Virgin Media Price Hiking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2791 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure where to start with this as it's a bit complicated.

I recently changed banks and there was a mix up with my DD so I ended up on the phone to them to sort it out.

So I was told I was eligible for an upgrade to 50Mbps, which I didn't need really but it involved getting a new router and my old one was maybe starting to fail (not sure) so I went for it anyway.

They told me it would be £25.70 per month, nearly £5 less. They didn't tell me this would tie me to a new 12 month contract or that would be a connection fee.

Anyway, I got the fee waived after complaining that my bill had gone up by about £1 instead of going down. They agreed to compensate me by taking £10 of my next bill so I would be paying the same at least and I accepted.

Then, after not receiving the £10 credit on the subsequent bill and on the bill after that getting charged £36.something (which included a £5 charge for a failed DD payment that they agreed to waive) I called them again.

This time I was less negotiable and demanded that they reduce my bill to £25.70 like I was told in the first place, or else I'll walk and after some bartering they came back and offered me £25.25 per month, and next month is to be about £12!

So that's all good IF they stick to what they told me they were going to charge me!

I'm not happy about being tied to another 12 months though, and I have 14 days to cancel this. The reason I'm not happy about this is because I may at any time over the next year move to an area where there is no coverage and then I will be liable to disconnection charges.

My 1st question is - where do I stand with the 12 month contract thing? Can I dispute this? I've been with them for 5 years, and they also didn't tell me about this when I agreed to upgrade.

If I don't sign the paperwork and send it back will I still be tied to the 12 months contract and they disconnect me?

I'm not sure what my other questions are because I'm still waiting to see if they stick to their side of the deal this time. There are other providers out there offering better deals to new customers so I'm tempted to cancel this within the 14 days they say I have and sign up elsewhere. But the internet has always been pretty reliable and there's no cap on downloads.

I'd jump now, get rid of virgin bledia, they are truly atrocious!

If you're still within the 14 day cancellation/cooling off period then use it, and vote with your feet, go elsewhere, seriously it will save you he hassle later on.

As you have already found out, discussing anything with them over the phone is as much use as indicators on a submarine, they will tell you just what you want to hear in order to get you off the phone, they're not to be trusted at all!.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

It's up to you, I'm with Plusnet, and they're brilliant, SKY IMO would be jumping from the fire pan into the fire, ones to avoid would be, Talk Talk, VM, and Sky, and possibly BT, although Plusnet is a subsidiary of BT, but there customer service is awesome!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I had Sky in one area, moved, and because they couldn't install a dish at my new address, I cancelled the contract my end. If they are unable to provide you with a service then you can cancel the agreement.

if you new place ha a phone line then go with sky

you'll simply fill in the move home section

and its done.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

OK, so are you saying that if I move and Virgin are unable to provide me with a service then I'm within my consumer rights to cancel the agreement?

If so then I'll just stick with what I have now and there's no dilemma in respect of that. I just have to wait and see if I need to call them up again because my bill doesn't reflect what they told me it would be again.

Least said, I'll be looking to get shot of them either way if I decide to move.

If you're looking at getting shot of them in the near future, then there is no point in signing up to a new contract, you'll only cause yourself issues later on.

Just cancel the new agreement within the cooling off period, and go from there.

If I switch to another provider I'm then stuck to a contract with them as well. I have a good deal with them if they stick to it and the service has been reliable. I'd rather not have the hassle of switching if I don't need to.

Do I have the right to cancel the contract if I move and they can provide a service where I move to?

sky.

as long as your intended house has a phone line

you simply use there move service

its free and they pay compo if its not done within a certain time.i think.

they have dome very cheap deals.

i think thers a 12mts free BB deal as long as you take their landline package.

and you can keep you number

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

does virmin serve the new area?

they've got a postcode checker on their site

but if its not a cabled area

sky would be cheaper and better

but if it is cabled by virmin

then i'd stick to vermin.

go do some reasearch.

you'd be liable for a cancellation fee i bet

if you signed up for 12mts with virmin and you cancelled it.

and they

Are Sky reliable then? Virgin, despite the price going up every 6 months and all the rest, the service has been pretty good. Should I go for broadband or fibre? I find Virgin fibre quite reliable.

