• Tweets

• Sorry I didn’t think to come and update this.    So the outcome was that he went to court. Apparently the judge told the landlord off for not sending a letter before action but did nothing about it. He didn’t accept all the damages the landlord claimed, and told him off for accusing my friend of deliberately and maliciously damaging anything, and he awarded him small amounts of the damages he claimed for. The landlord had also made an awful lot of things up that never existed and accused my friend of stealing them, and the judge didn’t accept any of those claims.   However, I’m back asking advice now. So he made an offer of payment via the court forms, sometime before Christmas and straight after the hearing. The landlord didn’t reply so the court accepted the payments.  My friend has been paying the £10 a month each month. Then a couple of days ago he had received a letter from court with a hearing date in a couple of weeks, and a very irate letter from the landlord saying that my friend has consistently lied and that nothing he says should be believed, and that he wants the bailiffs to be called on him and that he absolutely refuses the payment plan. The letter is marked as received by the courts in December and this is the first that’s been sent since then. My friend and his wife are now panicked, what does this mean? And can they now get bailiffs sent round? He earns an ok wage, which somehow the landlord has referred to in his letter, but he equally has a lot of expenditure and can’t afford to pay any more. What will happen at this hearing and can they send out the bailiffs just because the landlord wants them to?    I have no clue what to advise him, can you help at all please?
    • Thanks Bank – I took your cynicism / experience on board and responded thus: Thank you for your response Mr Schnur  I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed. Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729).  My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands.
    • The other thing is that you are making a big mistake imagining that they are at all concerned about wasting court costs et cetera. They are only concerned about being obstructive and discouraging others.  
    • I have dad's last will from 2019 which mentions the trust. I am in the process of going through probate as the only thing that needs probate is a couple of shares he has (under £3000).  Speaking to my brother and my dad's wife they wouldn't mind going with another solicitor if we need to pay extra for the trust.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think the DUP recognise just how important they are to TM's plans and are not making things easy for her - it was a foregone conclusion that they would have a shopping list that it is not going to be possible to agree to.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/20/eu-citizens-in-britain-to-be-asked-to-register-for-post-brexit-status

EU citizens in Britain to be asked to register for post-Brexit status

Ministers planning stocktake of Europeans living in the UK to gauge demand for residency applications

The government is preparing to announce a registration process for the estimated 3 million EU citizens living in the UK, as a first step towards regularising their legal status post-Brexit.

It is understood ministers will unveil plans inviting all EU citizens to officially “register their interest” in acquiring documentation allowing them to live and work in the country after 2019 when Britain is scheduled to leave the European bloc.

The government is hoping the stocktaking exercise will help it understand the scale of the demand for residency applications once Britain leaves the EU and prevent an overwhelming avalanche of applications on Brexit day.

The registration process is expected to be part of a new scheme tailor-made for EU citizens already living in the UK.

It will not be linked to the current and controversial permanent residency process, which requires applicants to submit mountains of paperwork to demonstrate they have a right to remain in the country.

There is no legal obligation for EU citizens to apply for residency cards, but many have been panicked into applying for the document as they see it as the only way to prove their status after Brexit takes effect.

Have other European countries put in place something to protect UK citizens living and working there - especially as one of the moans from Europe appears to only be concerned with those Europeans living / working in the UK ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think the DUP recognise just how important they are to TM's plans and are not making things easy for her - it was a foregone conclusion that they would have a shopping list that it is not going to be possible to agree to.

So the Torys just stall to try to get the queens speech passed without the 'social blight' policies mentioned but that they will hope to implement in the more normal stealth method.

Now, wouldn't it be just something if the other Irish side decide that in this case, justified by the potential impact on the Irish balance, they decide to quite justifiably break their standing policy and come and vote against May in Parliament.

Talk about poetic justice ...

Reuters thinks that given the complete disarray, the repeal of the EU repeal bill is a now a major possibility.

