• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2870 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My business partner and I are going to be registering our company very soon. I know that somewhere into the process, we're going to need to open a business bank account and designate that as our main account for the business.

About 3 years ago, I opened a business account and had a business loan that was connected with that account when I opened it (by Lloyds TSB). This company was as a sole trader and wasn't a registered company.

I had some payment issues and the business account was eventually closed, as I'd missed some loan repayments/late payments, etc. Ultimately, the loan was sold on by Lloyds and I've been paying it back ever since.

I didn't go bankrupt or anything like that, and the loan wasn't a large sum of money. But I lost the business bank account in the process. I've been paying off the loan ever since through a debt consolidation company and all is fine in that regard.

I was wondering if I'm likely to experience issues when opening a business bank account now? I'd use a different bank and I wouldn't be looking to get a loan or anything like that. It would purely be myself and my business partner using it as our official business bank account.

Any help on this would be much appreciated,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Due to the kindness of a relative, I'm due to inherit some money as part of an early pension take-out.

I was looking to put some of the money towards paying off my debt, rather than saving it all.

The interest on the debt is, naturally, higher than the interest I'd get putting it into a savings account.

So a couple of questions:

- Are there any tax implications on doing this?

The money is currently waiting for me in a savings account.

The debt is a loan and a credit card debt that was defaulted on some years ago

and is now held with a debt management service.

I was just wondering if I'd be taxed paying off the lump sum of debt?

- Would it be possible to negotiate with the bank the debt is for

and try to get a settlement figure that they'd be willing to let me pay in a lump sum?

I know it's probably on a case-by-case basis, but just wondering if there's precedent for this?

Also, for the remainder of the money, I was planning on putting it into a savings account.

What are the best current recommendations for a UK based savings account?

Thanks!

yes wasting the money......

you mean a DCA not a DMP I take it.

so when was the last time you paid anything on these debts?

what are /were they and who was the original creditor?

have you done PPI/penalty charges reclaiming on them?

are they defaulted?

what is that date

who are the DCA that owns them now?

All references to a defaulted debt must be removed from your credit files after 6 years

has passed from date of default, whether paid off or not.

{the WHOLE ACCOUNT WILL VANISH, never to return}.

{however, this does not mean the debt itself is not still owed

consider a CCA request.}

This is so that someone who continues paying something

- even after 6 years from default

- should not be at a disadvantage to someone who pays nothing after default

and ends up with a clean file after 6 years.

NOTE: {the bracketed text is not ICO guideline but my advise]

I take they are not subject to any CCJ's nor charging orders either?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

so when was the last time you paid anything on these debts?

I've been paying the regular monthly payments. I just missed a couple and it defaulted quickly as it was a business account.

But I've been paying the monthly payments regularly for some time now.

It was defaulted and the debt was taken on by a solicitors firm somewhere. I now have Money Advice Unit (or whatever they're called now - they seem to change their name regularly) handling it. All the letters and calls stopped and they froze most of the interest.

what are /were they and who was the original creditor?

Original creditor was Lloyds. For both the loan and credit cards. I only owe debt to Lloyds.

have you done PPI/penalty charges reclaiming on them?

I have through Money Advice Unit. They said there isn't any PPI or charges to claim back, unfortunately.

So what would you advise as far as getting this paid off ASAP?

Thanks,

Whatever you do, do not tell any fleecing DCA or Solicitor that you have come into money....they are not known to reciprocate when it comes to acts of generosity. They want as much as possible whatever the circumstances.

As DX suggests, explore other avenues first. If the debts were sold off to a debt purchaser, then there is no point approaching the bank - they would no longer own it.

You need to make a request for a copy of the original credit agreements in the first instance - directly to the 'Solicitor' handling the debt and depending on the type of loan that you took out. Any potential F&F offer should only be considered based on the enforceability of the debt.

Who actually owns the debt now? The name of the solicitor or DCA would help as others may have experience of the best way to deal with them.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

sounds like you are being fleeced blind by this money advice unit?

who are they?

not one of these fee paying companies is it?

you pay a fee each month, they pay pennies off the debt and pocket the rest?

sorry but its sounding like you might be being cash cowed here.

don't forget, whemever now owns the debts are NOT BAILIFFs

and have no such legal powers.

best you get a CCA request off to the debt owners pronto.

your credit file should tell you who owns each debt you are drip paying.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

sounds like you are being fleeced blind by this money advice unit?

who are they?

not one of these fee paying companies is it?

you pay a fee each month, they pay pennies off the debt and pocket the rest?

They're called Money Management Team. They're pretty well known.

Actually in a much better position with MMT than when I owed the debt to Lloyds. Like I say, they've frozen most of the interest and allow me to pay a reasonable amount each month.

your credit file should tell you who owns each debt you are drip paying.

My credit file says the debt is LLOYDS BANK.

