Read more

Hello all, I am 'lucky' enough to own a Hotpoint dryer in the affected range. Hotpoint are being awkward at the moment, they did offer a 'collect it yourself' condensing dryer from Currys for £49 but that offer has now been withdrawn and replaced by a deliver for around £95, I complained to Hotpoint and got a cheque for £25 towards the extra cost, I have not yet changed the dryer, but I am not using it. Being a 'competent and appropriately trained person' I took a look in the back of the dryer where the heater is, expecting to find a build up of fluff on the heater, their was non at all. Having said that their are only 2 of us in the house and the dryer is only used in bad weather. On BBC morning news in the beginning of October 2016, an item on the dryers was broadcast suggesting thet the fix Hotpoint proposes is inadequate and the dryers remain unsafe, so doubt has arisen over the efficay of the process used to make the dryer 'safe'. My advice is to go for the credit card company' if you used a card' and re claim that way as the dryer was not fit for purpose when it was sold to you new, or if you did not use a credit card go back to the retailer with the till receipt. They cannot claim that you brought it a long time ago and you have had your wear out of it, because at the time of sale it was not suitable for sale to the public. Whatever you decide, do it quickly as I see Hopoint etc going into liquidation over this issue to avoid payouts. Good luck

Edited by Vicechairvillagehall

• 4 months later...

I have an indesit one, I've registered it with them for the repair... but been told that could take up to 12 months to happen... the only thing they've done is try to con me into paying for a new one at a discounted price.

I can't claim anything back because it was a house warming gift from my uncle, who has since passed away. He purchased it in 2013 from a shop near him in Liverpool (I live 180 miles further South).

I'm stuck with either having to pay out a further £99 for a replacement or having no tumble dryer at all until it's repaired... and my trust in anything from this company is now zero... they knew about this fault for years and did nothing, and are still doing nothing and nothing is being done about it... The fact that people could be killed by these dangerous products is of little importance and there seems to be zero accountability for companies who sell lethal products.

Any advice on the matter would be appreciated... and kinda shocked that there is very little info on this site regarding them and what you can do about it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 4 weeks later...

I told them I was going to speak to my MP about this disgrace, about the way they've handled it and the way they are trying to con people out of more money for a replacement for the lethal product they sold for more than a decade.

Low and behold... mine was repaired very quickly indeed. I saw exactly what the engineer did and if you never clean out your dryer more than every few months... you're at risk. Clean the filter every time you use it and the condensor every month... When he removed the back panel on mine to check if any fluff had gotten in... not a speck had gotten past.

I have used it twice since then... but I'm still reluctant and I make sure my smoke alarm is working, I'm also fitting another smoke alarm in that room.... I also close the door to the utility room and will be fitting a fire door there when I do the kitchen next year.