• Tweets

• No I have not. I will probably do that
    • Based on ECP's previous, what will definitely happen is this. They will send more idiotic letters. After they will send a Letter of Claim, and it is essential that your brother replies at this point to this to show them he would be big trouble in court. Next it is highly likely (but not certain) that they will crawl back under their stone and that will be the end of the matter. The slight worry is that if they do do court it will seem a likely story to a judge that your brother has no connection to the ticket, when it was him who appealed and replied to the Letter of Claim.  Indeed I think it would seem the lot of you were playing games with ECP and with the court by getting unconnected people involved and then later deny they were involved. So be aware there is that slight risk. You talked about "a mess" in your first post, and you weren't wrong. Someone hires a car and gets a ticket.  There is an appeal.  Who appeals, the hirer?  No, the hirer's mate's son.  Obvious! There is an approach for help to a consumer website.  By the hirer?  No, by the hirer's mate's son's brother! This is so damn silly and totally avoidable. Anyway, it seems the decision has been made for your brother to carry the can so whatever consequences will ensue will ensue. 
    • Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Payday UK/MEM irresponsible lending claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

after recently discovering we could claim back from PDL's,

I recently approached Payday UK for a statement of my account.

It was a general query and they immediately responded and said my complaint had been forwarded to their complaints team and they had 8 weeks to respond. 8 weeks arrived and they said they were still investigating my complaint. Great, hadn't made a complaint yet, was just asking about the default on my credit files and a list of my loans I had taken out with them

After about 10 weeks they sent me a statement. I was actually shocked when I looked back at all the lending!

First loan was taken out in June 2009, and continued till October 2011, when I defaulted and never paid them the outstanding amount of £650. Every month, I either paid off in full, or deferred payment and part paid an amount in "rollover" fees.

They only started checking my credit report in april 2011.

Amounts involved over 28 months:

Amount borrow: £4 625 (including interest)

Interest alone: £2 900

Each month I would either pay the whole amount, and then either reloan the same day, or a few days later as I needed the money to survive the rest of the month. I then also started making the mistake of taking other PDL's out to repay them.

I feel that with minimal checking, they provided me loans for over two years without checking affordability and should have realised that I was reloaning all the time and that I was spiralling downwards.

I took my last loan with them in October 2011 and they defaulted me in July 2012.

I intend to accuse them of irresponsible lending.

What are my next steps? Do I just email them back saying that I feel I was lent money irresponsibly and that I want a refund of the interest? and default removed?

Please advise.

You need to make a formal complaint pointing out that you believe you have been the victim of their irresponsible lending. There are plenty of threads in this forum that will give you ideas on how to do this.

If you have a copies of your credit files then you can point out that they did minimal or no credit checks where they would have established htat you were struggling.

You can point out that even from their own records, they should have realised that you were caught in a cycle of debt with them - borrowing in order to repay the previous loan - borrowing in order to make it to the end of the month because you had repaid the loan in full !

Your letter needs to go to their Head/Registered office and must be marked quite clearly that it is a complaint.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks CitizenB, I have spent a few hours today reading a lot of reclaiming threads.

What I would like to happen:

Reclaim interest I was charged (Do I include 8%?) Do I work this out, or rely on them to come back with an offer before making a decision?

They remove the default and all previous markers on my credit files.

I will update this thread with my experiance.

I will alert fkofilee for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Good Evening UKdomains.

First off welcome to CAG (Says him munching on his dinner :p) lets help get you sorted.

May i please see the full summary of all loans?

Please also answer the following questions;

- Gambling Involved?

- Issues with Other PDL Companies? Spiral Debt with more than one PDL Company?

- How much was your income on a monthly basis compared to the loan? (Were you ever unemployed)

- Did you ever give incorrect info to acquire a loan?

- Rollovers... How many?

Be warned that as you have already sent them an email for a summary etc and their complaints team responded accordingly, it may be seen as a complaint that has been resolved from their end and they may reject a further "Proper" complaint.

8 weeks to supply a summary is **** poor IMHO.

