style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2788 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had an incident today,

one I'm really not proud of at TK Maxx where

as a joke, I attempted to steal 3 items of make up.

I know it was awful and I'm feeling ridiculously guilty, anxious and downright ashamed over it.

I left the store and outside a member of security approached me

I admitted it, I was taken downstairs and was told I would be banned for 12 months and fined and that a company called RLP, would contact me for me to pay that fine.

I apologised and the two staff who were there just told me I messed up once and not to do it again

. I was asked for ID,

all I had was my card

then they took my phone number,

picture through CCTV, address, and date of birth

( I'm under 18 but I told them I was older

- a rash decision because I didn't want my parents to be contacted)

and then I was sent on my way politely.

Don't get me wrong,

I made several mistakes today and I was more than ready to pay a fine

but wasn't expecting the results when I researched RPL, to be so high.

The items were valued under £20, and not damaged in any way,

the whole process was about 10 minutes

whilst accepting the ban, I did not expect a hefty fine of hundreds.

I'm really concerned about this because my age is unknown to them

and I'm moving in about a month to another country

and I really don't want this hanging over my head in my future.

I made a mistake which I regret a lot but if I don't pay this fine,

I don't know if that will get me a criminal record?

I really would love it if someone could clarify things for me about RPL

and what to do when the letters come?

I don't think shop lifting is something you should treat as a joke.....

Anyhow

Its not a FINE

Nowhere did anyone use that word

Neither legally can they.

The bottom line is totally ignore everything RLP do say or write

It can't harm you at all

There is no criminal record

Nothing at all

Behave and go and enjoy your life

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

Were you with friends? If so I hope a lesson well learnt and that you are now having nothing more to do with them, by them not being with you proves how much honour they have towards you.

If on your own, then please talk things through with a professional counsellor.

On to RLP, you will receive approx. 5 letters from them, these letters unlike a DCA's will have your name inserted into the paragraphs to give it a more personal touch, however as DX has said you can safely ignore all of these, after the 5th letter there will be a slight gap and you will receive a couple from a DCA, once again ignore.

As this incident has been dealt with, you will have no criminal record and nothing will show on any searches that a future employer does despite what RLP lead you to believe in the letters you will receive.

If you do have any concerns then please update this thread but you are safe to ignore, please search RLP on the CAG site for past cases so you know what to expect, do not ring RLP, just ignore, treat this as a lesson learnt, forget and move on.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Hi and welcome to CAG.

What is done is done so no need to go over that again.

This 'FINE' is nothing of the sort. The security guard either doesn't know the law or he lied!

As you have lied about your age, RLP will write to you. If they find out that you are under 18, they may contact your parents. Just thought you should be aware. On occasion I have seen where the envelope the letter comes in 'might' have RLP on it. this will be visible to anyone who gets the letter first. I'm not saying that is what WILL happen, just what MIGHT.

You will get a letter within the first 2-3 weeks with the initial demand and it will look scary but RLP can do nothing to you-ever. The only people that could take action are TKMaxx and they don't bother.

Now, in your situation I would be telling your parents unless you live in a violent household. The reasoning behind this is so that they can look on CAG and find out the truth about RLP. Yes, they will be angry with you but at least you can then share the rubbish that will come from RLP.

We on CAG will never condone shoplifting but we also believe two wrongs don't make a right. What RLP are doing is wrong and it is our belief that these cases should be dealt with by the correct body, the police.

Come back any time you like for more advice or even a metaphorical kick up the backside. :roll:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

TKMaxx have done the only action they intend to take,

they got their goods back and hopefully scared you enough to think about the consequences of your actions and not to repeat it.

The police will not be involved now or at any point in the future,

this is what is known as summary justice- ie dealt with on the spot.

RLP are a private company that tell shops that they can reduce crime by demanding money from people caught shoplifting.

This is supposed to act as a deterrent but the reality is that they arent involved in security matters or crime prevention,

they just demand money after the event that doesnt even go back to the shop

yet they claim it is to cover security costs etc. Rubbish, it just goes to them.

As they have nothing to do with anything you are advised to ignore their letters,

which will get more desperate as time goes by because they have no right to claim a penny.

Be assured that if the store hadnt recovered the items undamaged

you would have seen the inside of a police station and RLP have no say in that either.

I'll try and post photos of the letters when they come.

I'm moving soon so I don't know if they will somehow find me at my new address

but I read some of the previous threads and am just going to ignore the letters completely.

I get worried quite fast and wanted to know if I should actually bother to read them or not,

or if I should just burn them as they come?

I can't really tell my parents and that's why I thought it'd be better to just pay it and try and forget

but reading the other posts tell me it's truly not a good idea.

