Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Dec 2006

Default Re: Fracking gets go-ahead in UK for first time since 2011 as North Yorkshire council approves plans

Day 2
    Minister defends consent for Cuadrilla’s fracking site on second day of legal challenge
    Lawyers for the Communities’ Secretary have been defending his decision to grant planning permission for Cuadrilla’s fracking plans near Blackpool.

In October 2016, Sajid Javid approved the company’s scheme to drill, frack and test up to four wells at Preston New Road, Little Plumpton.

A residents group and a local campaigner went to the High Court in Manchester this week to challenge the decision, arguing that was unlawful and should be quashed.

Preston New Road Action Group (PNRAG) said Mr Javid had misunderstood or misapplied local and national planning policy in approving the fracking scheme.

The judge, Sir Ian Dove, said he would produce his judgement as soon as possible but was unable to give an estimate of when that would be. He told the legal teams, which comprised eight barristers, as well as solicitors and advisers:

“You have all raised a great deal of interesting food for thought. I need to give my time to do justice to them.”

He added:
    “I will knuckle down now. You can go away having finished your hard work. Mine now starts.”
    https://drillordrop.com/2017/03/16/m...gal-challenge/

Basic Account Holder tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2009

Default Re: Fracking gets go-ahead in UK for first time since 2011 as North Yorkshire council approves plans

a little reminder from another thread

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/inte...ntional_en.htm

Shame we are leaving the EU and that these regs, like a lot of workers rights, will undoubtedly be 'forgotten' to be included UK law when the Tories do their 'great repeal'

... BUT they are of course still currently valid

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...letters-reveal

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl Authoritative tawnyowl's Avatar

Chartered Insurance Institute warns on growing fracking risks

The CII's claims faculty new generation group stated that while the existing products provide adequate cover for households and small businesses, and no insurer specifically excludes fracking, there are no insurance policies that specifically cover it.

The key perils associated with fracking include earthquakes, explosions and fire, pollution, injury and death. The report said: "While cover for these risks are included in most insurance policies, fracking will pose additional complications around liability. Widespread fracking may also lead to increased claims frequency near fracking sites and then insurers may have to consider how they underwrite this emerging higher-risk group."
    More on the link.All these dangers and the Government overrule Democratic decisions and want to frack the whole country that is so small.We live so close to each other, to the rivers, streams, ditches,, wildlife. I fear for us all if this carries on.We will see.
    http://www.intelligentinsurer.com/ne...ng-risks-11405

Basic Account Holder tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2 Highly informative tobyjugg2's Avatar

Worth a read, particularly between the lines

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa...-idUKKBN16V0IL

Note especially how many wells are being 'abandoned' particularly given the UK governments complete resistance to adding safeguards to UK drills.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Just a quick update .
    The Fracking site here near Blackpool has resembled a swamp lately with all the rain recently.
    However with good weather forecast for a week or so Cuadrilla will be expecting to crack on.
    But so will the protectors who have just opened their second water camp.

The main live streamers Danny the Lion and Frank a Salford lad have been busy live streaming and also filmed a kitchen being made out of
    old Pallets.And second-hand roofing materials, all the protectors getting stuck in.
    This could be a long fight unless the court case goes in favour of the protectors.Lasting months, years even.

The other day at AE Yates of Bolton suppliers to the Frackers a peaceful pop-up protest took place.Things got a little heated.
    So the next day a lock on took place, kind of saying get nasty and things escalate.
    As this company probably is thinking of how many sites will be needed they carry on. Perhaps they should rethink, they do not seem short of work.
    The protectors just see the danger to the Air and Water not short term profit.
    Would you believe we let companies get away with causing Earthquakes, pollution, danger to us here in Great Britain.
    And just do a little research, see how big this could be on this small Island.

Expecting over the next couple of weeks to see protests step up as Reclaim The Power step into the fray.
    The road outside the site is being lowered to 30 from 50 and 20 very close to the site.
    Trucks still leaving a mess, stones, mud as they leave site on the road.
    No professional truck wheel wash installed.

Police still acting as Cuadrillas private army. A few arrests including a lady on a bike.
    Not very popular at times as they change each time a lorry enters or leaves to one of forceful control.Out they run from their vans, ten twenty thirty at a time to facilitate this company.
    Cost over a million now and bound to increase.
    More people turning up each week, things building.

Back to live streaming thoughts. It is good to do because you keep your back covered.Especially if in close contact with police or workers
    The evidence is there for all to see, not as certain biassed newspapers or TV Station might report things.
    Expecting live streaming to build massively across the UK. And day courses, are being held here and there.For those that want to learn a little.
    Much happening across Great Britain, but this is the one to fight and let the Frackers know they are not going to have an easy passage.
    This battle will be fought on many fronts.
    As I say just a quick update.Next week the fuse may be lit and I will be busy with live links from many places.