I will be around this weekend, If you can get more info great. Failing that, A SAR Request and £10 will work wonders here - Notes on account etc

We could do with some help from you.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Good Evening UKdomains.

May i please see the full summary of all loans? SEE ATTACHED

Please also answer the following questions;

- Gambling Involved? NO

- Issues with Other PDL Companies? Spiral Debt with more than one PDL Company? JUGGLED ABOUT 3 PDL'S AT THE SAME TIME

- How much was your income on a monthly basis compared to the loan? (Were you ever unemployed) MY TAKE HOME PAY WAS ABOUT £1450/MONTH. SO AT TIMES ABOUT HALF MY SALARY

- Did you ever give incorrect info to acquire a loan? NO

- Rollovers... How many? ERMMMM.... ABOUT 18 IN 28 MONTHS

Hi fkofilee, please see my answers above in red. I've edited the complete loan history they sent me, removed my personal details. I've attached it.

Thanks for looking at this.

MEM Loanbook SOA - redacted.pdf

Oh i see what they did, pay off £100, we give you more, pay that off we give you even more....

This is typical of PDUK.... More questions...

Did you tell them when you hit financial arrears?

Why did you stop paying? Did you pay anything off after the last payment of £25?

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Oh i see what they did, pay off £100, we give you more, pay that off we give you even more....

This is typical of PDUK.... More questions...

Did you tell them when you hit financial arrears?

Why did you stop paying? Did you pay anything off after the last payment of £25?

Actually, those last £25 I didn't make those payments. I think it was interest that they deducted.

Stopped paying as I was juggling too many PDL's, had bailiffs knocking on the door for outstanding council tax, and was just fed up of not being in control of my money. I do not recall ever telling them I had financial problems.

Just out of interest fkofilee (as you seem to know your stuff) what would the situation be if a) gambling was involved and b) if you did use incorrect info to get the loans?

Hi Dale

Read; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=457677&goto=newpost

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Actually, those last £25 I didn't make those payments. I think it was interest that they deducted.

Stopped paying as I was juggling too many PDL's, had bailiffs knocking on the door for outstanding council tax, and was just fed up of not being in control of my money. I do not recall ever telling them I had financial problems.

ok UKD... If you didnt tell them, then it gets harder to claim, if you had discussed your arrears etc with them and they failed to help, this would be a no brainer.

So.... Do you have proof of all the loans taken from all providers and also any proof of council tax arrears with bailiffs?

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

My credit report would have shown at the time loans from wonga and cash genie. Cash genie was removed about a year ago as part of their redress process and small cheque they sent me.

Council tax: I might have some correspondence from them still, but am unsure of that. It was due to tossendales that I became involved with payday loans, but that's off topic and my own bitterness towards them

Council tax doesnt show up on CRAs which is a shame because it would have helped.

Be careful with this one. Could end up blowing up in your face if not done right.

Technically speaking, did PDUK give you a yellow leaflet about the FOS?

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Okay well all I can day is that right now, youll need to place a further complaint with them advising that they havent actually had a complaint off you yet.

What evidence do you have that suggests it is unfair?

Do you have bank statements? Do you have any info on your CRA file? Go to Noddle and Clearscore and find out what they have as you will need to check they did CRA searches etc.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

The first time payday uk is mentioned on my credit report is April 2011. 22 months after I started lending with them.

I have SAR'd Lloyds for my bank statements as they closed my current account due to PDL's clearing my Acc out, going overdrawn as they let some transactions through despite me verbally telling them not to. But that will be another thread soon.

• 2 weeks later...

So a bit of an update on this:

In January I emailed Payday UK asking for more information regarding the default registered on my credit file, as well as a list of all previous loans. They responded and said they had registered my complaint. I hadn't actually laid a complaint, just asked for more information. Then took 10 weeks to email me the statement of account. (Post 6)

Two weeks ago I laid a formal complaint regarding all the irresponsible lending over 28 months.

