Caught shoplifting in Boots, police not called - HELP!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It also made me wonder why, if they'd known I was stealing for months and knew I was a regular in the store and recognised me each time I was in there, why did they never just apprehend me once I was in there? If they had so much evidence of me taking previous items then I don't understand why they still had to wait to actually catch me in the act, if indeed that CCTV evidence was sufficient to prove my guilt. Essentially they knew I was stealing but allowed me to continue doing so until they could actually catch me with something.

That is making me wonder if the police don't rely on store CCTV alone so they knew that previous footage wouldn't mean much at all and that they still had physically catch me.

The LP guy said, during our conversation outside, that he doesn't know whether RLP will 'fine' me (his words!) for all of the incidents they know about or just this one. I'll wait and see what their letters say anyway!

I completely missed the bit about talking outside the store That should have been the clue I should have spotted. ..

We all miss things in plain sight. It is one of those things, this is why I re-read a thread several times to take it all in.

Since the LPO had the chance to escalate this several times, even with the PCSO's walking past, this can also help the OP in as much as this was prima facia evidence something untoward is/was going on. If the OP can remember the date and time then this will help 'IF' the LPO tries to take anymore advantage of this poster... It's all in the detail....

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

The actions of this LPO shows something is amiss, TBH I would find a new shop and be much more honest, it pays to be good.

No matter how many letters arrive just ignore them, even when RLP sent the alleged debt to a debt collector IGNORE them all...

Deep breath time now and I bet you are glad you found CAG ?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

We all miss things in plain sight. It is one of those things, this is why I re-read a thread several times to take it all in.

Since the LPO had the chance to escalate this several times, even with the PCSO's walking past, this can also help the OP in as much as this was prima facia evidence something untoward is/was going on. If the OP can remember the date and time then this will help 'IF' the LPO tries to take anymore advantage of this poster... It's all in the detail....

I remember the exact time and date of when we were outside talking, as I had to check the time for my next train. The discussion we were having would have been made full view of the cameras outside the store and it went on for easily 15 minutes, possibly longer. There will be footage of me making a call on my phone to ask my gran to lend me some money, and footage of the LP guy making a call on his phone at the same time. Looking back, it seemed a very strange thing to take place immediately after catching someone shoplifting, and I'm sure questions would be asked about why he was talking to me for so long. He also made comments about how he used to be in debt but not anymore as he's in a very good job now and he makes plenty of money. It all seems so out of place, now I think back on it. And do these guys actually earn that much anyway? I'm wondering if he actually exploits a fair few people and has got himself a nice little earner on the side there!

The actions of this LPO shows something is amiss, TBH I would find a new shop and be much more honest, it pays to be good.

No matter how many letters arrive just ignore them, even when RLP sent the alleged debt to a debt collector IGNORE them all...

Deep breath time now and I bet you are glad you found CAG ?

I really am, everyone has spoken so much sense and not judged me at all. I never expected that, it's been brilliant to find a place with people who evidently have a lot of good advice to give.

I'll be recommending it to anyone who's got any sort of legal issue, or any issue really, in the future! Other forums tend to have the odd one who'll make judgmental comments but not had that on here at all.

I didn't find anything at all online about people who've been taken in by the police after initially being released so whilst it'll be a niggle with me for a while

(and that's part of my punishment for doing this in the first place, I guess!),

I'll just keep as calm as I can and try to speak common sense to myself.

If it's never been done before (as far as I've been able to find out) then it's unlikely to happen with me. It's just hard not to think of myself as Most Wanted right now!

Although you have done what you have done, you have been caught, been released, then chatted to in an inappropriate manner, you have a moral duty to inform the branch manager that this conversation has taken place.

You can inform them that you felt that a financial arrangement could have been made without the knowledge of RLP. Has the LPO done this in the past and got away with it? We can only guess. The nice thing about this is you can do this anonymously via a letter to the branch manager. It costs nothing to do this but could catch a rogue LPO that takes financial advantage for their own needs.

How were you going to pay his 'fine' you haven't mentioned this yet?

This is up to you but think about that poor old lady or a vulnerable adult that may have fallen for this behaviour if indeed it has happened

BUT

Always a but, is it worth it? its your choice alone what you do. As far as earning mega bucks that's a no unless they work at Harrods...

