Repossession.

MollingtonM
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2792 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, everyone.

I'm desperately seeking some advice.

I have a house in an EU country which is likely to be repossessed (I'm currently paying all of the interest accrued but not the loan itself).

If/when this property is/were to be repossessed how does this effect my other property in another EU country?

In effect, will I lose the second house (permanent residence) as a result of losing the first property?

Many thanks, in advance, to anybody who has the time or knowledge to respond.

Kind regards.

Two separate mortgages, presumably with different lenders and subject to French & Irish laws respectively. Wouldn't have thought that the repossession of one property would have any detrimental effect on the other in my opinion. The only problem I can see is if one of the lenders made the OP bankrupt, then the Official Receiver might consider the remaining property to be an asset.

It would be worthwhile consulting a solicitor familiar with cross border debts and seeking some expert advice.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks Mr P,

The principal property, in France, is fully paid for. Nothing owing at all.

The debt is on the property in Ireland.

My worry is that, should the Irish property be repossessed, I will lose the French one as well.

Kind regards,

M.

Another site team member has provided me with a link that may be of interest: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/losing_your_home/home_repossession.html

If the mortgage was taken out before 1st Dec. 2009, the following quote may provide some comfort:

In 2011, a High Court [in Ireland] decision established that there were legal difficulties with getting orders for possession of certain properties. This decision was made in a number of cases where mortgage providers were applying to repossess mortgaged property.

Put simply, the decision meant that, in the case of mortgages created before 1 December 2009, it was very difficult for a mortgage provider to get an order for possession unless the court proceedings were started before that date.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.