M & S - will this be the next High Street store to disappear ?

citizenB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2790 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I used to shop quite regularly in M&S - their clothes were well made and you knew their sizing was pretty accurate and they would wash and wear well.

Over the years, they have put more foreign made items in their stores - their sizing is all over the place - you have to ensure that buttons are sewn on securely and in some instances hems have had to be stitched. Their seams are so mean that you daren't put on any weight once you have purchased - else they will split !

So M&S is not a place that I now have first on my list of places to go.

However, we were given an M&S voucher for Christmas and as I needed a new pair of slippers

and hubby wanted some new undies we decided to use the voucher. I chose the slippers on line and printed him off an image. Colour - purple. Size 6. My shoe size is 5.5 but it is pretty much impossible to get half sizes nowadays.

Hubby's weight hasn't changed (11.5 stone) and his waist measurement is still the same as it was when we first met (33").

My slippers didn't fit - far too small ! His undies would have fit someone twice his weight - despite the size on the pack saying 33-35 !

Today he took them back and received a telling off because he had opened the packaging for his undies - and no, he couldn't open a pack showing a smaller size to even look at the size! and they don't encourage the trying on of underwear - which is understood. Even the smaller size looks as though they might be too big - lets hope they shrink as he doesn't have the courage to go back again.

I have had to take a size 8 slipper for it to fit ?

So guess who wont be shopping in M&S again and will let it be known that we don't want M&S vouchers, please !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I used to shop quite regularly in M&S - their clothes were well made and you knew their sizing was pretty accurate and they would wash and wear well.

Over the years, they have put more foreign made items in their stores - their sizing is all over the place - you have to ensure that buttons are sewn on securely and in some instances hems have had to be stitched. Their seams are so mean that you daren't put on any weight once you have purchased - else they will split !

So M&S is not a place that I now have first on my list of places to go.

However, we were given an M&S voucher for Christmas and as I needed a new pair of slippers

and hubby wanted some new undies we decided to use the voucher. I chose the slippers on line and printed him off an image. Colour - purple. Size 6. My shoe size is 5.5 but it is pretty much impossible to get half sizes nowadays.

Hubby's weight hasn't changed (11.5 stone) and his waist measurement is still the same as it was when we first met (33").

My slippers didn't fit - far too small ! His undies would have fit someone twice his weight - despite the size on the pack saying 33-35 !

Today he took them back and received a telling off because he had opened the packaging for his undies - and no, he couldn't open a pack showing a smaller size to even look at the size! and they don't encourage the trying on of underwear - which is understood. Even the smaller size looks as though they might be too big - lets hope they shrink as he doesn't have the courage to go back again.

I have had to take a size 8 slipper for it to fit ?

So guess who wont be shopping in M&S again and will let it be known that we don't want M&S vouchers, please !

I rarely shop in M&S because i find their prices don't represent value for money compared to other places. For casual wear, i quite like Cotton Traders. For cheap winter warmth, some items in Primark are ok. Debenhams sell a decent range of quality clothing at various price points.

I don't think about the ethics of manufacture e.g using cheap labour or poor working conditions, because of the reports over recent years that many of the expensive brand names use some of the same factories in Bangladesh etc. There is no guarantee that a pair of jeans produced for say x brand or x shop is produced in better working conditions than for y shop or y brand. You have no idea when you buy anything. Even some British clothing is only finished off in Britain. Most of it is made in say India and then they do some finishing in Britain.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

we are about to have one of their unwanted stores opening near me, why I have no idea. They are very expensive, they will be opening on a retail park which has a Macdonalds, a Halfords, Matalan, next, poundstretcher etc on it, the shop it has taken used to be Wickes x

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

we are about to have one of their unwanted stores opening near me, why I have no idea. They are very expensive, they will be opening on a retail park which has a Macdonalds, a Halfords, Matalan, next, poundstretcher etc on it, the shop it has taken used to be Wickes x

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11513251/Marks-and-Spencer-has-no-place-in-the-modern-world-which-is-why-its-recovery-should-be-celebrated.html

Which suggests that the pattern of the store should be "limited range of clothing, M&S's "best lines", and Food".

Other M&S openings have been "simply food" branches where they concentrate just on food (+/- an on-site cafe)