I did want to know when the letters stop?

And who the Jackie is that everyone talks about?

Jackie is the queen bee of RLP.

you can if you want scan the letter to PDF

and pop them up

but you'll see them all here already

why not go read them on other peoples threads

then you'll know what to expect

and it wont get you worried

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Once you move, RLP don't have the facility to trace you. As you haven't given express permission, RLP cannot check credit reference agencies nor can any debt collector who will pop up at a later date. They may be able to check to electoral register at some time but they have to be certain that the name they pick from the register is you. They are not allowed to send letters to everyone with the same name as you.

As you can't confide with your parents, all you can do is get the letters first (if possible). Read them thoroughly and understand that what they are claiming is not 100% accurate.

They may make threats of court action. Ignore that, they can't

When they pass the case on to a debt collector, they have as much power over you that I have.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

I got the first letter today and it was a lot of legal talk

but nowhere in it did they say that they would do anything

just that their client could or was entitled to take it to court.

The amount was £150 which shocked me because the items were under £20 and weren't damaged whatsoever.

They also said that they would put my case on hold for 21 days in which I had the option to call them and negotiate if I couldn't pay, seek legal counsel and a few other options.

I'm moving very soon and won't be in the UK,

the address where they are sending the letters to will soon be occupied by the next tenants

and whilst I doubt they'll track me abroad or anything,

it's slightly worrying that the letters will continue.

On the letter I received today, it said that their client had the right to act for 15 years,

which, even though I told myself to ignore everything they write, is panic inducing.

I don't really know what to do with the letter.

Am I supposed to seek legal counsel?

its a load of ole twaddle

if you read it carefully it a letter that outlines what 'could' have happened and what actions could be taken..

but the bottom line is its nowt to do with them taking those decisions, it down to the retailer.

if anyone pays these fleecers

the retailer never sees any of the money

and it purely goes to lining their pockets and funding them harassing and trying to spoof other people

with the same drivel

scan it up as a pdf please

we'd like a laugh...

dx

and they

Am I supposed to seek legal counsel?

Ignore, Ignore, Ignore & Ignore!

Everything in the letter is total BS.

If T K Maxx wanted to take legal action then they would have handed you over to the Police straight away, they did not so in TK Maxx's view the matter is closed.

When you do leave this Country, if your parents get international redirection, because your over 16 they need your signature to include yo on the redirection list, if you do sign then all RLP mail will be forwarded to your new address overseas.

As DX says please remove personal identifiers and scan up, be great to see Jackie's latest work.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

On the letter I received today, it said that their client had the right to act for 15 years,

remove your name and address and any reference numbers and post it up. That line if true is very very concerning.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

15 years??? Where did they get that load of guff from!

They could demand 15,000 but the fact is they can't force you to. There is no loss therefore nothing to claim.

Ignore and don't even think about the new people in your home reading the letters. They don't know you. If they have any sense, they will write "Not at this address" on the letters and post them back.

Yes, please post it up. a person may take legal action up to 6 years after the date of the cause for ation. Never longer for anything, shorter for certain things

MAY do. But RLP and tk maxx wont.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 3 weeks later...

I received another letter today saying that they haven't received a response

and that their client has a right to bring a civil claim against me.

They also put a lot of information about 'circumstances' that their client invites me to advise them about which I would like to be taken into account.

And then just said to pay it and that they require a response within 14 days in order to prevent further action being taken.

I have redacted the personal information from both letters but can't upload them from my phone?

Does anyone know how I can do that?

I move next week so I won't get any more letters and I'm hoping the next tenant either throws the letters in the bin or responds that I'm not living there anymore.

I still feel extremely awful about it and have considered just paying it off because it is my fault but at the same time, everything I read about RLP tells me definitely not to.

I'm hoping to put it behind me and the letters, whilst worrying, I do realise have no actual bearing and can't do anything.

yes if you scan around the forum and RLP posts

you'll loads got that exact same letter

its just a very clever play on including a box of certain words that courts use

to make it look like they are 'official'

its not its Jackie and RLP trying to spoof you.

be rest assured that TKMAXX know nothing about these letters RLP are sending

and wont ever get a penny if you did supposedly pay them to pay TKMAXX.

don't line jackies pockets!!

ignore!!

and they

RLP have various template letters they send out on a regular basis but all they can do is threaten. They can do no more than that-ever! they may pass this on to a debt collector who can do even less. It may even go quiet for a while before they try again.

RLP are wannabe lawyers and try to convince you that they have more than half a brain cell to work with. don't fall for it. They know they can do nothing to you. They just want you to believe they can.

RLP would be very silly if they did do court after their spanking in Oxford.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Please start a new thread

Of your own

Dx

and they