Reference request from prospective employer - previous replied dismissal - won't expa

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Need some urgent advice.

I used to work for Arriva north London as a bus driver. I suffered repeated phnumonia while I was in my probationary period and was dismissed due to attendance - caused by my sickness !

Anyway. This was in Dec 2013.

I have last year applied for a position in the ambulance service, having improved my health enough I feel.

This ambulance service requested a reference from Arriva and they have replied with just "dismissal" which has now cost me my conditional offer with the ambulance service which I was due to start on 06/06 ! Next week.

Arriva are refusing to provide any elaboration on the dismissal, not even willing to provide that it was due to absence.

Is there anything I can do other than a SAR ?

This bus company made my illness worse by not helping with adaptiontons to the working conditions by way of putting me on rota on newer busses that had climate control thus helping me breathe- instead leaving me on older and older busses with no ventilation !

Now they have cost me my dream job !

Hello there. How distressing for you.

Was your employment after Aviva OK?

Have you spoken to the ambulance service to explain?

HB

Thank you for your reply HB.

I've not worked since Arriva due to the level of illness they caused me :( so this is my first application returning to work because I want to. I've had a Esa medical recently and been told I'm to remain in the SG for another 18 months so could just sit in my backside but want to work or at least try.

Yea I've spoken to the ambulance service hr recruitment team at length and provided information and med certs for the period leading up to my dismissal but they still say they are not progressing me.

I've got into around £4K debt in order to prepare for this job in gaining my C1 license needed to begin training, in getting transport to commute (motorbike) as there is endless traffic in the area I was to be based in west Essex.

Insurance, kit etc.

An now no job as they say, it's a conditional offer subject to references ! But also state you can not start training unless you have full C1 on your license a week before your to begin training so what was I meant to do :(

I've sent in a scanned copy of a letter I was given whe I was dismissed which states reason as - unsatisfactory attendance.

I hope that may change their mind but I just can't help feel this is just the reason they were looking for to bin me as I've a history of illness !!

I've had this numerous times being disabled, but of course never have anything to prove it.

Sorry to say;

https://www.gov.uk/job-offers-your-rights

If an employer withdraws their job offer

Once someone has accepted an offer they can only take action in certain situations.

Situation

The offer was conditional and the applicant didn’t meet the conditions - The applicant can’t take any action

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Sorry to say;

https://www.gov.uk/job-offers-your-rights

If an employer withdraws their job offer

Once someone has accepted an offer they can only take action in certain situations.

Situation

The offer was conditional and the applicant didn’t meet the conditions - The applicant can’t take any action

It's not so much the Ambulance service that I'm angry with, its arriva. They dismissed me on grounds of attendance, absence. Which was caused by an illness. But they have recorded it as a straight dismissal which is not the case. I believe it should be recorded as medical reasons, as I was still covered by a med cert when they sacked me.

How is this fair, that I have a disability caused by the repeated phnumonia and now going to get haunted by their reference replies of "dismissed" for any jobs I manage to get an interview for.... Which in 3 years has been 2.

The ambulance service has annoyed me so far as in stating I must obtain my C1 license by 1 week of the starting date (06/06/16) or you won't begin employment. So this I done, at expense (high Apr loan as only option) and now have no job to pay it off.

How do I go about pursuing Arriva to change their dissmal to medical grounds ? Seeing as I was off more than I was there due to illness ?

Have med records and med Certs as proof. Surely they can't punish me like this ???

Ouch indeed!

As you've already spoken to HR once before & have now sent in a copy of your dismissal letter.

Could you possibly speak to them again & ask if it would make any difference as to the reason why you was dismissed? I.E would your being off sick with pneumonia, which led to your being dismissed be taken into account rather than just being dismissed.

In other words, would they have still offered you the job knowing the real reason behind your dismissal or not at the time.

Fingers X for you!!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Well .... I've emailed one of the directors and the managers at the ambulance service were looking at what they can do yesterday.

I've spoken to this director today and she has said they now want a full occupational health assessment done - even tho I've passed their internal fitness test (pretty difficult) and the pre screening in which I declared asthma and hey fever which is what I suffer with.

She's sold this to me on the basis the organisation will be better placed under the equality act to assist me ??? I just feel that I'm yet again been put at a disadvantage because I've got an underlying health issue. Which is managed and stable !

I won't be starting Monday, that's a certainty. But just to kick me in the nuts !! They sent me emails that were for all new starters today with the training locations and times !! :( tbh I'm starting to feel so down

Right come on, let's look at the response you got....😊

I'm an optimist & I would take a positive rather than a negative from her response, esp at her suggestion for having the full OHA done.

As that at least gives you a small glimmer of hope that there's a way forward with this job.

Also the Director could've just said "no, we don't want to employ you" & that was that!

The End...

This is your dream job, so if they put you through a few more hurdles, won't it be worth it ONCE your getting them starter emails for real?

I guess the answer is yes?

Good luck & fingers still X for you...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Right come on, let's look at the response you got....😊

I'm an optimist & I would take a positive rather than a negative from her response, esp at her suggestion for having the full OHA done.