I believe on Monday a member of the Happy Mondays group Bez is popping down to the protector camps then the Fracking Site to offer a little support.
    Tina Rothery has been in London this week and expect Tina will be back down there live streaming.I will put links on next week.
    A few weeks to look forward to, perhaps not if you are a Fracker or supporter of Fracking.
    As we have just mentioned music .i will leave you with some.

Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you for a second time, first one a few pages back.One Man And His Beard.

One man and his Beard Presents - Let US Be Frack - Free

Bye for now.
    Tawnyowl.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Quote Originally Posted by tobyjugg2 View Post
    Worth a read, particularly between the lines

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa...-idUKKBN16V0IL

Note especially how many wells are being 'abandoned' particularly given the UK governments complete resistance to adding safeguards to UK drills.
    Thanks for the post tobyjugg2,i missed it, I was writing as you posted.Just spotted it now.
    Yes Oil price so important.You take so much information in you forget to put them down.

Yesterday I was looking at the price of Frac Sand rising.And how much is used per frack.Mines being opened and the dangers that brings.More expense for the Frackers, transportation etc.Silica I believe, kiln dried perhaps, similar or the same as you put between block paving, jointing but not 100% sure.
    Price build as demand grows.
    Worth a touch of research I feel.
    http://geology.com/articles/frac-sand/

Councils perhaps scared of challenging the government due to the expense incurred.
    Well make is so tough through regulating the Frackers it is impossible for them.

Lancashire County Council should be jumping down their throats at each regulation breach, are they I wonder.
    Just a few thoughts that I will come back to.
    Believe Spain did a similar thing and the Frackers have Fracked off.That statement needs checking as well.You read so much it is easy to make mistakes.
    Anyway nice to hear from you tobyjugg2,always interesting thoughts and posts.
    And a lot of lines to read between.Interesting article.

Quote Originally Posted by tawnyowl View Post
    Lancashire County Council should be jumping down their throats at each regulation breach,
    To darned right they should be tawnyowl
    and challenged as to why if they don't.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Anti-frackers swing into action at Lancashire quarry.
    Anti-fracking activists from Bristol swung into action in Lancashire this morning with a blockade at Preston New Road fracking site suppliers Aggregate Industries.

The blockade is the launch action of Break the Chain, a fortnight of interventions called by national social and climate justice group Reclaim the Power

Press release this morning and picture.
    https://reclaimthepower.org.uk/press...ashire-quarry/

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Latest picture from Reclaim The Power at the Quarry near Carnforth.Such a great picture I thought it best to share.
    Latest is.: Police removal team on site to try and shift our friends on swings - still going strong!
    This operation has trucks queuing and has shut the operation down.
    No aggregates going anywhere.The idea is to make suppliers to Fracking sites think twice about what they are doing.

I will update later in the day from the PNR Cuadrilla Fracking Site as a little work to do in the garden.Crops, plants to prepare and sell as the warmth of spring arrives.
    Bye for now.
    Tawnyowl.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Just popped in for a break.Working on my Strawberry plantation, ha.

Danny the Lion live streaming as Bez arrives from Happy Mondays. at PNR Cuadrilla Fracking Site.-Gets a little heated as a truck leaves.
    https://www.facebook.com/dan.rye.52/...c_ref=NEWSFEED

Tina Rothery Live Streaming.
    https://www.facebook.com/tinalouiseuk?hc_ref=SEARCH

I think the Quarry protest at Carnforth supplying the Cuadrilla Site is still ongoing. Will check.

What’s happening this week? 27 March-2 April 2017-Drill Or Drop.
    https://drillordrop.com/2017/03/27/w...-2-april-2017/

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

UPDATE: the swing-blockaders came down after 11 HOURS, closing the quarry for a full day! Amazing work at the 1st #breakthechain action

As another day breaks a 8 man lock on at the Preston New Road Cuadrilla Fracking Site Lancashire.
    8 people locked onto the fences that Cuadrilla moved forward to prevent this from happening under the guise of remedial works that probably would have taken years.Probably would have planted a couple of trees in a year or so.
    Also a protest elsewhere against Eddie Stobart, Warrington I believe.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2417...4/?pnref=story

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Yesterday a report on why Reclaim The Power closed off business for the day at the Quarry near Carnforth.
    Showing the supply chains of the fracking industry some resistance

Also I said the protectors were locked to the fences.They are locked to each other and must not be moved till the protector removal squad arrive from Manchester.
    Heard somewhere that there is a high height protector removal squad based down South somewhere.

The Lancashire protectors seem to be getting a lot of support from many places.But superb support shown from Kirby Misperton In Yorkshireicon.
    I have noticed this over the last few months and am sure the support will be returned when they need it.
    All in it together thoughts.

