Instant overdraft request fee - unpaid dd

paperphobia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2738 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

An internet payment fell on a time when I had no money in my account to cover it because of work situation.

Santander felt the necessity to charge me for an "instant overdraft request fee" and because I did phone and get it cancelled earlier this year (it happened before) they are "unable" to do it.

they want to steal £25 off me this time because... NOTHING actually happened:

the money never came out of my account,

the internet company didnt get paid (because they sent me another invoice),

my account has no overdraft capability,

and santander feels I owe them £25 now for effectively "requesting"

and overdraft on some account that never has an overdraft facility which I never did.

Seems to me this is a good way of creaming on people that are most likely to have bouncing direct debits

But I thought if there is no money in your account then it is declined and.... that is it:

the company I owe then contact me to get their money,

no charges or fees or some punitive cropping from the bank.

What options to get back the money do I have?

If a direct debit cannot be paid then what is all the deal with overdraft requests.

Sounds like a bit of tricksterism to me, I never would agree to having this changed on my account.

Thanks in advance

Hi paper

But it wasn't a direct debit...I assume it was a one off payment using your debit card ?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hey! No its a standing order, it comes out every month but the type on the statement is "instant overdraft request fee - unpaid dd" which I gather means direct debit..

One and the same as far as their concerned..you requested payment from the account when there was insufficient funds...therefore they slap you with the charge.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thing is if it is the same then why does the same not happen if I use my debit card? It gets declined and I cant buy the object. Also I dont actually have an overdraft capability on this account so I dont get why it would be regarded as an overdraft request because if there is no money then there is no transaction.

If there is no money in my account then it is declined and the company dont get paid and then tell me about it and I then resolve it. How do they figure making 25 when there is nothing essentially lost on the banks part?

Debit card transactions are different to direct debit/standing order terms and conditions