Irresponsible lending advice required

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2708 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just discovered that my elderly mother inlaw (73) who is on income support

has been getting regular loans from a local agent for provident.

It would appear that a neighbour is drug dependant has been regularly getting money from her

and so she has borrowed to support herself.

There are two payment books in her possession which have a total of 5 different account numbers across the two books

and are very difficult to understand.

I can see on one occasion she was given two separate loans for £1000 each over the course of twenty days ( total credit £4200)

surely the agent from provident would be starting to ask questions.

How can an elderly person who gets income support be expected to pay over 50% of their benefit on loans.

I have since moved her away from the area she lives,

so the neighbour problem is sorted for now,

just need to get my head round this provident stuff.

Any help advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I have asked my mother inlaw what documentation she was asked to provide as evidence of income / benefit

of which she informed me that it was all verbal,

the agent asks how much and that was that.

I also asked how she found out about them and she said she got a card posted through the door.

Posting loan cards through old age pensions bungalows is disgusting.

I am happy to provide

so sorry you seem to have been missed.

On the surface of what you say she should never have been given the loans of that amount on IS

Are the loans still being paid?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Are you able to be at your mums when this 'agent' turns up for payment?

£73 a week is criminal!

I'd be lodging a formal complaint ASAP with Provi, and making a lot of noise about this 'agent' they employ.

Exhaust their complaints procedure and make it clear from the beginning that you intend on making this public, in the local and national press, and all over social media, as well as your intent on making formal complaints about their lending practices to the CMA and trading standards.

Get you local MP in on it also, this has to stop, exploiting the vulnerable is morally wrong.

Can your mum afford £73 a week?

I strongly doubt it, IMO and if I were in your shoes, I'd be telling this 'agent' exactly what they will be paid, and it would be no more than £10 a month, see how they like them apples!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hello Lucy.

I can't believe they lent your Mum that amount of money on that level of income. Actually, from what I know of Provident, it's possible.

Does your Mum have any paperwork from the meetings when these loans were set up? Provident are supposed to check that the person can afford the loan within their income.

If you have things like this, it will help you to prove irresponsible lending.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

It is not our intention to return back to her house on Monday to meet the agent as we live quite far apart. Will we be able to do everything in writing and set up some sort of way of paying a minimal amount remotely.

We have recovered all the paperwork she has, all of which are just loan agreements, we are unable to find any evidence of any income and expenditure form being completed or any formal requests being signed to authorise any credit search.

Doing everything in writing is most certainly the preferred method, as you need a paper trail of evidence to screw these into the ground!

If you get their email address then you can email them also, which is perfectly acceptable, and I would be jumping all over it today in order to stop this payment on Monday.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks, I have read on many threads on here that a minimum payment of £1 per week or month should be offered, is this correct information or should we be refusing to pay anything until a full investigation is carried out by provident ?

If it matters about your mums credit file then i would go down the irresponsible lending complaint letter route, preferably to be received by them before the next payment is due on monday. Once the account is placed in dispute it should hold them off while they investigate their sad selves.

If you go straight for paying £1 a week they will trash it, which they may do anyway but if you can get your complaint upheld, either by themselves or FCA then any adverse info can be removed by order.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

• 5 months later...

Hello there. What was the outcome of this with provident as I'm in a similar situation with my brother who although up to his eyes in debt has managed to get serveral loans from them which he has no means to repay. His credit file is shot and he has no income.

Hello and Welcome Harbyg,

The thread starter Lucy68 has not been on the forum since the 5th of May, you would be better starting a new thread in the appropriate forum for some advice.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert