Landlord has disposed of goods

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2855 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone cast any light on this

My previous landlord has disposed of some expensive goods I was unable to remove from the property when I left. I have been trying to make arrangements to have them collected. I was sent a letter saying that if they had been removed, I owe charges for this, and if not collected within 7 days of the date of the letter, would be disposed of. There was no information on the letter as to where the goods were, collected by or stored at. I replied within 7 days of receiving the letter, but have been told that as that was outside of the 7 days from the date of the letter, they had been disposed of.

It is my understanding that a landlord should provide at least 21 days notice, and 3 months if they claim I owe them money (which they claim I do, for rent - which incidentally I don't owe!)

Can anyone help me out with this issue?

I'm not even aware of the 21 days notice rule which you refer to this is contained in the contract. I will thought that the landlord would be obliged to keep the goods for a reasonable period of time – whatever that is. Certainly more than seven days.

I would say that you have an action against your landlord in the tort of conversion. See the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977.

Of course you will have to establish very clearly what has gone and the replacement value of it – unless the goods have special sentimental value in which case you would have to justify an enhanced value for that.

If you have the telephone number of the landlord then frankly I would start off by implementing the advice in our customer services guide and then telephoning him/her and try to get as much incriminating evidence possible.

I would then write a letter complaining about what has happened. Describing the goods. Giving a value – which might be the top end value – and requiring either the return of the goods or payment of their value to you within 14 days.

Of course, you would be liable for some reason storage costs – but let the landlord bring that up. I don't think you need to mention that for the moment.

Don't get involved in any protracted discussions about this. State your case and if the landlord's want to play ball then frankly go ahead and sue. Your chances of success are better than 95% – although you need to make sure that you can justify the value of what you're claiming with appropriate evidence.

Make sure you know that when you get your judgement you can enforce it. Other words you need to know where the landlord is living, what property he owns, et cetera. Is he acting in person or as a company?

If he is acting in person, then have you any idea if he has been paying tax on his property rental? Does he have other properties which is renting? This kind of information is worth finding out because it is with this kind of ammunition that you can make life a little uncomfortable for this person and him may well think twice about trying to defend your action.

Were you lawfully evicted or left voluntarily on expiry of your NTQ?

Whilst LL has duty to keep Ts left over belongings safe, there are no rules on 'reasonable time' to keep them.

Max 1 rental period would appear reasonable before LL disposal.

YOU must collect them in person, not someone else.

If they were that valuable, why did you not arrange with LL a mutually convenient time within 7 days of end of T?

Sorry but as a landlord myself I find it unacceptable for stuff to be left behind for me to look after.

A good tenant would move out with ALL their belongings, most times placing in storage things that cannot be moved to the new address immediately.

I know the law says that LL is responsible and bla bla bla, but I still find that unacceptable.

We're landlords, not storage managers!

Woad, can I ask you to clarify your post as it could be read in different ways. You left the property (flat / house) with your belongings in it, how long after this point did you receive the letter giving you 7 days notice? and had you prior agreement from your landlord that he should look after you stuff?

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

king12345, I don't disagree. Recent Govt pronouncements have sought to suggest 1-2 wks, some EA's allow 4 wks and 'Can't pay' HC Bailiffs suggest LL allows 1 week before disposal. It is mainly cr@p anyway. If T has had/given due Notice or abandoned property I too don't see why he should get extra 'free storage' time.