Something in the Water: Satirical adverts appear in bus stops around Leeds to protest fracking
    Bus-stops in Leeds have been taken over by activists in a creative protest to raise awareness that thousands of gallons of fracking fluid could be headed for the city.
    https://reclaimthepower.org.uk/uncat...test-fracking/

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Got a little work to do, so will leave you with this if you have a little time.
    Will update the days events late in the afternoon.Take care and have a good day.

Voices from the Gasfields : It started with just ONE well
    This is the film the UK & Australian Governments do NOT want you to see! Documenting the accounts of families living with the Unconventional hydrocarbon (Fracking) industry as a neighbour, this hour long documentary is shocking, as it reveals the day to day pollution these people live with – pollution of water, air, light and sound, some of the the basic human requirements needed to survive. The blind eye that the authorities and the Unconventional hydrocarbon (fracking) industry turn to these families living conditions, and the complete disregard to the environmental damage done to the bush by this, is truly disgraceful.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

As the early days sunshine fades and the sky clouds over as rain arrives the last protectors at the 8 hour lock on are cut free and arrested.Another day is ending at the Cuadrilla site in Lancashire.
    Many more people are live streaming and the links are being watched in many places in the world.

Cuadrilla must be having nightmares as things begin to escalate against them.
    What is happening at the site which has been waterlogged lately who knows, but you get the feeling things are not going that well,
    All that lime being delivered by Eddie Stobarts lorries.Soil Stabilisation perhaps.
    And across the world just imagine what may happen at Fracking Sites here if we get the storm from hell
    as climate change brings strange weather patterns.Flooding etc.

Whatever your views on Fracking are the evidence is mounting across the world showing the effects it is having on communities.
    States, Countries are banning Fracking but this country with no social licence to do so just plough on.
    Or try to, leading people to think Democracy is dead.And you wonder why people are angry.

Now just because I am Anti-Fracking does not mean I do not listen to people who are for it.
    Have your say, I will not shout you down for having a view.
    Just put a few links down if possible.
    Perhaps you think how many jobs will be created against how many jobs are being created in renewables.
    Well, tell us.I will show how many jobs are being created in renewables across the world while this country just wants or seems to want to tax the hell out of the idea.

How many jobs might fracking bring to the UK?
    http://www.refracktion.com/index.php...ry/employment/

I am off now, getting a little roused which is happening a lot lately. Time to chill.Have your say, whatever you feel.
    I wonder what tomorrow will bring.
    Bye for now.
    Tawnyowl.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

WINDSOR, UK — This morning a group of anti-frackers from Reclaim the Power occupied Centrica’s head office and threw a party for CEO, Iain Conn, congratulating him on his controversial 1.4 million ‘fracker’s bonus.’
    The group went to celebrate with Iain Conn to highlight Centrica’s ties to the fracking industry – they are a significant stakeholder in Lancashire fracking operations. They celebrated by awarding a giant cheque, spraying champagne and throwing confetti.

One of the activists, dressed as a Cuadrilla executive, gave the following speech:
    “We’re here at Centrica’s offices to say congratulations to Iain on his well-deserved 1.4 million fracker’s bonus. Without his company bankrolling fracking in Lancashire, the industry would be dead in the water.

“Fracking may be devastating to local communities and have no public backing, but kudos to Iain for sticking with it through the tough times. Going forward, we hope Centrica continues to profit from Lancashire’s sacrifices, and that you can use your millions to shield yourself from climate catastrophe.”
    More on the Link.
    https://reclaimthepower.org.uk/press...rackers-bonus/

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Just in case anyone is annoyed that their Energy supplier has investments in the Frackers.
    One way to let them know.
    How Can I Oppose Fracking?

Do you pay energy bills to any of these guys.
    http://unfrack.me/

Many people are inadvertently supporting fracking by getting their energy from a supplier who supports it. Four of the Big Six energy companies are connected to fracking companies – for example, British Gas is owned by Centrica, a company who have investments in fracking1. British Gas is the biggest energy supplier in Britain – are all of its customers aware that they’re supporting fracking through their energy bills?
    https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-gre...ppose-fracking

Switch your energy to a cleaner supplier

We’ve teamed up with Ecotricity and Good Energy to make switching the gas and electricity to your home or business quick and simple.
    Each time someone switches to clean energy it’s a vote for a green future. Switching is quick and super easy and is one of the most effective actions we can all take to protect our planet. That’s why we work closely with Ecotricity and Good Energy.
    https://www.foe.co.uk/page/switch-en...eaner-supplier

What about the Banks that support Frackers.If You Feel like it tell them to Frack Off and move your money.
    Fracking bankers

Research conducted by Ethical Consumer has found that Barclaysicon, HSBCicon and Lloyds all offer banking services to companies with licenses to test new potential fracking sites in the UK.
    The table below lays out which bank is used by which fracking company and for what purpose.
    http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/ethic...gindustry.aspx