It's now owned by a solicitors called Lester Aldridge.

So what is my best plan now? My goal is just to get this debt paid off ASAP. So do I approach Lester Aldridge, Lloyds or MMT?

An obvious concern of mine is how I phrase it to either one of those, because I don't want to directly let on that I have come into a windfall. At the same time, if I want an F&F, I need to contact them to pay it all off in a lump sum.

Edited by armitage188

so MMT are some internal debt management team within Lloyds by the looks of it?

what does your credit file say about these debts please

and they

so MMT are some internal debt management team within Lloyds by the looks of it?

No, MMT are a company that I contacted individually when I was looking into doing a PPI claim. They're nothing to do with Lloyds.

Their site is here: [tried to post a link to their site, but the forum wouldn't let me as I don't have enough posts.]

what does your credit file say about these debts please

It says one is defaulted. Another is in arrears. MMT have frozen the interest and charges and I pay a small amount each month.

What do you think my chances of getting a reduced full & final settlement negotiated is?

Also, who should I approach about get a reduced F&F - the original creditors, or MMT?

And would you do this through the post or through email? I have good contact emails for them and have always had quick responses through email. Plus, I know it's actually got there and been received.

Thanks,

right so MMT is external DMC that you pay a fee to manage all you debts.?

dump them. only a hiny bit of you money will be getting to your creditors.

payplan or CCCS are free.

on the cra file who is listed as the owner of these debts will be a DCA I bet.

and they

right so MMT is external DMC that you pay a fee to manage all you debts.?

dump them. only a thiny bit of you money will be getting to your creditors.

It's only a small %, but, yes, you're right that I should dump them. I only just discovered that there are services that do this for free. The ones that advertise are, of course, the fee paying ones!

payplan or CCCS are free.

Thanks for these.

I saw elsewhere that StepChange was mentioned and I'd already contacted them last night.

They didn't seem interested in putting me on a plan like MMT did, though,

unless I went through their online budget planning tool.

I did that and it came out as "Declare bankruptcy," which I found a bit extreme!

Considering it's £9,000 of debt, I'm meeting the payments and I have the windfall coming in to pay it all off!!

you can do it yourself too mind easy.

get that CCA off

dx

and they

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to get in touch with Lloyds about paying off a lump sum of my debt as a full and final settlement.

I tried using email because I thought it would expedite the whole thing. However, I'm not having luck with Lloyds email addresses.

I've sent emails to the following addresses:

WON'T LET ME POST EMAIL ADDRESSES (the general banking email address)

WON'T LET ME POST EMAIL ADDRESSES (the CEO's email address)

I've sent three emails to each of these email addresses over the last 2 months and received no response! Each time I've forwarded the previous message and asked that if I'm sending to the wrong email account could it please be sent to the correct department.

I've heard with the CEO's email account in particular that people usually get a response from an assistant who is always helpful in ensuring the message gets in front of the people that need to see in.

But I've had no help at all.

In fact, one other email address that I sent to, the guy was really unhelpful. Said he couldn't find an account with the account numbers I'd quoted. I said, "Well I'm paying you monthly payments, so I must have an account somewhere!"

I know we're dealing with huge bureaucracies here with hundreds of departments, but it shocks me that I can have fairly large sums of debt with me and they:

i) don't seem to acknowledge I have an account with them.

ii) don't seem to want to accept a large payment from me!

Really bizarre.

I'd like to try a bit more with email. Does anyone have a current email address where I'm likely to get a response?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

Could you give us some history of this debt.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

2 threads merged

please keep to one thread.

so its regarding a loan & a credit card.

and you wish to pay them off.

have you sent a CCA request for each one to whom you are [or were] paying your monthly payment too?

if not do so, it will put your in a far stronger position if they fail

as you indicated earlier, they have no record of the accounts? or something like that?

also i'd be sending Lloyds an SAR.

this will get you all the statements for both.

that will p'haps open up lines of things to reclaim like PPI etc

and show you if they levied any reclaimable penalty charges too.

dx

and they

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm in a position where I can settle my debts with a lump sum payment.

It's a debt management company that's handling my debts with the creditors and I've used their settlement process.

They take a % fee on the savings.

The savings weren't as good as I thought they'd be,

but still would clear things and give me savings of around 30% (average across a number of debts).

I had a few questions:

1) In general, is paying off the debts all at once a wise thing to do?

Note: we're talking about around £5000 owed here.

2) Is it still a wise thing to do even if I'm doing a reduced settlement

and it won't show on my credit file as a full and final settlement?

3) How would paying off my debts affect my credit rating in the long term (and short term)?

4) I've been told charities like Step Change would potentially do the settlement process without the fees.

However, my concern is that a company like Step Change wouldn't be able to get the kind of savings on the offers that the debt management company has got for me.

