Travel Insurance Claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6373 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Was on holiday in Fuerteventura in July and had to be hospitalised (suspected heart attack). Was taken to the health centre in Corralejo by ambulance and then transferred to main hospital in P.De La Rosario again by ambulance. At every stage of this saga I offered details of my travel insurance and was told that it was not required and they only wanted my passport and EHIC.

Turned out not to be a heart attack, thank god, and continued with my holiday.

Shortly after arriving home received a bill from the ambulance company for 82euros which I was just going to pay but as it was all in Spanish did not know how to. This was the only bill I have received.

Contacted Claims International who act for the ins company and was advised to send the bill to them and they would sort it out.

A short time later received letter from Claims International asking for my £75 excess. I telephoned them to tell them that under the terms of my policy the excess did not apply as "I had used the EHIC to cover or reduce the costs of my treatment". They then told me that Spain and its Islands does not accept the EHIC. If this is the case then I should have received bills from the hospital sent to me personally as the Insurance Co were never involved. After several calls talking to robots reading stuff from a card I am no further on.

Phoned Department of Health and they told me Claims Int were talking nonsense and EHIC is accepted, got this in writing and sent a copy along with a long nasty letter to Claims Int. Am awaiting a reply but expect they will not back down.

Anyone any ideas on where to go from here, it is not for the £75 as it would have been cheaper to pay the Ambulance bill myself but am fed up with Ins Companies constantly trying to wriggle out.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Mike.

Have tried to contact ins company as yet to no avail. As far as I can ascertain they are based in Switzerland. Trying to get info from Claims International is extremely difficult as they are rude and unhelpful on the phone and the Claims Advisor who is dealing with my correspondence is a real R2D2. Will try the Travel Agents who I booked the holiday with.

Thanks Mike.