Particularly if the Tory remain and business lobby groups unite. Although that would presumably mean that labour would need to get Corbyn to shift his policy.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-rebels-idUKKBN19B3A7

"If such a scenario is looming, they would have the numbers to pass an amendment to the EU repeal bill ... cancelling (it)," the BBC's political editor Nicholas Watt said, citing senior Conservatives.

I think Corbyn would block that.

and Given:

* The shambolic and completely unprepared start to the Brexit negotiations by the British side

(They obviously expected a hard no deal Brexit and were just going to waffle on pretending otherwise)

* The similarly shambolic Tory approach to the negotiations with the DUP - reported by the DUP (link higher up thread)

* The similary shambolic sound bites with absolutely NO substance from Labour

PLUS

The complete split in the country along at least 3 or 4 fracture lines, which will NOT be healed by:

* Either a hard Brexit which leaves the country far poorer - apart from the mega rich who use it as a tax haven

* or a soft Brexit that just leaves Britain with immigrants, EU law and EU payments (all the pain, none of the gain - because there was NO GAIN in Brexit)

Its one completel mess thats just getting worse by the minute.

The 10 Brexit compromises Theresa May won't talk about

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/19/10-brexit-compromises-theresa-may-britain

and regarding your other point CB, dont forget its the EU that has always insisted that citizens rights (both EU and UK) are dealt with FIRST, and have proven they meant it in the first day of negotiations

May and Daffy wanted to use them as hostages.

Edited by Andyorch
edited

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

Just a thought

- people do realise that Corbyns policies put the UK more in alignment with French and German government policies

- dont they?

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/20/eu-citizens-in-britain-to-be-asked-to-register-for-post-brexit-status

Have other European countries put in place something to protect UK citizens living and working there - especially as one of the moans from Europe appears to only be concerned with those Europeans living / working in the UK ?

There you go CB

May's bluff well and truly called

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/22/theresa-may-match-eu-offer-free-movement-britons-europe

The Tory Legacy

and Brexit voting farming areas already seeing the issues they generated

Farms hit by labour shortage as migrant workers shun 'racist' UK

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/22/farms-hit-by-labour-shortage-as-migrant-workers-shun-racist-uk

The Tory Legacy

Without going with the usual rabid dog politics of the people voted, One Gnawing question remains. What legal authority does the present Government have in triggering Article 50?

The reason I ask this is that the Referendum bill was advisory only. At no time was it stated the result will be incorporated into law.

Any takers on this one?

Without going with the usual rabid dog politics of the people voted, One Gnawing question remains. What legal authority does the present Government have in triggering Article 50?

The reason I ask this is that the Referendum bill was advisory only. At no time was it stated the result will be incorporated into law.

Any takers on this one?

I think this question was asked before, OD - and there were no takers :lol:

It is something that has puzzled me as well - Cameron just upped and left after the votes were counted - I guess either right or wrong, it was just assumed that the Referendum was meant to be taken seriously.

If he didnt mean for it to be taken seriously, why did he not stay and deal with the outcome - tell people that it was just advisory and that he would work harder to get changes made within Europe as a Member of the club ?

BCOBS

BCOBS

This election, in fact any election and most politics for the foreseeable future is intimately tied into Brexit.

I;m no legal expert, but it seems to me Hard Brexit is a fact in 18 moths unless something else is negotiated in the meantime.

More fudging.

The Tory Legacy

Any takers on this one?

We might call them lying, self serving toerags, but other countries call them lawmakers.

They pass a bill - job done - as was the case with Corbym whipping the gutless Labour MP's to support Mays bill.

The Tory Legacy

Some figures from a top Tory on some of the projected costs/losses to the UK of Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/03/service-industry-warns-of-brexit-damage

* 400,000 jobs

* UK trade falling by between £67bn and £92bn a year even in the event of a free trade deal

and thats 'just' the services industry - the largest industry in the UK.

and from the Tory chancellor

- no wonder May wanted rid of him, as well as rid of his predecessor

We haven't even started to see figures for the impact to agriculture and Farming yet although they are being hit HARD by even the relatively small reduction in immigrant labour so far.