And that, therefore, the fees incurred if I was to go with the debt management company would actually be worth it.

What I mean by this is that say I was able to get a saving of £500 with the debt management company,

but only £300 with Step Change.

In this hypothetical, the differences in the settlement figures would be better even with the debt management company % fees.

5) And finally - if the answer to 3) is "not much," as I'm worried it might be...is it just best to continue paying my debts off monthly rather than doing the lump sum payment? Note: I have all my debts interest frozen via the debt management company.

I know this is quite a lengthy post, but feel free to answer any or all of the questions. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm sure the experts will be along shortly.

My first thought is "are these debts legally enforceable"? Have they supplied the CCA's that go with them?

If so, and you want to clear the debts than I'd be inclined to contact the creditors directly and negotiate a full and final settlement with them and specify that the debts are marked as settled on your credit file. Start at 10% of the debt and see what they come back with.

The DMC can't get any better deal than what you can get yourself.

A saving of £500 on £5000 is ridiculous.

REMEMBER! Hunger is the enemy - NOT the hungry!

Thanks for the message, Jedicris.

If so, and you want to clear the debts than I'd be inclined to contact the creditors directly and negotiate a full and final settlement with them and specify that the debts are marked as settled on your credit file. Start at 10% of the debt and see what they come back with.

I tried to do it myself, but was just given the runaround for months and months. One of the debts kept getting sold onto other people. Then I wouldn't hear back from them for ages and I'd get a letter saying it had been sold, etc. They just made it very hard for me to speak to them and pay it off.

The DMC can't get any better deal than what you can get yourself.

Is that actually true? They claim to have a negotiation team that know how the companies work, how best to contact them, etc. It's also in their best interest to get the most savings, as they earn more money for themselves with their % fees.

So far, they managed to actually get settlement figures back in around 1 week. I wasn't able to get that in over 6 months! So they must be doing something right.

A saving of £500 on £5000 is ridiculous.

Yeah, that was just an example.

Thanks.

Thanks for the message, Jedicris.

I tried to do it myself, but was just given the runaround for months and months. One of the debts kept getting sold onto other people. Then I wouldn't hear back from them for ages and I'd get a letter saying it had been sold, etc. They just made it very hard for me to speak to them and pay it off.

Is that actually true? They claim to have a negotiation team that know how the companies work, how best to contact them, etc. It's also in their best interest to get the most savings, as they earn more money for themselves with their % fees.

So far, they managed to actually get settlement figures back in around 1 week. I wasn't able to get that in over 6 months! So they must be doing something right.

Yeah, that was just an example.

Thanks.

If they kept selling the debts= then there may have been something fishy going on.

Send them a formal request for the CCA, costs £1.00. Don't speak to them on the phone. If you hear nothing back write to them (recorded delivery) stating as they have failed to produce a valid CCA, as required by law, you are ceasing to pay anything until they do.

I did all of mine myself, despite being with Payplan (one of the free DMC's). Got far more than 10% discount.

Write to them with offer (RD). Just keep off the phone. If they phone you, say only dealing with them in writing.

If you still get no response than a FORMAL COMPLAINT to CEO.

They have to respond to that.

REMEMBER! Hunger is the enemy - NOT the hungry!

And stop paying a fee charging dmp company and demand the pot of gold back, are you sure they have actually been paying your OC's?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

oh for bleep sake

dump that fleecing fee paying DMC please

they are fleecing you blind.

and having you on....

who says the debts are even enforceable?

bet no one has ever checked..

as for them 'being better' at getting settlements

total bowlarks...

and it wont help your file either

the defaults are there for 6yrs regardless to if they are paid

list your debts

and who is paid thru the fleecers...

don't tell me Harrington brooks...?

and they

The DMC is Money Management Team.

The debts are (with rounded figures):

Lloyds - £3000

DLC - £4000

are you sure they have actually been paying your OC's?

Well calls and letters ceased when the DMC took over, so yes.

Also, all my interest and charges have been frozen, which is more than I could do as an individual trying to contact these creditors.

Also, what do you mean by "demand the pot of gold back?" How would I go about doing that?

Send them a formal request for the CCA, costs £1.00. Don't speak to them on the phone. If you hear nothing back write to them (recorded delivery) stating as they have failed to produce a valid CCA, as required by law, you are ceasing to pay anything until they do.

How do I know where to send these things, though? Is there a list of addresses to send CCA requests somewhere? The one debt that keeps on getting resold makes it difficult to know who to send it to. The Lloyds ones are confusing as there are so many departments.

Just keep off the phone. If they phone you, say only dealing with them in writing.
This is what I do. And it's one of the reasons everything takes so long. They give me the runaround through letters they take weeks to reply to.

If you still get no response than a FORMAL COMPLAINT to CEO.

They have to respond to that.

Did that. No responses at all.