As that at least gives you a small glimmer of hope that there's a way forward with this job.

Also the Director could've just said "no, we don't want to employ you" & that was that!

The End...

This is your dream job, so if they put you through a few more hurdles, won't it be worth it ONCE your getting them starter emails for real?

I guess the answer is yes?

Good luck & fingers still X for you...

Yeah I guess, just so down and meh at the moment.

I know you are, so I'm sending you some Hugzzz, so you are not out there on your own... 😊

Have my OH appointment a week tomorrow, this time with a Dr ??

The OH place called me today to book it. I asked what they would be checking and was told how my brittle asthma affects me and if it is likely to affect my job role in the future.

Also if they consider the equality Act applies to me ????

Isn't "brittle asthma" classed as "difficult to control"? So not ideal in emergency situations.

Is it under control? Dream job or not, lives other than your own are at risk so I can see why caution is needed.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Isn't "brittle asthma" classed as "difficult to control"? So not ideal in emergency situations.

Is it under control? Dream job or not, lives other than your own are at risk so I can see why caution is needed.

It is regarded a difficult yes. But has been stable and controlled for the last year or so, with no hospital admissions. Just managed with my medicine I take daily, so no more risky than someone with any other condition.

I certainly do not just flake out, or have a sudden 'asthm attack' I get chest infections if I do not catch the beginning of one quick enough

Asthma has many forms and people do assume we are all the 'wheezing, whistling' form.

I must say I am quite offended at the suggestion I would risk other people's health, if I were not fit enough -1) I wouldn't have applied. -2) I wouldn't have passed their internal fitness test that everyone has to pass and sit, with no adjustments.

What I need is advice on how to get Arriva to provide the extra information other than 'dismissed' and/or reason for leaving changed to medical reasons.

As this is what being accepted into the ambulance service pivots on.

I think in fact this is what the OH appointment is for; that is more important than former employer records. So this is an alternative to the reference, I would reckon.

You would be surprised how many alcoholics and uncontrolled epileptics take driving jobs. I assume nothing these days. Caution is not an accusation, it's a sensible precaution.

"Is it under control" is a really fair question and an area OH will ask about - so I would get ready for it! And I would be more exact than "year or so" - when was your last incident? etc etc.

If the condition does not affect your daily life, there may be no equality act protection

if it does, you may not be fit to do the job

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I think in fact this is what the OH appointment is for; that is more important than former employer records. So this is an alternative to the reference, I would reckon.

You would be surprised how many alcoholics and uncontrolled epileptics take driving jobs. I assume nothing these days. Caution is not an accusation, it's a sensible precaution.

"Is it under control" is a really fair question and an area OH will ask about - so I would get ready for it! And I would be more exact than "year or so" - when was your last incident? etc etc.

If the condition does not affect your daily life, there may be no equality act protection

if it does, you may not be fit to do the job

I understand where your coming from, my last hospital admission was in July 2013. But had chest infections since that have been resolved quickly with medication I keep at home.

Daily life does get affected so far as I can't run around over the park with the kids, or go cycling etc. Extreme exertion makes me cough but what would be required of me in the job role is within what I can do, as evidenced by the fitness test.

I take medicine daily to keep me healthy but do have less lung function that someone health of my age group due to scaring from pneumonia.

As I say, I am very cautious with OH due to previous problems with them finding reasons not to employ me for job roles In the past.

Just have to wait and see I guess.

Had a reply from Arriva today !! :@

Dear B****,

I do apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

As discussed previously, we had to seek advice from our employment advisors.

As advised, we are under no obligation to provide further information other than what has already been provided in the reference stating that you were dismissed. Unfortunately, we cannot alter each reference request specific to an individual request. The letter provided to the company is a standard reference that is provided to all companies upon request.

Therefore we cannot provide any additional information, other then what was provided in the reference letter that was submitted previously.

Kind regards,

A******

Where do I go from here ? They know full well I was ill and that's why they sacked me, yet will not even help !! Disgusting behaviour

if your new employer rings them up and asks for details they arent going to tell lies so dont worry about omissions.

They have called them and asked them to clarify and they have point blank refused. In my eyes as bad as lying as there is nothing bad on file. Aside from attendance my file is perfect.

Also, any future jobs I apply for are going to receive the same reference. Which is not accurate.

Had OH appointment today with the Dr and feel it went well.

He said in his opinion I am covered by the equality act because I've had the condition for a long time.

He said that he agrees It is stable and managed but needs to write to my consultant to confirm for evidence to back this up.

As long as the consultants letter comes back okay then he can not see any reason for me not to continue.

Hi,

You can write (again) to your former employer that they should ensure that the information they have about you is accurate. (Data Protection Act)

That you are now aware that your references read that you were dismissed. That is inaccurate as it is incomplete and doesn't present the complete picture.

It should, at least, read "employment terminated due to ill health" or something to that line.

You have to keep pushing though as they will most likely would refuse.