Previous Employer Requesting Training Costs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2845 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

New member here, i am hoping i get some advice here.

My Wife had started a job at a medical spa which does botox , skin facials. She worked there in May 2016, my wife started work but they were paying her such a low wage , she was reluctant to take the position, but she took it. The woman in charge had no idea how to run a medical spa at all and started to use the 12plus years knowledge my wife has .

Before my wife had started work the woman had said to my wife that if my wife leaves within two years she would have to pay back any training costs. My wife started work but never signed any contract stating that she would have pay anything back , even the offer letter had no reference to this. My wife went on two half days of training for laser training but never got a certificate of any sort.

This woman boss would contradict any ideas my wife brought up, my wife after a month wanted to discuss her wage as it was just not satisfactory of the work and experience she has. So my wife called a meeting with the woman boss and presented this to her, the woman boss did not even entertain the prospect of raising her salary at all.

So my wife decided to leave before all her ideas were going to be used, the woman boss has now sent a letter asking my wife to pay back training costs for the two days, but nothing was signed and not even a job description was given to my wife. I think personally this woman is bitter that my wife had the guts to leave and she is now asking for money to feed her own ego.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Unless the boss woman issues your wife with a claim from the court, then its pretty safe to either ignore completely or send ONE letter briefly stating she does not recognise any debt owed as no agreement was ever made and any future correspondence will not be entered into, should a claimform arrive, it would be vigorously defended and boss woman put to strict proof a debt is owed.

Personally i would ignore and wait for a Letter Before Action/Claim before sending anything.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

I would just ignore this fit of pique. Chances are the more you try and accommodate any claim by even acknowledging her letters the more she will try and get one over on your wife. If she gets a proper lba from the ex-employer or her solicitor then respond saying no contractual obligation but other than that let it be and the lady will run out of steam. Probably wont get much right in the way of employemtn law anyway

It is my understanding that unless this has been properly agreed in writing with the employee before the start of the training then they wont normally be recoverable!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I still feel it is best that you, at least, respond to this first letter and point out the futility of her actions.

She might just go straight to the Courts and say based on your previous behaviour she reasonably believed that you will not respond to a Letter before Action.

You then have the headache of defending your action.

Though you might still win but why have the hassle, eliminate the risk now and save yourself a whole lot of trouble in the future.

Just send her a letter now.