style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2740 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I stupidly declared on the doorstep with the TV licensing that I had been using a tv without a license for a month due to changing banks and not setting up a DD,

I have then received a letter from marstons saying I had 7 days to pay £490 pounds or they would send an enforcement officer round to collect goods.

I tried to set up a payment plan but they wanted the full amount or £130 a week.

I told them I was unable to afford this as I'm a single parent of 2 with a low income I wish I had 130 a week myself.

The lady on the phone just told me that the bailiffs will then be sent out rather snotty and put the phone down on me.

I have since paid off 139 from the debt.

Last Friday an enforcement officer turned up at my door and walked straight in.

I was at work and my 13 year old son who was staying with a neighbour was outside,

my son spoke to him and the bailiff asked him when I was going to be home as he was coming to get our things.

He then posted a letter saying he will be back one morning this week,

one evening this week

, this weekend

or today after 7pm. Fees now 560.

I got home from work 5/9/16 and a letter had been hand posted saying he will be back with a locksmith and will enter if I'm in the premises or not.

I called the baillif and asked to set up a payment plan and was told that he wasn't able to do that. And he will be round one morning this week to collect goods.

My kids are petrified he will come in when they are asleep and also when they are getting ready for school,

I can't sleep myself and I just don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I want to pay the debt but I can't afford what they are wanting.

I think I'm actually going mental :( please help me

Hello,

I stupidly declared on the doorstep with the TV licensing that I had been using a tv without a license for a month due to changing banks and not setting up a DD, I have then received a letter from marstons saying I had 7 days to pay £490 pounds or they would send an enforcement officer round to collect goods.

It may make you feel better to know that 10% of all fines issued through the Magistrate Court relate to using a TV without a Licence.

Before getting to the very late stage of bailiff enforcement, you should have received a lot of documentation, the most important being the initial summons from the court. Attached to the summons would have been a Means Enquiry Form. Did you receive the summons? Did you complete the attached Means Enquiry Form and return the summons?

The next notice would have been a Notice of Fine from the court outlining the amount of fine and relevant prosecution costs and victims surcharge. Did you receive this?

The final document from the court would have been the Further Steps Notice. The is a warning letter that the court would be issuing a warrant unless paid. Did you receive this notice?

Why did you not goto the court hearing and let the judge know it was for 1 month only?

If you had setup the dd there and then it would never of gone to court.as they would have back dated it automatic ally.

I,d wait for BA to arrive I'm not sure what's best here but it stinks

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I never received a notice of fines or a further steps notice and I didn't go to court as I was in the hospital with my mum at the time who had a stroke. I wasn't able to set up a DD as my bank has changed to not be able to DD due to working with step change they asked me to change banks. I did ask for a payment card to be sent out.

I also only have 2 tvs in the house not much else, my mobile I need for work as a support worker and my sofa is on HP with homebuy what else would they be taking?? The bailiff on the call said he will be taking everything he can when I said I have nothing he said you will have even less when I'm finished

Why did you not goto the court hearing and let the judge know it was for 1 month only? If you had setup the dd there and then it would never of gone to court.as they would have back dated it automatic ally.

Dx

Not so I'm afraid DX.

What happens is that the TV Enquiry Agent will visit the property and ask questions about the TV etc (like model number, when was the last time you watched TV and how long the person has been watching TV without a licence etc).

He will then ask the person to sign a form. Barely anyone bothers to even read this form . If they did, they would realise that the document is a Prosecution Statement and it states that the information will be used in evidence for forthcoming proceedings for using a TV without a licence.

At the same time, the TV Enquiry Agent will get the individual to set up a direct debit for a new TV Licence going forward. They will NEVER backdate.

Aw that's a shame

Must have changed since ruddy capita

I remember missing a dd twice and each time it got ba kdated the month

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I also only have 2 tvs in the house not much else, my mobile I need for work as a support worker and my sofa is on HP with homebuy what else would they be taking?? The bailiff on the call said he will be taking everything he can when I said I have nothing he said you will have even less when I'm finished

Please take no notice of what the bailiff has said. He is wrong. He can only take 'non exempt' items. I will post up a list of 'exempt' items in a few moments.

I never received a notice of fines or a further steps notice and I didn't go to court as I was in the hospital with my mum at the time who had a stroke. I wasn't able to set up a DD as my bank has changed to not be able to DD due to working with step change they asked me to change banks. I did ask for a payment card to be sent out

What I was trying to get at was whether or not you had received the summons?

Also, you mentioned above that you asked for a payment card to be sent to you. Who did you contact about this?

Never admit anything to a Capita TVL salesperson say sod all and slam the door in their face.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I asked for a payment card through the TV salesperson as he asked how I would like to continue with payments. I said weekly with a payment card. He then said he will get one sent through the post. I never received this and completely forgot about it. I have since got a tv license card and I am paying weekly.

What I was trying to get at was whether or not you had received the summons?

Also, you mentioned above that you asked for a payment card to be sent to you. Who did you contact about this?

I asked for a payment card through the TV salesperson as he asked how I would like to continue with payments. I said weekly with a payment card. He then said he will get one sent through the post. I never received this and completely forgot about it. I have since got a tv license card and I am paying weekly.

What I was trying to find out from you last night was whether or not you had grounds to contact the court to get a Statutory Declaration. In most cases, the court will only allow such an application to be made within 21 days of becoming aware of the fine. When you mentioned that you had asked for a payment card, I assumed that you had received notification from the court about the fine and had asked them for a payment card. If so, you would not be allowed to submit a Statutory Declaration.

If you had not received the summons, then a Statutory Declaration is the correct route.

What you need to do is to find out which court issued the fine. Ring the court and get as much details as possible about the fine (reference number, when the fine was issued, etc.). If that court is still your local one, then you need to advise that you had not received the summons and ask for an appointment for a Statutory Declaration. In most cases that I assist with, the court will then contact Marston Group to get the account put on hold for a period of time (usually one month).

If the issuing court is not your local one, please post back.

Never admit anything to a Capita TVL salesperson say sod all and slam the door in their face.

Yep the best advice. No need to be rude, just politely say, Im busy right now and close the door.

Far too many people incriminate themselves within the first few seconds, its ridiculous, without these admissions, 95% of cases would never be brought in the first place.

and they

• 3 weeks later...
i am having a very similar thing for a friend for marston baillifs. the case was at warwickshire and he lives in birmingham. he doesnt know what to do. the letter is the same that they will be back. he is on benefits and the fine is £672. please advise asap

Hi saneperson.

You need to start a new thread of your own please.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

i am having a very similar thing for a friend for marston baillifs. the case was at warwickshire and he lives in birmingham. he doesnt know what to do. the letter is the same that they will be back. he is on benefits and the fine is £672. please advise asap

you need to

start a new thread

of you own please

dx

and they