Fault possibly stemming from fault under warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bit of background on this issue.

Bought a 11 plate car in Feb 2015 from Bristol Street Motors, had a few issues from purchase which was mainly a problem with the tyre pressure going off but unable to reset it. It went back to Skoda (paid for by Bristol Street) and had an ECU reset. There was another issue with the car revving up when braking which would clear when I pressed the clutch. I told the manager of the service depot in Bristol Street about this ongoing issue and he said he would phone me back to book it back in. He never did. As it was an intermittent issue and didn't want to be back forth yet again, I left it.

Fast forward to now, and my cruise control has stopped working. A common fault on these cars is a clutch switch, which would also explain the revving up when slowing down, according to several posts on Skoda forums.

My question is would I have a claim with Bristol Street, even though they only supplied 3 months warranty. I know I am likely to have to prove that the faults are related and it was likely an underlying issue that was there when sold. I want to go down first and see what they say (likely to **** off I guess) but thought I would ask here first to see what you guys would do and be armed with any relevant info before hand.

Thanks in advance

DY

Yes. Ignore the three months warranty. You are covered under the Sale of Goods Act which means that anything you buy whether it is new or second-hand should be of satisfactory quality and should function in a reasonable way and for a reasonable period of time.

You don't say what you pay for the car but I would have thought that the faults which you are describing should not have occurred through at least three or four years.

Three month warranties are a load of nonsense and they are intended to con consumers who don't know any better into giving up their consumer rights.

You've been here since 2014 so you know better – don't you?

Y

You don't say what you pay for the car but I would have thought that the faults which you are describing should not have occurred through at least three or four years.

It's a 2011 car, so it's already exceeded your life expectancy thoughts, also if as described the engine speed dropped when the clutch was depressed, it would leave me to believe that the clutch switch was working. You can get an engine revving sensation when braking, if you're in a too higher gear and you let the engine revs die back and the anti stall cuts in.

You have had the car over 12 months and I would be very reluctant to suggest you went back to the seller for a repair. You are deemed to have accepted the car now and

after all this time you will have a hard time bringing forth proof that there was a problem with the cruise system at the time of purchase.

SOGA isn't a 6 year guarantee that any problems are the responsibility of the seller.

Well the car is going back to skoda for the emissions fix at some point. I might just wait and ask skoda to fix it as compensation for the emissions scandal. So you guys think I have no claim with Bristol street?

Ask Skoda while you're there, "can you just take a look at the cruise control and tell me why it's not working and how much to fix?" There is always the chance it could be something simple.

Edited by Conniff
correct typo

There's no substitute for getting the ECUs read for codes. On the Skodas that I've driven from that age there's a display on the dash that tells you when you can change gear, I've a feeling that during the change (when the clutch is pressed) the display alters and when the gear is engaged the gear is shown on the display, this would confirm to me that the clutch switch is operating. What can be flakey are the brake light switches, a part which costs less than £20, if the ECU picks up an implausible signal from it, it'll disable the cruise control, even blown/faulty/incorrect bulbs can cause an implausible signal fault.

Well the car is going back to skoda for the emissions fix at some point. I might just wait and ask skoda to fix it as compensation for the emissions scandal. So you guys think I have no claim with Bristol street?

Have they given you any idea of a date when that is likely to be ?

I'd agree With j66 on this.A faulty or intermittently faulty brake light switch would cause the cruise control not to work. As j66 says, best get the codes read and go from there as the switches will trigger a DTC. Bulbs as well.

Volkswagen group will no doubt clamp down on goodwill claims so I wouldn't bank on the emission's faux pass covering any other fix and you're over a year from date of sale with Bristol Street. Think you might have to put your hand in your pocket for this one.

Okay fine, thanks guys. Looks like I've fixed it for now, just pulled and cleaned the fuse. Seems to have been okay since. I've read that the vw group have offered to buy back cars in the USA and also give compensation for others. It will be interesting to see how it goes down in this country once they have done their testing.

Be careful what you read and how it's interpreted. Calibrations for emissions vary from country to country so that whilst it's been publicised that they are going to offer buy backs and compensation in the USA it doesn't follow that this will apply in the EU. The huge sum put aside is primarily to allow for the expected punitive fines imposed by the USA such as experienced by BP.

Further, details of how the buy back and compensation will be applied in the USA have not been published as there are probably a load of legal system to go through. From what I hear in the industry at the moment it will apply only to users who bought and still own the cars from new and or via a VW dealer with a full service history so without this no chance!

I think that is very true. Going on past claims, the yanks will likely put in claims for $millions so buyback will be cheaper.

Although we are fast catching up on this claims debacle, I don't think it will be anywhere near what others will do.

I'm going to wait and see what their fix involves and what impact that will have on the cars performance. That's what VW are trying to figure out now. If for example my fuel economy is going be lower as a result of the fix, then I will not be happy and will expect something to be done as a result.

Well they certainly seem to be dragging it out and it would also seem the regulators are staying very quiet. Perhaps they are hoping that most owners affected will have moved on to a new car so will be taken out of the picture.