Ticket for passing red light, do you need to give insurance info if another driver?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2759 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine got a ticket for going through a red light,

however he cannot remember who was driving the car whether it was him or a friend that has now moved back to India.

He has requested a photo to help him,

however if it was his friend,

he can provide all details,

would they request insurance documents

or would that be upto his friend to provide that information?

Ticket? Define!

Do you mean a letter from the police, as in a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP)? Clearly, it was from a camera, and they don't know who the driver was, so the registered keeper (you) will be given the option to provide the details of who was driving at the time (i.e. was it you, or someone else?).

Red light cameras are nearly always from behind, so the likelihood of being able to identify the driver from that is remote. You will have to make your best guess as to who was driving from the details given on the NIP, and act accordingly.

They are unlikely to pursue anyone who is now in India BUT failure to provide driver's details and/or knowingly giving false information will attract a much harsher penalty than you'll get for running a red light (unless there are other factors like excessive speed or you're already banned, or untaxed/uninsured).

They are unlikely to pursue anyone who is now in India BUT failure to provide driver's details and/or knowingly giving false information will attract a much harsher penalty than you'll get for running a red light (unless there are other factors like excessive speed or you're already banned, or untaxed/uninsured).

To expand on this - 'they' could suspect the person who (conveniently) moved to India, within the few days between the Red Light event and the NIP, may be less than he appeared (or disappeared!).

A huge number of the UK population could no doubt give details of someone in India who is prepared to ignore anything in the post from HM Plod. In such doubt 'they' could well ask the RK for confirmation/proof the Indian was insured to drive the car at the time/date.

If it transpired the Indian had in fact driven without insurance in place I think there is then the real possibility of the RK/owner being prosecuted following allowing someone to use his car without insurance - which I note was an initial concern of the OP.

But that is probably a lesser offence than attempting to pervert the course of Justice.

But if the recent emigrant was listed as an insured driver, I agree with Oddfellow. List his/her details on the NIP and send it back. Then be prepared to support further enquiries as to if he/she could have been legitimately driving the OP's car - a fair proof being named on the insurance schedule/certificate (and the insurer was aware of a foreign licence?).

I may be totally unkind but a quote from Sir Walter Scott's Marmion springs to mind "What a tangled web we weave when at first we begin to deceive."

Guest roaringmouse

I suggest your ''friend'' posts here himself because I think YOU were the driver and you are making up some nonsense hoping to get away with it.

Bit too quick to judge some people... I have family in the USA and sometimes they come here and drive my car which is insured for any UK driving license holder over the age of 25 and likewise I go there and drive on my UK license, so it can and does happen. Constructive help would be to fill in the NIP with the drivers details and send it back so they at least have a response, after that they can decide how to proceed and if there is any liability for the registered owner of the vehicle.

I suggest your ''friend'' posts here himself because I think YOU were the driver and you are making up some nonsense hoping to get away with it.

Less of that please. I dont know what sites youve posted on elsewhere, but on here we provide helpful info and do not judge.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D