Housing Benefit suspended since March Possession Order now in place.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

MP's are a law unto themselves! Absolutely criminal that they brushed you off like this, of course there is something they can do, otherwise they wouldn't be a ruddy MP! Makes my teeth itch.

Actually, when you go to the website to write to your MP it does say that MPs cannot help with local authority government issues, only things to do with central government, such as the DWP.

I wrote to mine about an issue with the DWP and got first class, super fast service so I can't complain. It may be different if you claim UC, because the housing element is also paid as part of your UC as opposed to separately by the LA.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You say they have to, is there policy for this that I can use when I go in tomorrow?

2&3 are covered here

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/identifying-your-need-for-housing

Our priority is to help you avoid becoming homeless. We can do this by negotiating with the people you live with or your landlord, giving you advice, or by helping you find another home quickly.

If we cannot stop you from becoming homeless we may have to give you temporary housing while we investigate if we have a duty to provide longer term housing. In the first place this is likely to be hotel type accommodation. Half of our temporary accommodation is outside Westminster.

Councils no longer have a duty to offer homeless people a council or housing association home but can instead offer them a property with a private landlord.

This is a guide to the tests we must apply under the 1996 Housing Act (as amended by the 2002 Homelessness Act) to decide whether we have a duty to house you.

iirc i think the the MP thing is correct you should approach your local Counsellor and then the Head of the Council.

Two letters in today post

First from County Court informing me that my landlord has permission to transfer enforcement to the high court.

Second my award letter, which still has my self employed income at over double what I earn and therefore the incorrect calculation for housing benefit. It does say that I have been underpaid £2663 and they are applying that to the over-payment (calculated from the wrong employment income). Can they do that, this payment would have been a step in the right direction with my landlord!

The response to my appeal said that as they found in my favour the appeal would now be closed, but they did not address all of the points in my appeal. The one that was the most important was the amount of self employed income they have me earning. they haven't given me any way to respond to it, and any correspondence sent in to Housing Benefit takes at least 10 days to look at.

I am at my wits end, it's so difficult just to get it sorted out.

Speak to the Chief Exec's office and tell them that if the matter si not correctly considered you are going to a tribunal and the local govt ombusdman. That will take time you dont have but the CE has the power to kick the backside of whoever is being obstinate (probably a junior rather than a senior) and revisit the claim with the correct figures.

You may well end up having to persuade the LGO to determine maladministration and seek a financail remedy via the courts as the ombudsmand only orders a small sum for pain and suffering.

The problem is the law allows the council to make adverse assumptions so you will have to show they are wrong in fact and law in how they ahve carried on. Let them know you are going after them all the way when you speak to the CE's office.