Employer issued warning for not calling in sick

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been issued a written warning from my employer, I was sick last week, I called in and spoke to a colleague and said I was likely to be off for Two days. The following day I was worse and was up half the night and asleep in the morning, I received a call from my manager being rude to be about not calling in, but I was aslerp, very unwell. Now they have issued me with a warning and said if I need to appeal I have to do it tonight on my shift and I have no idea what to do?

I was 10 minutes late for work a few weeks ago and was also issued a warning.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal employee procedure?

Can anyone help me with a letter to appeal?

Thank you :)

at my place you have to call in every day you are sick and may get warnings for being late, yes

when you started did they give you info on what to do if ill?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

1. are you a member of a union?

2. have you got a copy of your grievance and disciplinary procedure

3. how long have you been employed by this company?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Guest topcat14

Rather short notice for an appeal against the sanction.

Standard protocol varies from employer to employer, but you should be given a reasonable time to respond and give your reasons why you could not follow the policy.

Have they followed their own policies in the employee handbook ?

How long have you worked for the employer ?

Edited by topcat14
Grammar !

Hello, yes I would have called in 2nd day but as was so I'll following a night of sickness was literally asleep still in the morning, when I had a call from my manager being rude to me about not calling In.

I have worked there since oct 2015

Many colleagues are having problems with the new management

I work on reception but recently they ask me to cook food, I have no qualification, does anyone know if this ok.. . They say it is

Yes I believe they have followed procedure correctly but m upset that they issue warning when I was so poorly, that I didn't call, I live alone so could not get anyone to do for me I won't go in to detail but I was very sick!

Thank you

John

Cook food? been on a food handling or hygiene course yet? The no it is not alright if you havent and they havent organised such a qualification.

As for the calling in sick it will be down to your conditions of service and its sickness or reporting policy if separate. It is unreasonable however, to expect you to go straight into a disciplinary meeting without being told beforehand and being told what it si about and given time to prepare yourself.

When you can tell us what your T&C's say we will be able to suggest a form of words for an appeal.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no legal requirement for you to have food hygiene training to cook food, just a recomendation.

As for phoning in every day, yes you need to do this unless you have a prior agreement in place. I understand that when you are sick it can be difficult to wake up at a set time and phone in but thats whats expected and yes you can get disciplined for it. Not much you can do other than explain the situation and hope for the best.

They shouldnt be issuing warnings without an investigation (return to work interview would be sufficient) and a formal disciplinary. Some companies have lesser procedures that dont equate to disciplinary actions, such as letters of concern, which you couldnt get fired for, but could be used in future disciplinaries. Ask to see your companies dsciplinary and grievance procedures as these should outline time frames.