New plastic £5 Goes Into Circulation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The old paper £5 is being replaced with a plastic note on September 13.

The new note will be phased in so that by May 2017 it will have replaced the old fiver altogether – shops will then stop accepting paper £5 notes as legal tender.

The Bank of England claims the new plastic pounds are:

• Resistant to dirt and moisture so stay cleaner for longer than paper banknotes
  • More secure so will provide enhanced counterfeit resilience
  • More durable so will increase the quality of banknotes in circulation

"shops will then stop accepting paper £5 notes as legal tender"

This is a misuse of the term "legal tender" which has a specific meaning in law.

In any case many shops are likely to accept the paper £5, for a time at least, in order to make a sale and pay them into their bank.

I can't stand the 'plastic fiver's' had them for a while in Scotland even the bank staff try to get shot of them.

Once folded it's a nightmare trying to get them to straighten out again or even fold them in a different direction (if that makes any sense) :)

Never want to see one again, I've a few George Best fivers if anyone's interested :!:

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently they stick together and are difficult to separate.. not a problem if the ATM gives you more than you ask for.. but not so good if you dont check and hand over 2 in a transaction without realising it !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 4 weeks later...

Tawnyowl here,always out there looking to make a few pounds.

Now i usually only ever see coins,very rarely does a note cross my path.

But the other day unusually one of those plastic fivers came my way.On a car boot.

After recovering from the shock of someone giving me a plastic fiver or any fiver I thought I would celebrate by buying myself a breakfast from the van where a heavenly smell of Bacon was floating through the air.

On arriving at the van a chap stopped me,said hi old owl what are you doing just as the note was about to touch the vendors hand.

They could be worth a few pounds.

Well the note was withdrawn quicker than a credit card i once had back in the noughties.

And coins quickly replaced the note.

On studying the note and the numbers it was as I expected worth zilch,absolutely only worth five pounds.

But that does not mean you have not got one of these rare notes that are going for a few pounds.In fact quite a few pounds.

Before you hand them over, if you are lucky to have notes these days,check this article out.

You never know.

Collectors are paying hundreds for new £5 note - but which ones are worth the most?

Double check your new five pound notes - collectors are paying hundreds of pounds for the very first batch of banknotes that went into circulation.

The first batch can be identified by a serial code beginning in 'AA01' are the most highly prized.

Some collectors are willing to pay more than 40 times the monetary value of the note for the chance to claim that they own a polymer £5 note that is among the very first the Bank of England ever produced, Somerset Live reports.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/collectors-paying-hundreds-pounds-new-8903425

I am not sure whether I like them or not. They feel a bit "slimy".

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

have had 2 now and they remind me of children's play money!

Not too keen on them atm, do not feel like real money! lol

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

I have to admit, I do like the design and the extra security precautions.. just not the size and feel !

BCOBS

Some collectors are willing to pay more than 40 times the monetary value of the note...

just tried selling one of mine. sold a new £5 note for.......£4 (less the auction fee). damn that brexit :lol:

Ford, you can make me an offer on my George Best fiver :)

how about £3.50 :)

:!:

Seems as though this lady has found a printing error and currently bidding is at nearly £1,700 for a plastic £5.00 note ?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-sells-new-five-pound-9049512

And this one, bidding currently stands at £80,000 for a serial number "AK47 " !!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/new-5-note-selling-80000-9039587

BCOBS

have just get another, now had 4! no idea if it is worth more then £5, lol

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

have just get another, now had 4! no idea if it is worth more then £5, lol

have a look at the serial numbers. if its the first one, quids in...:)

got one with the AK serial number!

got one with the AK serial number!

I had one with AA.........., but apparently to be worth anything more than £5 it has to be one of the first say 1000 notes issued. People can try to ask for any amount on Ebay, but it does not mean it is actually worth what someone pays over £5.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 months later...
has anyone found a 20k one..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk

Sadly no :(

BCOBS

there is another advantage to the new notes, they are washable. I have been carefully cleaning the ones I get and have so far managed to recover 2 grammes of cocaine from them. However this new found wealth also glows in the dark from the UVdye put on by the people who paid the ransom money using the new notes. Money laundering has a new meaning.