SCS sofa ordered july, wont be here till november - help!

StephensonL
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2686 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I'm new to this site but In DESPERATE need of advice!

On the 16th of July 2016 I signed a contract with SCS on a sofa order;

may I add that it is my first sofa so in the meantime I have absolutely nothing to sit on and my 3 year old son simply now has a been bag which cost me £50.

The sale was by the Sales Manager of a branch in Scotland,

she had full knowledge that I am a working single parent

(this changed her attitude when doing a credit check and confirmed I could get a sofa up to the value of £6000 when dealing with me),

The sales manager was also made aware that as this was my first property myself and my son have nothing to sit on in the mean time and also that my son is only 3 years old- 4 in a couple of weeks.

When conducting the sale I was ensured that I would only have to wait the 12 weeks time scale at the very latest and was never once informed of the small print which states there is a 4 week leeway period.

After chasing my order up numerous times I have now been informed that my Sofa will 100% not be in the distribution centre until the 8th/11th of November which is past my 12 weeks time scale and also the additional 4 week leeway period.

Can anyone advice me on what do now here as I am stumped!

I have incurred a terribley sore back now but am broken hearted seeing my son being fed up sitting on the floor asking why we don't have a couch like others, he doesn't even want to stay in our new house because he's fed up on the floor in his own words.

Should I take out a credit card and buy one elsewhere with immediate delivery and cancel the order as soon as the 4 weeks leeway period has also passed or what?

Any help would be appreciated so much ... thanks in avnace for any help !!!

Did you buy this sofa online or over the telephone or did you go to the shop?

Regardless of the answer to this, if they have exceeded their delivery period and also their leeway. Then it seems to me that you are entitled to cancel the order immediately. Have they taken any money from you?

You must do everything in writing. If you want to cancel the order then write them a letter straightaway and make sure you send it by special delivery – not recorded – so that it arrives tomorrow. Keep a copy. Keep a copy of all post office receipts et cetera. Make it clear that as they have exceeded all the time limits specified in their contract you are now terminating the contract. You want a full refund of any money that you have paid within seven days.

Let us know what happens.

Of course, this is your own private business so please excuse me for suggesting this – but have you not thought about getting a second-hand sofa from eBay for instance? There are some fantastic things to be had and you can probably spend the same kind of money that you have committed to this new sofa to getting a much more upmarket and better quality item.

I have to say that I'm a bit of an eBay fanatic and I buy everything from eBay including furniture and a lot of clothing. Which sofa did you buy?

• 1 month later...

Should I take out a credit card and buy one elsewhere

No.

As suggested in the other post, you should look on eBay for any used sofas in your area.

House clearance auctions are also worth investigating.

The difference is that you can get something to sit on for a fiver rather than for a fiver per week.

If you look for credit to buy things you are always going to be under the thumb of the credit providers and people like SCS.

You can consider giving SCS a few weeks to either come up with the goods or you will cancel, but how you act will depend on if you paid a deposit, how you paid it and how much it was.

There's a 2-seat sofa here that I got for a couple of pounds from a house clearance auction.

There's nothing wrong with it but I'll be rearranging things soon and, if I don't find someone who wants it, I might auction it on eBay with a 1p start. It's likely that I am not in your area but the chances are that there is someone in a similar situation near you.

To find the dates and places for house clearance auctions,

look in your local newspaper or phone round the people listed under "auctioneer" in the yellow pages.

Yes, you can get a decent sofa for £5.

For £10 you can get one in a colour that you like.

For £20 you can have a leather one.

If you don't have a car to strap it to,

you might pay the same again for delivery but my view is that it's far better to have something which isn't going to make you want to scream when your son scribbles on it.