style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2844 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm feelin very stress ATM, please don't judge, I know it's all my fault and I am trying to sort it out.

We've just been issued an aoe on my husbands earnings for council tax.

I rang up last month when we received the summons and made an arrangement. £158 pm plus £50 (previous yrs). The council also sent has also sent me a income and expenditure form. Which I have filled in and sent back.

I am Currently on maternity leave and just had my last pay packet. I don't want to return to my job as a) the hours are not suitable with 2 children under 5 b) I hate it there my boss is a bitch, hasn't given me the pay rise I should have had, makes my life hell etc. So I've done my 9 months maternity and I'm entitled to 3 more Months.

I want to go back to work but I haven't found a new job yet, had a promise of a job from a friend who let me down 3 weeks ago and now I have to start from scratch with the job search. Anyway I deal with the finances now as my husband tends to open letters and either bins them or puts them in a file to deal with later (later never comes). So 2 months ago I started sorting out finances.

Well I have missed the first payment due of the new arrangement due on the 1st July as I'm panicking now the we have to stretch my husbands wages. Well this has arrived today and now I feel

Sick.

Working out our bills and what I've agreed with companies ie water, electric, phone etc. The bills come to £1952. After tax my husband earns £1980 a month. We get child benefit and ATM I get £2.06 tax credits. So after bills we will only have about £160'to buy food, petrol and live on for the month that's for 2 adults and 1 (4 yr old) and 1 (9 month old).

Now instead of just over £200 a month coming out for CT it looks like it will be almost £350. Therefore we'll have about £10 A month to buy food, etc.

I know it's my fault but I am trying to sort things out as well as look after my two young children. Is there anything I can do about the attachment of earnings or is that it? I can't afford to pay in full £1438. I'm worried we are now going to lose our home unless I can get a job as soon as possible. Any advise?

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Nobody is here to judge, we are here to try to help you. There are some hard truths for you to face, but there are things you can do. I hope the following is some help to you

To add to the above:

A brief guide:

https://www.thanet.gov.uk/your-services/council-tax/arrears-and-debt-recovery/attachment-of-earnings-and-benefits/

A detailed guide (probably not worth looking at for you to be honest):

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/Documents/benefits-council-tax/council-tax/attachement-of-earnings.pdf

Unfortunately, the rates of deduction are not negotiable, so you can't do anything about that. However, you state you have missed the first payment - I'd contact the council about that as soon as possible, and also approach your local councillor and your MP to see if they can help.

While the AOE may not be something you can change, you may need to review other outgoings in light of the AOE. Some outgoings are classed as priority ones (mortgage / rent, food, gas, electricity, secured loans, court fines and TV Licence ).

Others are not priority, so can be placed on hold, or paid at a far lower rate until your CT is cleared. Non-priority includes water, phone, credit cards, HP agreements and unsecured loans, as well as loans from family members or friends. This is off the top of my head, so may not be 100% complete, but is pretty accurate I think.

You should try to see CAB, or contact a free debt management company to help you work through your finances so you can live. National Debtline is another good free service.

Others may be able to add to the above to give further help.

Hi, I'm feelin very stress ATM, please don't judge, I know it's all my fault and I am trying to sort it out.

We've just been issued an aoe on my husbands earnings for council tax.

Working out our bills and what I've agreed with companies ie water, electric, phone etc. The bills come to £1952. After tax my husband earns £1980 a month. We get child benefit and ATM I get £2.06 tax credits. So after bills we will only have about £160'to buy food, petrol and live on for the month that's for 2 adults and 1 (4 yr old) and 1 (9 month old).

Now instead of just over £200 a month coming out for CT it looks like it will be almost £350. Therefore we'll have about £10 A month to buy food, etc.

I know it's my fault but I am trying to sort things out as well as look after my two young children. Is there anything I can do about the attachment of earnings or is that it? I can't afford to pay in full £1438. I'm worried we are now going to lose our home unless I can get a job as soon as possible. Any advise?

I have just checked and it would seem that the monthly Attachment of Earnings figure should be £336 per month.

It is vitally important that you speak with the council this morning to explain that this huge figure will mean that you cannot pay the essential household bills and provide food for the family. The local authority have discretion to recall the AOE's in certain cases. I would suggest that yours in one such case.

You have your work cut out today but you must ensure that you make the call to the council. Offer to send them the Income & Expenditure.

Please post back once you have spoken with them.