Today I received a reply from Payday UK saying:

Our records confirm a complaint has been registered reagrding your concerns that you feel your loans were lent to you irresponsibly. This was registered in January 2016 and an acknowledgement letter was sent to you at this time; as 8 weeks have since passed and we have not been able to issue you with a final response letter you are within your rights to refer this matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service should you wish to.

Now bearing in mind that they have not actually looked at/dealt with my complaint, should I:

a. Wait for another 6 weeks so that I know it has been 8 weeks since my complaint.

b. Do as suggested and go straight to FOS

c. Wait for my SAR's to banks for bank statements and THEN go to FOS?

Payday UK have demonstrated that they cannot even respond correctly to an email.

• 4 weeks later...

Well just a quick update on this.

FOS looking at my complaint, I think they are slightly snowed under with complaints.

I emailed all the forms to them and they said they'll get to it in two weeks, which was today. Got a quick email asking for proof I had complained to Payday UK, so I forwarded to them my email sent in January, as well as all the replies from Payday UK where they asked for more time to investigate, and then their additional email saying it's been 8 weeks and they do not have a response yet for me, so I should take it to the FOS.

I expect this to be a long drawn out process.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your comment. How did your case progress? Did you have to go through Ombudsman, or did they accept adjudicator's decision?

How long after FOS decision did it take for them to actually pay you?

I'm trying to guage how long this process will take now, and if it will be more of an uphill battle.

Timeline:

Asked for statements 22nd Aug 2015

Letter received with statements a few days after

Complaint sent 26th Aug 2015

Exactly 56 days later - offer of 20% of my claim, went to FOS

FOS complaint logged same day, acknowledged a week later

Bit of to'ing and fro'ing between PDUK and FOS

Offer of 75% of claim on 9th Jan 2016, accepted

Money received 26th Jan 2016

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update:

Adjudicator sent me a copy letter yesterday which he had sent to Payday UK.

He agrees with my assessment that Payday UK lent to me irresponsibly, and has recommended that they repay me all interest charges, plus 8% interest on these charges, plus remove all their records from my credit files.

He has given them two weeks to respond, and finishes off by saying they are welcome to escalate this to the Ombudsman if they disagree, but he doubts that the decision would be any different.

So now the waiting/negotiating might start. I've worked out the interest and 8% interest is in the region of £2 500, so would be interesting to see what they offer if they do.

• 4 weeks later...

Another update today:

PDUK responded to the adjudicator saying they were offering £800as compensation, minus the £600 I defaulted them, totalling £199 they were willing to give me.

I replied to the adjudicator that I was insulted with that offer, seeing that the 8% interest totalled more than they were offering me. The adjudicator's recommendation was that they repay interest charged plus 8% interest. I worked this out to be currently £2900. Was absolutely peeved off that they were offering approximately 10% of what they were told they should repay back.

Suppose this will go to ombudsman now.

Another update today:

PDUK responded to the adjudicator saying they were offering £800as compensation, minus the £600 I defaulted them, totalling £199 they were willing to give me.

I replied to the adjudicator that I was insulted with that offer, seeing that the 8% interest totalled more than they were offering me. The adjudicator's recommendation was that they repay interest charged plus 8% interest. I worked this out to be currently £2900. Was absolutely peeved off that they were offering approximately 10% of what they were told they should repay back.

Suppose this will go to ombudsman now.

Hi UKD - Sorry its been a while since i checked in with this. Im sorry to see that they shafted you on Compensation. I think the clearing of the debt is actually a fair settlement, although i do beleve that they should write this off and not take it out the amount they were going to pay you.

But add in the fact thats it £200 money for you. But I agree that if the OMB has said to do that, then it might be worth pushing with them to get them to cough up. If the decision is made by the ombudsman and then they STILL Dont cough up, you can go legal if required. As long as the Ombudsman rules.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hiya :)

The adjudicator actually sent me an email on Friday with a letter regarding me rejecting their offer. Interestingly enough, it seems that PDUK disagreed with his findings. His letter states:

"an ombudsman will review your complaint:

Because the business didn’t agree with my recommendations, an ombudsman will review

your complaint and make a final decision."

So it seems that PDUK didn't agree with the adjudicator in the first place about his findings.