• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DLC trying to enforce a 10yrs old CCJ for black horse loan

Markie1973
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everybody

I hope you can help me, today I received a letter from DLC regarding a very old debt from Black Horse Ltd (original loan was taken out through Chartered Trust way back in 2000/2001) with the amount owing of £1,886.59.

The letter is as follows:

Dear XXXX

Your account

County Court Claim Number XXXXXXXX

We have been trying to work with you in resolution to the above claim for which we have obtained a County Court Judgement.

As there is still a balance outstanding, your account has been placed with Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited to act as the agent servicing your account.

Their next step is to pass your account to Mortimer Clarke Solicitors.

What will the Solicitors do?

Mortimer Clarke Solicitors will write to you and explain that they have been instructed to continue court proceedings against you if you do not contact them. They will explain the need for legal action to progress.

We hope that you will enter into a payment arrangement that you can afford in order to prevent the need for legal action to progress.

You can call Mortimer Clarke Solicitors on 0333 XXX XXXX

Your new reference number is XXXXXXXX

Now I have not had any paper work from the County Court, the letter I received from DLC is stated as being generated on 11/07, also I thought that a solicitor would have to issue the paperwork to the court for a Claim to be issued even though according to the letter my account is to be passed to Mortimer Clarke?

The interesting part of this letter is that they hope that I will enter into a repayment agreement, could this be a trick that DLC/Cabot could be trying to pull?.

I have requested a copy of the claim form from DLC as I have not received this and I have also asked for a copy of the original credit agreement and a statement of account confirming when the last payment was made, I have not had any communication from DLC for ages until today.

I have checked my credit file and there is no CCJ registered and I am thinking about contacting the County Court Bulk Center to confirm the Claim Number.

I hope somebody can help and advise me as I am very concerned.

Many Thanks

I have just telephoned the court and the Judgement was from back in 2006, the court explained that as this is ten years old it has been removed from the Registry Trust as it is so sold.

The court also advised that if any enforcement action was to be taken then they (DLC) would have to apply to the court/judge for permission to enforce a CCJ that is 10 years old and was not originally enforced.

What are the chances of this or could DLC/Mortimer be chancing their luck with an old CCJ?

You can also check the claim number (ccj) at http://www.trustonline.co.uk

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

The lady who I spoke to at the court was helpful and explained that due to the age of the original CCJ the court now holds very little information and it is the same with trust on-line as well.

If as you say, the CCJ is over 6 years old and has not been enforced then please see Limitations Act 1980 S24

They would have to go to court to enforce it after the expiration of 6 years but unlike defaults they do not expire

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

The court has already advised..after 10 years there is very little chance of it being resurrected...ignore them...but retain the letter.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Cheeky beggars

Nice little earner for their holiday fund

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

CCJ's are never statute barred

Moved to the black horse forum

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

a quick update,

I have received the letter from Mortimer Clarke Solicitors asking me to complete an Income & Expenditure form and return it within 14 days or to pay the full amount within 14 days,

now what I find interesting is this

'You should also note that our client may be willing to accept a reduced amount for a lump sum payment to settle the debt, Please contact us to discuss if you wish to take advantage of this.'

Sounds like they are offering a discount on a debt that is 15/16 years old with a CCJ that was taken out 10 years ago.

Hope somebody on the forum can advise?, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, many thanks for everybody's help regarding this issue.

However I have received another letter today from Mortimer Clarke:

'Dear Sir/Madam

Further to our recent letter, we note that you have not contacted us to discuss your proposals to pay the outstanding balance due under a County Court Judgement.

It is important that you contact us to discuss your account.

Our client requires this debt to be addressed and we enclose an income and expenditure form for you to complete and return, together with an offer of repayment within 14 days.

If we do not hear from you, we will take our clients instructions regarding recovery of the outstanding balance.'

I am concerned about this letter as it looks like they maybe trying their luck and will end up approaching the courts to enforce this decade old CCJ.

Post #7...until you receive anything direct from the court

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

• 10 months later...

I hope somebody on the forum can help/advise me please?.

Back in 2000/2001 I took out a loan with Chartered Trust/Black Horse Finance and after a while I fell behind with the payments and the debt was sold to DLC who took out a CCJ against me back in 2006 - no payments have been made to this debt for years and is well and truly Statute Barred also there was no enforcement action ever taken as a result of the CCJ.

All went quiet with this debt for years until I received a letter from Cabot a couple of months ago which included a letter from Mortimer Clarke stating that they was going to take further action regarding the debt.

I contacted the County Court and was told that as the CCJ was over 10 years old it is very unlikely that the debt could be enforced.

Anyway again all went quiet until today when I received a letter from Mortimer Clarke which reads as follows:

' We have been instructed to apply for a Charging Order against you should you fail to make a satisfactory payment proposal within 7 days of the date of this letter (the date on the letter is the 27th June)'

'If an acceptable payment offer is not made, an application for a charging order will be made in order to secure the judgement debt against your property and if awarded, may affect your ability to remortgage or sell your property without first satisfying the debt in full. County Court fees and solicitor's costs will also be applied to your debt.'

'If you contact us after the Charging Order application has been made, in order to make an offer of repayment, we may accept that offer if it is affordable and sustainable. However, please note that this will not stop proceedings from continuing and a Final Charging Order being requested.'

'You should note that our client may be willing to accept a reduced amount from you, if you were able to make a lump sum payment now in full and final settlement of the debt. It would be in your interest to take advantage of this offer, and settle the debt now, in order to prevent your debt increasing, and a charge being registered on your property.'

'Please contact us as a matter of urgency on 0333 121 4454 to propose payments and thereby avoid, should your offer be acceptable, the above charging order application being made'.

Can anybody help or advise me please?, I don't own my property as I live with my mother, does anybody know on the forum if Mortimer Clarke can make a charging order on a property which I don't own and what is the likely hood of the County Court allowing enforcement action after nearly 12 years since the CCJ was obtained?.

Also is it advisable to contact Mortimer Clarke or is best that I don't contact them or this just their way of trying scare tactics into paying a debt that is well and truly statute barred?, also the fact that there could be a potential discount seems suspect as well.

Many Thanks in advance.

old and new threads merged for history

please keep to one thread

or it makes a mockery of the advise already given

dx

and they

as post 7

its willy waving

you've no property safe to ignore

and anyway

the CCJ is past enforcement as Andy said.

wonder if theres worth in a complaint here to say the FCA under conc or whatever?

p'haps Andy might comment

dx

and they

Here is the copy of the letter I received from Mortimer Clarke today minus any personal information:

As this debt was subject to a CCJ all those years ago and never enforced could Mortimer's try their luck on obtaining another CCJ for the same debt?

LetterMCS.pdf

No.....It can only be litigated on once.

Did you send them the SB letter?

If not do so.

If you did, then complain to the FCA.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!