The Tory Legacy

Old article and would be described by leavers as part of project fear.

Brexit will hurt economy and many who support are not bothered. They might if their pensions and investments were at risk.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Brexit will hurt economy and many who support are not bothered. They might if their pensions and investments were at risk.

yes but the evidence is now showing and even Hammond is showing it.

£122 Billion increased borrowing (more debt passed on to future governments) attributable to Brexit - and that doesn't include the £1Billion DUP payday.

The simple facts of reductions in those terrible migrant benefit claiming immigrant workers, both skilled and unskilled

- all looking elsewhere without the UK government having to pass a single law and impacting the farmers profits who didnt want them - until now.

The shambolic clueless 'negotiating' of May and Davies which clearly indicate they have no preparation, and had no plan apart from drag it out in secret until hard Brexit

Dont forget May wanted this all done in secret - its the the EU said NO our citizens must be informed.

The utter certainty that the EU will carry out its declared and clear stances, it has taken the time so far to become prepared and very very ready - unlike our side.

The EU says: - state your opening position

May/Davies says: - we want our cake and your cake and we want to eat it too.

The EU says: Seriously, tell us your position so we can start negotiating and work together to make the best we can of this terrible situation.

A week or two later May/Davies says: - we want our cake and your cake and we want to eat it too.

The EU says: - That is not going to happen as you should know. Let us know when you have something to say worth listening too. Time is ticking on.

In the meantime we are preparing for your apparently proffered hard Brexit and moving UK based functions to the EU. There are many countries who will love the business.

It is proving much easier than we thought it would be.

I suggest you make your arrangements to deal with these issues and inform your citizens as we do.

Adieu

https://qz.com/1011131/happy-birthday-brexit-one-year-later-and-its-still-unclear-what-brexit-really-means/?utm_source=YPL&yptr=yahoo

Brexit is the biggest mismanaged mistake since Suez.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/brexit/five-reasons-to-expect-a-softer-brexit-and-another-five-that-say-plan-for-worst/ar-BBD0YF8

http://www.cityam.com/251776/leaked-government-documents-reveal-75bn-cost-hard-brexit

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thank-jeremy-corbyn-not-theresa-154200281.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-23/brexit-bulletin-hammond-autumn-statement-to-outline-cost-of-vote

The Tory Legacy

EU citizens in the UK aren't happy about the Maybot's 'generous' offer. They're leaving already.

Article in the Guardian on Brexodus. What were the government thinking?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/29/brexodus-eu-nationals-citizenship-uk-brexit

The easy answer is 'Brexit means Brexit'

What we really need to understand is this would appear to be what people voted Brexit for in large numbers.

Did 99% of those who voted Brexit vote to end immigration? Even though we now know that much of the permanent immigration has nothing to do with the EU?

Who knows, but I dont think for a second that was the case.

I'm going to repeat it yet again -

The ONLY thing that gives Brexit as served at the referendum (Brexit means Brexit) - is Hard Brexit

I have absolutely no doubts that Brexit with deals for the Financiers and under ECJ while everyone else pays similar actual fees as we do now but without the membership and benefits is NOT what was voted for.

I am also certain that Brexit with free movement, EU Law and fees isn't what was voted for,

If people dont want that - then write to your MP. A few million letters or a 20 million signature petition might do something.

The Tory Legacy

Ireland says dozen City firms and banks to set up in Dublin over Brexit

Japanese bank Nomura chooses Frankfurt for EU headquarters after UK's withdrawal

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-nomura-bank-relocates-frankfurt-eu-headquarters-european-base-london-city-germany-a7802081.html

Ireland says dozen City firms and banks to set up in Dublin over Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/29/ireland-says-dozen-london-based-banks-to-relocate-to-dublin-over-brexit

We should know more by the end of next month

Edited by Andyorch
edited

The Tory Legacy

and Corbyn shows his true colours

Corbyn sacks three frontbenchers after single market vote

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/29/jeremy-corbyn-sacks-three-frontbenchers-after-single-market-vote?

