workshop fire destroys car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2809 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys

newby here so please bare with me and I hope this is the right forum for my questions,

last year my 17 year old daughter purchased a 1988 ford fiesta as a project

( needing work ) for when she passes her driving test,

I was tasked to do the work on the car as i work at a garage involved in vehicle repairs and recovery,

I asked my employers permission to bring the car into work and use one of the car ramps for the repairs needed

and was granted the permission to do so in my spare time,

a few weeks after the work had started in October 2016 the garage was broken into

and a fire started which caused some significant damage to the car,

blistering paintwork melting window seals carpets roof lining dashboard ect

rendering the car beyond economical repair,

at this time the garage was deemed unsafe and closed down for over six months

before the companies insurance started the work on repairs and emptying the garage,

about 5 weeks ago the fiesta was removed from the garage by means of a winch dragging it out

causing more damage to the underside as the rear wheels hubs and fuel tank had been removed for repair purposes

and then being left outside for 2 days before the insurance company sent another recovery company to remove the car,

im actually a little upset at this as at no time as the insurance company spoken to me about the car

to ask for value details or to inform me or my daughter of their intentions with the car,

now in the past couple of weeks ive asked my employer 3 times for the insurance company details

as I wish to contact them regarding the car but the answer from him is he will ring them to see

and they are out of the office, this seems to me to be a stalling tactic,

my problem is not knowing who is liable for the car now,

the garage that employs me or their insurance ?

as the car wasn't on the road my daughter didn't take out a policy of her own

and now she as no car ( as we don't know were its gone ) and no pay out for her loss,

can anyone shed some light on whether or not I have a right to make a claim against either the garage

or the garages insurance for the loss of the car.

many thanks

mark

if you can get it in writing that the owner allowed you to use the premise

then he and his ins co. are liable.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if you can get it in writing that the owner allowed you to use the premise

then he and his ins co. are liable.

dx

This won't necessarily be correct as customer cars would most likely be covered along with business stock but nothing else.

I have a rule of thumb that any car in my possession I insure for fire and theft when they are on SORN which I suggest yours might be???

However you won't be a customer as staff.

Whilst not condoning it, if you are insured as above think carefully about the claim form especially as you are mentioning welding in order to fix the car.

They will most probably jump to the wrong conclusion.

I think on balance from what I have read you won't be covered and need to handle very carefully as garage owners still live in the age of dinosaurs and won't take lightly to an employee suing them especially when they are helping you out by giving you use of premises and equipment.