Second hand car, head gasket broken after 2 weeks

Alex.c
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. My name is Alex, I bought a Skoda Fabia 1.4 mpi on the 12 of september for 600£ from a local car dealer. I checked online and has MOT until aug 2017. He said he won't give me warranty as he only does for cars worth over 1000£ but if I have any problems to just go back to him. Aftet 2 weeks after a 15 min drive it started to over heat. I stopped and checked coolant level, and then took it to the nearest service. They told me it's the thermostat and head gasket and it would cost me over 400£ to fix it. I called the guy who sold me the car and he said he would take it to another shop. The problem is that I believe he should support the cost of the repairs or give me a refund for the car as only 2 weeks have passed since the purchase until it had broken down. What is my next legal step if he does not want to do either?

Doesn't anybody have any advice? I would like to know at least if I have the right to claim anything from him. Beeing the head gasket that has broken some may argue that I caused the fault.

You need to be quick as you need to reject the vehicle in writing to the dealer within 30 days from purchase

When you buy a second-hand car from a dealer, you have the right under the Consumer Rights Act to expect the car to:

• be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
  • meet any description given to you when you were buying it (whether in the advert or in discussions prior to sale)
  • be fit for purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely)

The warranty excuse is crap as well from the dealer. One to three months warranty is a common period used by traders is not because that is what they have decided is fair but its because they know thats generally what a court would decide is fair

How did you pay for the car??

Edited by obiter dictum

The invoice I have from the seller says "test driven, checked, teade sale as seen, all future repairs will be done by the buyer". Does this cancel my right to a repair/refund?

Ok, so I called the bank for a charceback (because it's a debit card) and they said I need the receipt wich I have, a report from the service wich they gave me and proof that I returned the car. How do I get that?

Guest roaringmouse

Trade sale huh? Well, unless YOU are a trade sale, it is not a trade sale is it!

As you paid by debit card and not credit card, the bank is not liable unlike a credit card company would be.

Letter before action stating you reject the car, then sue for the full refund via County Court.

Guest roaringmouse

Court fee is £35, which is added to the total they have to pay if you win (which you will).

If you made ANY repairs (even a light bulb) add those costs on. Ideally you want the claim to be in excess of £600* before court fees. You also charge interest at 8% per annum. The online form is easy but ask here if you get stuck, BUT write to the deal;er first and give them 14 days in which to pay. mark your letter 'letter before action' and send it by signed for service.

Keep the letter to the point and say that you are rejecting the vehicle and that you want a full refund within 14 days or you will without further notice issue county court proceedings.

Ask here BEFORE doing anything else.

*£600 is the amount above which you can transfer to the high court if you win and the dealer does not pay - google 'meet the sherifs' and you will see how effective they are at collecting the payment, especially from car dealers.