style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Regarding the fact that the "edit post" facility has apparently been changed so it is only available for 10 minutes after posting, not 24 hours.

From http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?459296-Freedom-of-Information-Act-being-abused-with-vexatious-FOI-requests.&p=4853996

The edit facility has been changed to stop some posters changing their posts on the request of other posters. This is a great idea and welcomed... Now all edits have to be within this time frame or on another post. So not only will this stop straight away it means you have to think what you write before you post therefore making you look before you hit Post Quick Reply. .... Well done admin!!!!

To avoid spelling errors you may want to preview you post before hitting the button by hitting the preview post one instead. I have been for some time but still make the odd error but hope it goes un-noticed..

Downsides of this:

CAG'ers on smartphones may not have the "preview post" option.

It may well be available on the "full site" rather than "mobile view" options, but in that case, if forcing people towards using the non-mobile option ; why have the mobile view?

The problem for people (especially on mobile devices) is that they may post, and have something happen in real life so they can't go back and check their post within the next 10 minutes, loosing the ability to change typos and incorrect "autocorrect substitutions". Sometimes, even despite proofreading, errors aren't spotted until the post has been posted.....

Does it matter if an OP alters their post?

I doubt it does, if no one else has replied.

If someone has replied : why not "solve the problem" by encouraging people replying to reply with quote (the default on my smartphone). The quoted section won't change even if the OP changes their original post, and provides not only a record of the original post, but context for the reply, too.

I think the "baby has been thrown out with the bath water" here, for the reasons I've stated.

Suggestions one should "preview you post" before posting show just how easy it is for typos to slip through, even with previewing.

I suggest other solutions (as stated) are better, or even a shorter "lock period" than 24 hours, but nowhere as brief as 10 minutes.

With all due respect to MM, I have to say I would have expected some kind of notification by one of the site team on this, just as a matter of courtesy you know.

Apologies if they have but i missed it of course.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I suggest other solutions (as stated) are better, or even a shorter "lock period" than 24 hours, but nowhere as brief as 10 minutes.

I heartily agree with you. I was just editing a post now and found the new rule bizarre. If the logic for this change was that some posters were being pressured or harassed into changing their posts by other posters, then the solution must surely have been to clamp down on those engaged in such activities in the first place right? I am sure that much more harm than good will come from this and it is very shortsighted. Someone might have posted something that they really didn't want to post and not immediately realised. I don't think that they would feel best pleased seeing the 'please contact admin' message when they tried to remedy the situation.

I thought that 24 hours was very reasonable. However, if the shorter lock period is to remain in place, then I would suggest setting it at 12 hours is much more wise, with 4 hours as an absolute minimum. Still, anything would be better than 10 minutes... :-o

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

I have had an idea. Can in not be the case that individual forum members could simply 'opt out' of this new time limit, if they chose to do so? I don't know how the forum software works, but assume it shouldn't be a problem. I am big enough and ugly enough to not feel pressured into editing my posts by other forum members. :lol:

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well, "thems the rules"

Accept them, or post elsewhere.

Yet, either this is a recent change to the rules or wasn't enforced previously - so either way it is a recent change in implemented policy.

CAG'ers should be able to highlight the upside and downside of such a policy (if done within site rules, so calmly & respectfully), surely?

"That's the way it is, suck it up" is a valid response, but doesn't tell CAG'ers if there had been a reasoned debate.

"The site team did consider those points, but reached a reasoned decision to set the limit to 10 minutes, and this is reflected in the new rule 3.3" might be more "user friendly" without revealing the details of the site team's 'behind the scenes' deliberations?

I think the main reason is that people who were found to be mistaken in an argument were going back and altering the disputed post and thereby making a nonsense of any debate thereafter.

Although I stand to be corrected on this.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Well, "thems the rules"

Accept them, or post elsewhere.

Yet, either this is a recent change to the rules or wasn't enforced previously - so either way it is a recent change in implemented policy.

CAG'ers should be able to highlight the upside and downside of such a policy (if done within site rules, so calmly & respectfully), surely?

"That's the way it is, suck it up" is a valid response, but doesn't tell CAG'ers if there had been a reasoned debate.

"The site team did consider those points, but reached a reasoned decision to set the limit to 10 minutes, and this is reflected in the new rule 3.3" might be more "user friendly" without revealing the details of the site team's 'behind the scenes' deliberations?

I was just pointing to the rule in question - I am quite saddened that you would even suggest that my attitude is one of "suck it up" But heyho, everyone entitled to an opinion, yes :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I was just pointing to the rule in question - I am quite saddened that you would even suggest that my attitude is one of "suck it up" But heyho, everyone entitled to an opinion, yes :)

All the same to mee CB i dont correct my spelling in any case, you may have noticed :wink:

All the same to mee CB i dont correct my spelling in any case, you may have noticed :wink:

Only way we have of knowing you are not an imposter, DB ?

BCOBS

I think the main reason is that people who were found to be mistaken in an argument were going back and altering the disputed post and thereby making a nonsense of any debate thereafter.

Although I stand to be corrected on this.

Easy solution : quote the post being replied to.

Provides context, and can be used to show what was originally posted by the OP.