I wonder what tomorrow will bring.Day 4 of BreakTheChain.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative

Cagger since : Jun 2008

good info.
    in one of the energy compare sites it gives a brief percentage breakdown of where their energy comes from (though not the full details).
    and a couple seem to offer 'green' tariffs which wld be re say for eg from a wind farm. so they say. but who knows in the end (what wld they do if there was not enough wind for awhile to meet demand (maybe unlikely i know, given all the wind in the uk atm! )

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Hi Ford good to hear from you.Nice to have a little company.I get a little roused so trying to calm down a touch.
    That is it for today, lowering blood pressure time.
    Think usually we usually meet on threads talking about insects on plants or strange noises in the sky, and in the past on the Legal Loan Sharks pages.

This Fracking business winds you up.You can see what is happening.The usual ways, throw a little money about, befriend the locals, put a new roof on the village hall, sponsor a few things.
    Oil the powerful ones in the government, spend on Lobby Groups, PR machines, slick speakers.
    The protectors just have themselves.The Leaders of the Cuadrillas of this world run to the Government saying help there are a few protectors outside the gates help me.
    Next day it is like a war is about to break out as police arrive in force.

I am surprised how many people have read this thread in the last few weeks and thought I wonder if I should quieten down a bit.I do not want to annoy any powerful ones.
    Then you think and read what is happening around the world and realise once you are in you have no choice.You shut up for a bit then charge back in angrier than ever.
    The truth has to be said, let out.You realise some of the media are biassed in their view and wrong in their reports. Easier now to prove with modern day filming.

And although I tend to tap away on the keyboard a lot, when I go down to the site or a rally it is strange.Walking about suddenly you see people that you have seen on videos who are there every day.
    Look slightly different to what they look like on the telly or video.Taller, younger, older, thinner everything you can think of.You get to know their little mannerisms even.
    Frank the live streamer with his Zippo firing up unless it runs out of petrol, he makes me laugh, I even use one of his sayings now, to the wife when she tells me off, "You are alarming and distressing me give me my space",ha.
    The Lion when you meet him another fantastic guy a live streamer who I had a fine chat to for 5 minutes at the Rally.Really cares and knowledgeable.
    A chat to Bob Dennett, very clued up. Meeting Ian Crane the guy who made the video a post or two ago in Australia.
    Seeing and meeting Gayzer Frackman the chap who took the energy minister to court recently.
    Tina Rothery a tigress.Saw her face up to a policeman nearly seven foot tall recently.Think she is about 4 feet ten inches.And Tina's sister tirelessly protecting at the roadside.
    Logic, Ben, Ros, Danny, Ozric, Silver Fox, so many but you will never forget them for sure.
    And many more from all over the country you meet in such strange places. Hoofing it away from a situation, in the middle of the road, marching, sat on a rickshaw, on a wall.On the Road To Hell, next to the Road that leads to the Well From Hell.On the gates or fence that leads to the road that leads to the well to hell.

I will never forget them and will remember them long after this is over.And I have so many videos and pictures
    Feel like you know them. A tapper on a keyboard trying to link things up, tell their story as best as you can.There are many of us I suppose.
    When down at the battlefield I have found myself in some strange situations but enjoyed every minute.
    Remembering now the first day going there a digger behind a fence, midwinter a truck being held up by protectors to where we are now.
    Next Wednesday is the next day I am down there .Swap work for work event. No doubt it will be an eventful day. Soup and Cake and plenty of Banter.
    Enough I will stop now, glad to chill a little.
    I wish you all a good evening.
    Tawnyowl.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative Ford Authoritative

Cagger since : Jun 2008

Think usually we usually meet on threads talking about insects on plants or strange noises in the sky, and in the past on the Legal Loan Sharks pages.

i shldn't be posting much more, hence the 'past' re some threads. but, still around for abit, and the frackers are of interest.

it was interesting to note that the uk recently took in some fracked gas from elsewhere eg was it an fragile Amazonicon, peru? prompting the 'not in my back yard' criticism. cf. though, the likes of greenp saying not in any yard

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

As a new day arrives Blackbirds and Wrens singing as Dawn arrives in Warrington at Eddie Stobarts a lock on is taking place.
    People are locked together by the main gates and will need the Protector removal squad to remove the locks etc.
    This company is being asked to think twice about supplying a Fracking Site run by Cuadrilla in Lancashire.
    Drivers cannot get to their trucks but cars are being let out.Site is closed,locked down,closed for business.
    Ongoing for a couple of hours now.
    Live link,how long the link will last I do not know.
    https://www.facebook.com/cherylatkin...2/?pnref=story

Also it is Day 4 now of Reclaim The Powers actions against the Fracking companies suppliers and networks.Called Break The Chain.
    What may the day bring.Updates when I hear anything throughout the day.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details