5 a side league fees

Roryskingdom
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2987 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody

Looking for some advice. Read a few threads but no answers.

In November me and some friends signed up for a 5a side football league. We signed up online and ticks a box which states:

I accept full responsibility on behalf of my team to fulfil and pay for all fixtures for the season. I accept that once the fixtures have been done I cannot withdraw until a replacement team has been found. I agree to XXXXx's terms and conditions, and agree to abide by the rules of the competition. I am aged 18 or over.

I read the terms and conditions and accepted. On the league advert, they also show two different costs. £30 and £28

Week one, we played and paid the match fee of £30. Was told there was 8 teams in the league.

Week two, we played and again paid the match fee. However the teams had increased now to 10 teams in the league.

we played a further 5 games and missed three fixtures, brining our total of games to 10

Knowing we missed a game, we was aware of the 'double match fee' and was expecting to pay £60. At no point was we asked for this is the following weeks of attending.

We decided that we did not want to continue anymore so got in touch with the league and expressed we would not be able to fulfill fixtures and would be resigning.

Knowing we would owe some money, I had an invoice arrive at my address saying we owed a 'single fee for the first missed fixture' and 'double fee for the second missed fixture' expecting to be charged £90. But in fact it was £108

A week later, I received a second invoice. It makes no reference to the first invoice. Instead now says:

Fail to fulfil fixture- single fee £36

Fail to fulfil fixtures on xxx date and xxx date- double fee £120

Remaining games to end of season- 11@£60 £660

Total owed £816

My queries:

1- there is no date to pay stated, just a 'contact head office immediately'

2- on the league table, my team has played 9 games despite playing 10. So we have 8 remaining. £480 owed

3- when signing up, I joined a league and not a cup, yet we were added in for two weeks of cup fixtures. An extra 2 weeks worth of fees.

4- as described, first week there was 8 teams, second there was 10. In essence, does this technically mean the league have added on an extra 4 games and their fees onto our seasons costs. As when we registered, there was 8

Thanks for any support given

Hi everybody

Looking for some advice. Read a few threads but no answers.

In November me and some friends signed up for a 5a side football league. We signed up online and ticks a box which states:

I accept full responsibility on behalf of my team to fulfil and pay for all fixtures for the season. I accept that once the fixtures have been done I cannot withdraw until a replacement team has been found. I agree to XXXXx's terms and conditions, and agree to abide by the rules of the competition. I am aged 18 or over.

I read the terms and conditions and accepted. On the league advert, they also show two different costs. £30 and £28

Week one, we played and paid the match fee of £30. Was told there was 8 teams in the league.

Week two, we played and again paid the match fee. However the teams had increased now to 10 teams in the league.

we played a further 5 games and missed three fixtures, brining our total of games to 10

Knowing we missed a game, we was aware of the 'double match fee' and was expecting to pay £60. At no point was we asked for this is the following weeks of attending.

We decided that we did not want to continue anymore so got in touch with the league and expressed we would not be able to fulfill fixtures and would be resigning.

Knowing we would owe some money, I had an invoice arrive at my address saying we owed a 'single fee for the first missed fixture' and 'double fee for the second missed fixture' expecting to be charged £90. But in fact it was £108

A week later, I received a second invoice. It makes no reference to the first invoice. Instead now says:

Fail to fulfil fixture- single fee £36

Fail to fulfil fixtures on xxx date and xxx date- double fee £120

Remaining games to end of season- 11@£60 £660

Total owed £816

My queries:

1- there is no date to pay stated, just a 'contact head office immediately'

2- on the league table, my team has played 9 games despite playing 10. So we have 8 remaining. £480 owed

3- when signing up, I joined a league and not a cup, yet we were added in for two weeks of cup fixtures. An extra 2 weeks worth of fees.

4- as described, first week there was 8 teams, second there was 10. In essence, does this technically mean the league have added on an extra 4 games and their fees onto our seasons costs. As when we registered, there was 8

Thanks for any support given

I'm looking to take a 5 a side into to tournaments but don't think i'll bother now

We've had a few threads about this kind of thing -

I'll try and find them

Andrew1402, if you can guarantee on players it's fun. Just it's not fantastic when things go wrong! Then obviously the league organisers react as described.

Bankfodder, thanks. I've gone through all of them but none seem to show a resolution.

generally the terms and penalties applied are unenforceable and the best that the league can hope to recover is their costs so even £30 is not a reflection of those costs as it includes a profit margin. Any charges for something you didnt sign up for are again unenforceable so no cup fees due.

Work out what you think you owe and send that with a breakdown of what you ahve paid as well and say that you offer £xx as settlement for any sum that me be contractually due. If they refuse that offer then they will have to sue you for more and they will lose at court of they are just flying a kite.. Your offer makes it clear you have attempted to settle

Thread moved to Gym Forum.

The cases linked above may not show conclusions but they're relatively recent.

The case DO show that court action is not taken, despite being threatened. Maybe the game organisers know court action would fail or maybe they just do nothing if teams don't pay up when threatened.

They're certainly quick to halve the demands when they realise teams are not going to pay up readily. Would they do this if they knew their demands were valid and lawful ??

I suspect they'll give up once they realise you're willing to ignore or challenge them.

I'd ignore the demands and see what they do next.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)