Please don't take the next sentence to heart but the word I will use in NOT derogatory but meant for advice purposes only ok?!!

'Only a fool will not take great advice', then they have themselves to blame for not taking it, advice is free and should be considered on all levels.

A criminal record will see someone not being able to work with vulnerable people, this includes work as a carer and so on, it can also stop you from visiting some countries,

• Haha 1

I think by the third party calling Boots may have alerted them to something going on and they may investigate but as with most security staff, they are subcontracted to Boots so any allegations would be passed on to them.

Boots can instigate civil action (I doubt they will) however, they can only claim a provable loss. Any evidence missing from the CCTV will be discounted.

I suspect Boots will just bury this. This could be a PR nightmare for them and the security company.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Although you have done what you have done, you have been caught, been released, then chatted to in an inappropriate manner, you have a moral duty to inform the branch manager that this conversation has taken place.

You can inform them that you felt that a financial arrangement could have been made without the knowledge of RLP. Has the LPO done this in the past and got away with it? We can only guess. The nice thing about this is you can do this anonymously via a letter to the branch manager. It costs nothing to do this but could catch a rogue LPO that takes financial advantage for their own needs.

How were you going to pay his 'fine' you haven't mentioned this yet?

This is up to you but think about that poor old lady or a vulnerable adult that may have fallen for this behaviour if indeed it has happened

BUT

Always a but, is it worth it? its your choice alone what you do. As far as earning mega bucks that's a no unless they work at Harrods...

You're right and this is something I will do.

I will detail the time of the discussion outside also so they can see how long it went on for since there was logically no reason for that discussion ever to have taken place.

I suspect that RLP would still have written to me anyway even if I had paid this amount to the LP guy.

I'm assuming it's his job to catch thieves but then ultimately up to Boots to pass the information on to either RLP and / or the police, however they're choosing to deal with it.

I don't think this guy was looking to do me any favours by keeping RLP out of it (I'm not even sure he could do that anyway).

The impression he very much gave me at the time was that 'he had the power' to decide the outcome of this but having had time to think about that,

I can't imagine that right.

Surely it's up to the store itself on the subsequent course of action?

The LP guy obviously lives in the area and knows people.

If these cases were all decided solely by the security people rather than the store itself then technically he could let off friends and family if they were seen stealing in the store, and there could be a conflict of interest issue there.

And I have taken no offence to any advice given, I will absolutely be taking all of the very good advice I've had from the guys here. I can guarantee I'll never need advice on here (about shoplifting anyway) ever again!

I agree with that SF, but, if something untoward is happening then I would do the right thing and have done so in the past. Different situation in my case but the result was the same an investigation that was proved staff member dismissed.

I don't think there is much more to add to this thread unless the OP gets more agro from the LPO then they can update their thread?

Good luck to the OP if you need further advice then please pop back in and update your thread... Have a great weekend

I definitely will be informing them of everything that happened. I'm sure they'll take an interest in why such a lengthy conversation was needed after the event, for a start. This could help to back up the subsequent phone call, which I unfortunately have no proof of other than the record of a call from a withheld number yesterday.

Anyhow, I'll give them the information and how they choose to deal with it is up to them as I doubt I'll ever find out. The guy at HO did confirm the security staff are sub-contractors also.

I'll update the thread if I get any further hassle or if I need advice about the letters from RLP.

Just wanted to take the opportunity again to thank everyone for their help, advice and support. It is very much appreciated!

I think i would have marked the money with uv pen

then handed it over

then called the police myself.

nail the scroat

trouble is how many times has he done this to others?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think i would have marked the money with uv pen

then handed it over

then called the police myself.

nail the scroat

trouble is how many times has he done this to others?

My guess would be a few times, considering the confidence he had during the call and how he was able to sound like he was speaking to his manager. There was no background noise at the time either, I bet he was just calling me from his mobile at home!

What a horrible person, no wonder he was so nice to me. He saw something in it for himself right from the start. I can only hope his position is maybe now questioned from the information they already have, and this will be followed up with a letter detailing his behaviour.