Perhaps, if I can negotiate a rolling contract as opposed to another 12 months with Virgin I might just stay with them. I might phone them again and explain my predicament and that unless they just upgrade me without forcing me to sign another 12 months I'll have no choice but to switch. I've been with them for 5 years, £30x60= like nearly 2 grand I've already paid them, and I'll be more than happy to return the router if/when I leave.

" Are Sky reliable then? Virgin, despite the price going up every 6 months and all the rest, the service has been pretty good. Should I go for broadband Cable or fibre? I find Virgin fibre quite reliable. "

I think the answer to that is obvious:-)

" Virgin Media's cable service delivered even more. Ofcom tests show that its customers enjoyed at least 90% of their advertised download speeds "

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/cable-vs-fibre

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Well I phoned them up again and explained my situation and that I would have to sign up with Sky unless they removed the 12 month minimum term on the contract, took about half an hour but managed to get them to agree to keep it on a monthly rolling at the reduced price. So all in all I think I ended up with a good deal, I'm happy and they get to keep me as a customer. The service is alright, it doesn't go down very often here. So yeah, problem solved.

OK, so are you saying that if I move and Virgin are unable to provide me with a service then I'm within my consumer rights to cancel the agreement?

My understanding is that would be WITH cancellation fees - which would equate to the total amount of the rest of the periods fees as if you paid to the end anyway.

Someone please correct this if it has changed

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

• 2 weeks later...

If you are just after broadband Virgin is by far the best provider(in terms of the broadband service), as they offer true fibre services, on mainly their own network. All other providers are reliant on BT cabling, with far higher contention(number of houses using same main cable) than Virgin.

I had Virgin from 512kb through to 100mb at previous properties(various automatic upgrades through a very long contract), but unfortunately when moving Virgin could no longer provide. I currently have Sky Fibre(BT infinity), but would go back to Virgin in a flash. Especially as their full packages including TV are far cheaper than Sky, and provide far more options than BT(require decent aeriel signal to get any freeview channels)

Well I phoned them up again and explained my situation and that I would have to sign up with Sky unless they removed the 12 month minimum term on the contract, took about half an hour but managed to get them to agree to keep it on a monthly rolling at the reduced price. So all in all I think I ended up with a good deal, I'm happy and they get to keep me as a customer. The service is alright, it doesn't go down very often here. So yeah, problem solved.

Do you have some sort of confirmation from them, or at least recorded the call?

My experience is of offers which were denied, yet claims of 12 month tie in made at the time of 'no offer' on file was sadly common

Just ensure you have confirmation - if you dont, and they wont -

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

Do you have some sort of confirmation from them, or at least recorded the call?

My experience is of offers which were denied, yet claims of 12 month tie in made at the time of 'no offer' on file was sadly common

Just ensure you have confirmation - if you dont, and they wont -

I record all my calls,

but apparently they said it's illegal to record calls without telling them you are recording them?

I'm really getting sick of this whole thing.

You can't trust anything they tell you on the phone.

The main thing is I haven't signed up to a new 12 month contract.

THEY SAID my next bill in may would be £12.42.

I don't know why but this was after I received an e-bill for £36.68, which was more than they said previously.

I negotiated them down to £25.25, as they told me previously on the phone my bill would go down to £25.70.

I don't know why it they went further and offered me £25.25 and £12.42 for May so I wasn't going to argue.

I have just been billed for £36.68 and not £12.42.

I flipping knew this was going to happen.

I am utterly sick of this company now and unless they refund the difference to make it £12.42

back into my account tomorrow I am changing to Sky!

it is not illegal to record call

end of

and they