Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Site Team The Consumer Action Group Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Sep 2007

Default Re: Lowells/? Claimforn - old Capital One

Worth a go to request without....although in reality a hearing shouldn't be required as neither yourself or the claimant can add anything to a court error...still its an extra 125 extra in their coffers.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder jack21 Novitiate

Cagger since : Mar 2011

Hi Andy

I have received a date for the hearing, the 21st June. I guess I just take all the evidence already sent and explain that I wasn't given a court hearing date?

Cheers

Site Team The Consumer Action Group Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch's Avatar

The hearing really shouldn't become a mini trial..its a hearing to determine a set a side.....on a judgment that we think was placed in error because of the courts inefficiency...you simply want it to be set a side and placed back to Notice of Allocation Stage and be allowed to present your witness statement and disclosures.

Andy

Follows
    Following

I think it will be prudent if I have the outline of my defence prepared.

That they did not comply with the court order to send a copies of the default notice, the credit agreement and notice of assignment by the specified date. And that they have still not sent a copy of the the default notice, therefore there is no proof that a default notice had been sent.

Yes by means have it ready but it shouldn't be required......the hearing is to decide set a side due to court failings.....not the possible defence that will be presented should it proceed.

Follows
    Following

Hi Andy

Had the hearing today and was successful in getting the judgement set aside with a new hearing date to be set.

The judge was satisfied pretty much immediately, after about 2 minutes, that I wasn't aware of a hearing date but then he wanted to be sure I had grounds for a successful defence before setting aside.

my defence was based on the fact they had not supplied a compliant Notice of Default.
    There was a lot of toing and froing between their solicitor, myself and the judge on the issue for about 25 minutes but he eventually ruled in my favour.

Thanks for all your help on this, it still isn't over, but I am now so relieved

Well done Jack...just post to your thread when you are in receipt of the court order and further directions.I assume we will move straight to witness statements and disclosure.

Follows
    Following

Hi

I have now got a new hearing date for the above claim. The 25th August. I will need to submit witness statement and any other documents needed by the 11th August.

I will come up with a draft statement and put it up on here over the next few days. Would you be able to check over it for me?

Thanks

Follows
    Following

Hi Andy

Please can you have a quick look at this witness statement.

The main points are :-
    1. The credit agreement is deficient of the prescribed terms and is therefore incorrectly executed, pursuant of 61(1)a of the CCA.
    2. An improperly executed agreement can only be enforced by way of order of the court, pursuant of 65(1) of the CCA.
    3. The court is unable to make an enforcement order on a credit agreement deficient of the prescribed terms, pursuant of 127(3) of the CCA.

I have also included the fact they have failed to provide a valid copy of the default notice, however I don't know if that is necessary given the above points?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Attached Files

Good attempt Jack...you have all the main points covered.....I would also include the following before your first paragraph....

1. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding that they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.

Follows
    Following

Thanks Andy

Based on the points made, can you see me not succeeding with the defence? I can't see how the judge can find in favour of the claimant as the defence is based on points of law and not open to interpretation by the judge.

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

its a witness statement not a defence..

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

it's a witness statement in support of the defence of the claim, is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by jack21 View Post
    Thanks Andy

Based on the points made, can you see me not succeeding with the defence? I can't see how the judge can find in favour of the claimant as the defence is based on points of law and not open to interpretation by the judge.
    Any judgment should be based on points of law not interpretation...but that will be down to quality of the District Judge presiding.I really cant make any forecasts Jack as to how it will swing...all you can do is present the facts of the case and errors of the claimant pursuant to the CCA1974..whether or not he wishes to comply with the law is the judges decision.

Follows
    Following

Yes, as I understand it, in the points made in the witness statement for my defence the judge should not rule against it as they are based on points of law rather than being based on loose evidence supplied by the Claimant.

However,
    seeing the quality of the judges that preside over such hearings, and how much opinion may be factor in their decision making, it may well go against me.

This would then leave the Judge open to an appeal on the judgement, as the defence was made on points of law and not matters open to interpretation.

I am quite sure that no judge would willingly make them selves open to an appeal on a judgement, no matter what opinion they have of the case.

If things turn out badly, it goes to an appeal.

chances of success should be better than good, but it depends on the judge.

Which I think is crazy, to be honest.

Hi

Just letting you know

I got a letter from Lowells, they are discontinuing the claim. Got a copy of the discontinuance form as well.

Thanks for all your help. I''ll be making a donationicon shortly.

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

hey you won!!

well done CAGicon

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Hey good news Jack and a very well done...persistence paid off in the end.

Thread title amended to reflect the outcome

Delighted for you.

Andy

Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details