• Tweets

• Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sefton council CTAX arrears - EQUITA refusing to negotiate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Can someone please help me,

My local council (Sefton) has passed my council tax arrears over to the bailiffs

there are a few years worth as I got myself in a pickle as I work on a zero hour contract,

totals around 4k

they are refusing to speak to me and negotiate until I make a payment

they want there fees £567 before negotiating, they just keep refusing to speak to me.

I phoned the council who said they should be negotiating with me

but there is nothing they can do and they wont recall it,

I just dont know what to do now.

Thanks

You should have received individual Notices of Enforcement in relation to each Liability Order. The notice will state that a payment arrangement can be set up within what is called a 'compliance' period. This is the strict period of time outlined in the notices. Did you contact Equita within this time or has a personal visit been made?

Hi

letters all dated 9/8/2016

(called as soon as I rceived them)

further letters received 15/08,

called them as soon as received,

called them again Friday 19th

and again today still

they refuse to set up arrangment until they receive either £567 for a monthly arrangement

or £128 for a weekly one,

no personal visit made

sounds like this is capita and their equita friends...?

you probably only got capita when you phoned the council?

you need to get passed them and contact the council official responsible for CTAX enforcement..not capita

tell use the history of your arrears

and why they have amassed over a number of years please.

it might also pay to ::

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

letters all dated 9/8/2016 (called as soon as I rceived them). further letters received 15/08, called them as soon as received,

called them again Friday 19th and again today still

they refuse to set up arrangment until they receive either £567 for a monthly arrangement or £128 for a weekly one,

no personal visit made

Up until 2014, if a debt had been passed to a bailiff, you would not have received a letter from the enforcement company and instead, a visit would be made for the purpose of taking goods from your home to settle the debt. This all changed is 2014 with the introduction of the Taking Control of Goods Regulations.

The position now, is that in order to avoid goods being taken, (and the debt increasing and a personal visit being made) a payment proposal can be set up during the 'compliance stage' (explained in an earlier post). It would seem that you have attempted to make a payment proposal and the response from Equita is that they are willing to accept such an agreement as long as you can pay £567 per month or £128 per week. Without sounding too harsh, the figures sound about right.

In the first instance, the regulations provide that the warrant is valid for 12 months.

Most importantly, all enforcement companies will be required to abide by the contract from their relevant local authority client (in this case, Sefton Council). In most cases, the contracts provide that their agents should accept payments arrangement over a period of up to 6 months (rarely more than this). Some are even harsher at just 3-4 month. What will ALWAYS the be case though is that payment arrangement should be set to see the debts paid off BEFORE the start of the new council tax year....and it would seem from the figures quoted that this is exactly what has happened in your case.

The total that you owe is approx £4,000 and paying £567 per month will see the debt paid off by next April. This is perfectly acceptable. However, in your case, it is an impossible figure to pay.

What figure did you propose?

Almost certainly you are going to have to provide an Income & Expenditure calculations. Have you prepared one of these?

Hi Sally,

Remember you do not have to engage with the bailiffs. Don't let them in to your property, they cannot force entry, whatever they may claim. They may well try to take control of a vehicle if you have one, so keep it parked well out of the way. The last thing you want is to go out and find your car clamped!

Whilst trying to negotiate a settlement with Equita may suit you, they will have added £75 for each liability order onto your debt, so if you have four LO's, they will have added £300. They will add a further £235 if they come out to visit, plus an amount of 7.5% for the sum over £1500 owed.

If you agree a repayment plan, the first £300 will go directly to the bailiffs. After that, any further payments are split pro rata, so neither the sum nor their fees are paid completely until the final payment.

There is the option for some people, and you'll possibly be told this is ridiculous by others on here, but it remains an option (see Leakie's recent post) of sitting things out until the debt is passed back to the council. If you chose this route, you might avoid the fees, but would be under a degree of stress, especially if you have a car - it is not for everyone. It would be important to let the council know you are willing to pay the debt, and you would have to put money aside so you had a decent lump sum to pay. We could go into more detail if this was a route you wanted to consider.

If agreeing a repayment, it is critical not to allow entry to your property and to keep anything outside of value out of the way, as mentioned above. National Debtline have a good Income and Expenditure form which you can print off. It is worth working on this in the interim period so you have it ready, and time to think carefully about the figures. Do not agree a figure greater than you can afford as this would almost certainly cause problems further down the line.

Are you working full time now, still on a zero hours contract with no guaranteed work, or in a different situation altogether?

Don't worry about them forcing entry or anything - they may threaten this, but they have no right to do so, though they can open and enter through an unlocked door, hence me saying keep them locked.

Hi, thanks for the replies,

I got a bit mixed up with my figures, the amount the bailiffs have is around 1500, the council have kept some back which I am paying at £50 per month, the current year is being paid at £25 per week.

I am still on a zero hour contract and before last week I had no work for 3 weeks, I have non dependents living at home so cannot claim benefit, I literally earned £400 last month, there is no way I can clear this debt and pay the council as well.

My gripe was they were not even willing to listen to my situation until I paid this amount, they are aggressive and rude on the phone, I am thinking of complaining to the council about the firm they have chosen as surely its better to get some payment of me instead of refusing to negotiate.

I have got myself in such a pickle because of this zero hour contract and I am more than 100% sure I will be evicted from my property within the next month. I owe £3k rent arrears which luckily my family are helping me out with, currently paying £500 per week so I can try and avoid eviction.

I literally dont know which way to turn

Hi Sally

Sorry to hear of your predicament,

Firstly as CD says you do not have to let them in to your property,

If I have read this correctly you have an agreement with the council?

If this is the case it may go in your favour.as you are showing that you are not a won't pay but a can not pay.

With regards to Equita, they are the most dishonest company I have had to deal with, ( My Opinion)

you will probably, not get any where with them, they do all they can to make you fail to add fees.

If you can record the conversation with them, it may help.

Have you sent in a I & E so that they know what your disposable income is.

If the council are aware of your situation then with Equita refusing to agree a plan, it could back fire on them.

I would offer them what ever you can afford, if they refuse then ask them to contact the council to see if they will accept the offer.

If Equita refuse to even discuss this with you, and you have recorded the conversation,

I would then head back to the council with the proof of what is happening

I would also speak to your local councillor as well.

At the end of the day The council wants you to pay, it may take longer,

the council can see you are trying to pay back,

If Equita refuse, then I would sit it out, and wait until it is passed back,

you may have another EA firm come after you but they may be more amenable.

At the end of the day you can not pay what you do not have.

One other thing you do not have to fear the EA,

they will do all they can to put the frighten you into paying even if you can not afford it.

They will imply they have more rights than they do.

loose the fear, and you will be ok.

leakie

Hi again Sally

Have you applied for council tax benefit and housing benefit,

If accepted they will not pay the arrears but it could help you out,

If you can get in contact with one of the debt charities like One Support,

they will help you to claim anything you are entitled too.

Leakie