"Andy Slaughter, Catherine West and Ruth Cadbury voted for amendment calling for UK to stay in EU single market"

"A fourth frontbencher, Daniel Zeichner, the MP for pro-remain Cambridge, stepped down as shadow transport minister before the vote, arguing that he had to back the position on principle."

The amendment attracted the support of 101 MPs across different parties, including 49 Labour politicians who defied the leadership. It called for the government not to leave the EU without a deal, to guarantee a parliamentary vote on the final outcome of negotiations

The Tory Legacy

There has to be a Parliamentary vote on the outcome of negotiations as well as another Referendum if we have access to the single market or customs union.

It is contained within the European Union Act 2011

Wjy are people not even mentioning this in our media?

There has to be a Parliamentary vote on the outcome of negotiations as well as another Referendum if we have access to the single market or customs union.

It is contained within the European Union Act 2011

Wjy are people not even mentioning this in our media?

Because acts can be repealed.

Dont forget Cameron said it was a simple in/out referendum (either repeal or just notify then leave if the vote was leave)

Even ignoring the blatant misrepresentations like the 'vote leave and get 350M a week extra for the NHS,

The rhetoric, almost exclusively if not entirely exclusively from the leave campaigns including senior party politicians = also sold a leave vote as a bargaining chip for better terms.

At that point the referendum was compromised. It was no longer a simple in/out vote as sold, as initially presented, and as offered on the ballot paper.

Its just got worse since.

The Tory Legacy

and as Gove adds to the mountain of Tory openly declared stances that will force a Hard Brexit no matter what

Britain says will move to control EU fishing in its waters

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-bill-idUKKBN19M3UX

May appears to be falling back on last resorts to ensure hard Brexit rather than going to the people and listening to what they really want

May could walk out of Brexit talks over exit bill - Telegraph

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-bill-idUKKBN19M3UX

For any who still had doubts - hopefully you are all beginning to see that a Hard Brext was always intended.

The only issue was whether negotiations got the financiers special treatment from the EU.

The Tory Legacy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-vote-leave-director-dominic-cummings-leave-eu-error-nhs-350-million-lie-bus-a7822386.html?amp

Never ceases to amaze me, how we have the blind leading the blind. 52% of the population decide they would quite like being lemmings and will just see how it goes.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-vote-leave-director-dominic-cummings-leave-eu-error-nhs-350-million-lie-bus-a7822386.html?amp

Never ceases to amaze me, how we have the blind leading the blind. 52% of the population decide they would quite like being lemmings and will just see how it goes.

Good Headline Unc,

Brexit: Vote Leave chief who created £350m NHS claim on bus admits leaving EU could be 'an error'

Dominic Cummings also described the referendum as a 'dumb idea' - shaping up to be a 'guaranteed debacle'

I think rather than lemmings, it should be described as

'all those people who followed those shouting 'free lunch this way' 'free lunch this way',

while those who were doing the shouting had their mates run the crowd picking all their pockets.

This is worth a read too from the rational side

http://www.cer.eu/insights/britain-prepares-softer-brexit

and from the very less than rational side

Brexit: Minister appointed to negotiate Britain's withdrawal wants European Union 'wholly torn down'

Exclusive: Steve Baker MP makes comments at right-wing Libertarian Alliance conference in 2010

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-european-union-eu-steve-baker-theresa-may-wholly-torn-down-libertarian-alliance-a7820721.html

The Tory Legacy

as Japan moves closer to not needing Car manufacturing in the UK with potential devastating impacts to employment and sales for UK car industry

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/04/business/economy/eu-japan-trade-g20-trump.html?emc=edit_mbe_20170706&nl=morning-briefing-europe&nlid=80833938&te=1

The European Union and Japan have signaled that they plan to announce a broad agreement on trade on Thursday

Ambitious free and fair trade deal in the making,” Donald Tusk, the president of the European Union, tweeted on Monday.

Among other things, the pact would eliminate a 10 percent duty that the E.U. imposes on Japanese car imports, while removing obstacles that European automakers face in Japan.

The Tory Legacy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks