• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclaycard. PPI and "linked cards"?***Successful Claim***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2128 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I filled Barclaycards online PPI claim form in regarding an Egg card paid off a couple of years ago.

One week later (yesterday) I receive a letter from them acknowledging my claim form

and outlining what will now happen.

They say they will contact me by 10th March with an update

and have also sent a form for me to send back submitting my bank details for any repayment of PPI.

So not bad from them!

However, I only asked them to research the Egg card

but in the letter they say they have found two further card numbers "linked" to the Egg card

and will investigate them too.

Im not sure what this means.

I had other credit cards around that time but they were separate cards from other card providers.

They were not "linked" to the Egg card in any way.

Could it simply be that they are now responsible for other cards

I may have had by way of buying other companies as they did with Egg?

Thanks all.

Well hats off to Barclays! Its only been 11 days from making the above online application to getting a result! Not a massive amount but better than nothing. Apparently I only had the CRP policy on my card for four months and getting a refund of £184.42. which is made up of -

A. Refund of PPI payments £29.94

B. Refund of interest charged on PPI premiums £124.24

C. 8% interest as statutory compensation ( including an extra 45 days to cover them up to the time of payment) £37.79

D. Income Tax deduction from the 8% interest £7.55.

Thats set me off now, think Ill just apply to every financial institution in the country - you never know!

That's a good result merlin, did they ever explain what the other two 'linked' cards were.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi maroondevo52, no they havent. I did wonder about that.

Maybe I should amend the SAR Ive just sent to Citifinancial and send it to them.

Bit caught up with Citi at the moment.

Ive given them 14 days to acknowledge my reclaim letter to them and they havent replied.

It should have been straight forward for them as they have just refunded the ex wife over £6k

for the time she was joint-mortgagee with me.

I even sent them a copy of the letter she received.

Bit suspicious of them though because I do not remember any lump-sum payments going to anyone either

when I first took the mortgage out or when I remortgaged to buy her out.

Maybe Ive been paying this insurance monthly and its still running?

If so, then Ive got quite a lump to come back.

SAR has gone this morning so Ill sit back and wait for an acknowledgement letter.

• 2 weeks later...
:thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Another update guys,

Ive had a response from citifinancial regarding the claim.

Now remember that the ex wife got £6190.xx.

Ive been offered £1705.xx.

However, this claim relates to three separate accounts, a six-digit account and two very long-numbered accounts.

This offer only relates to the two long-numbered accounts.

There is a reference to the six-digit account number by way of a short paragraph but its so badly written that I cannot understand what they are saying.

Ill type it out now EXACTLY as it is written and hope that you guys might be able to fathom it out -

"Upon reviewing the details in your correspondence for the account 33xxxx

we have established that joint account holder already have an existing complaint regarding this issue registered with us.

Our reference number for this is COM/258xxx/2015 and a final response was sent to your joint account holder dated 13 August 2015"

That is exactly how its written.

Now this could be telling me to get lost,

it could be telling me that its maybe a different account and therefore being dealt with by a different department

- I just dont know.

I rang the FOS out of interest.

They have said that as the award letter to my ex wife specifically states that the £6k is half the awarded amount, then I should be entitled to at least the same and they wanted me to raise an official complaint with them.

I asked them for help first in contacting Citifinancial and they gave me an email address ([email protected]).

I just need to establish if they are refusing to pay out on the six-digit numbered account or whether its an ongoing complaint and I will hear something in due course..

What do you think guys?

Hi,

I'd tend to agree with the FOS in that if they have stated the £6k they awarded to your ex wife was half the amount due on the 6 didgit account then surely you should be due the same.

I'd give them a phone and ask them to clarify.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi maroondevo52, thanks for the reply.

Looks like I will give the FOS a ring.

They wanted me to raise a complaint with them on the phone but I declined initially saying that because of the way that paragraph was worded, I wasnt sure yet if Id got a complaint.

if you try to raise a complaint with them online,

the eight-weeks dispute rule stops you from filling the forms in,

so Ill ring them now and see what they say.

Thanks and Ill update.

Well it gets better!

I emailed Citi asking why I had not been refunded on the six-digit account.

Today I have received a letter through the post.

Now remember what they said in the letter to my ex regarding her only receiving half the award and that the other half was being held until such time that the second account holder (me) should also apply for a refund?

This letter states quite clearly that the refund on the six-digit account has been refunded to her in full and that I should now take this up with her. It also states that this is their final response on this matter.

This to me seems grossly unfair.

Seeing as they have stated that this is their final response,

I can see the only way forward now is through the FOS.

Any thoughts anyone?

Hi merlin,

I'll see if I can get you some advice on this one.

When you have PPI on a joint account there is generally a "first named" who was first named on the policy and the account ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi guys.

Well I've been in touch with the FOS.

They can't help as they will only deal with the mis selling side of ppi

and not the administration of refunds.

They did however agree that it looks very much like Citi have screwed up

and are now trying to pass the buck to me regarding sorting it out.

They suggest a strongly worded letter of complaint along the lines of gross unfairness

and hope that Citi relent and refund me.

Can't see that happening

I'm going to sar them and see if that reveals any further ammunition to use against them.

The FOS however did say that to refund my ex the full amount of the joint claim,

Citi would have first have had to have the agreement, and signed confirmation of the second account holder (me). They certainly haven't got that.

I wonder, has anyone else gone through this and if so, how did you proceed?

And citizen, when these accounts were taken out,

I was the only one working so I would imagine I would be the possible principal account holder, but like I said, I'm going to sar and sit back and wait

And sorry, I've been busy today so will scan the letters up in the morning

Yes, send a SAR - there might be a copy of the paperwork where the funds were sent to your wife - it would be interesting to see how they got round the 2nd signature !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well it seems that my situation is quite unique.

I've spent two days searching for any relevant rules and/or regulations that may govern an unequal refund of ppi between joint applicants. There is nothing.

What I have discovered though is that banks and other financial institutions frequently insist on one applicant obtaining the signature of the other applicant before they will consider a refund.

Common consensus seems to suggest that this demand is used more as a stalling tactic rather than a legal requirement.

But having said that, I can find nothing that states categorically that the second signature IS a legal requirement.

I'll keep searching an update.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

well I now have a cheque in my possession for £1706 so that was an easy result!!

Still working on the six-digit account but there seems to be no information anywhere on how to proceed or complain when a joint PPI award has been refunded to one applicant only.

Ive read many many pages on how the banks insist on the signature of BOTH applicants before they will either refund in part, or in full to the other applicant.

Citi certainly havent got my consent on that one!

Ill sit back and wait for the results of the SAR.

Maybe that will reveal something?

Hi all, well I now have a cheque in my possession for £1706

:thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, another update.

Haven't had my SAR replied to yet by Citi, but at the same time I sent a complaint, along with copies of the documents I have, to the FOS.

Got a phone call from them yesterday just wanting a few things explained and they are taking my case on.

The guy who called me seemed to think That it would be quite simple to get them to refund me on the account they refunded in full, and in error, to my ex wife. I

'll update as it progresses.

Sounds promising merlin, let us know when you find out more :)

• 1 year later...

Well heres an unexpected update guys.

Just over a year ago I received a refund of £184 from Barclaycard regarding PPI on an old Egg account.

This morning a letter from them dropped through my door with an attached cheque for £1084.00 along with an apology for miscalculating in the first place!

Thats certainly brightened my day up!

Yaay !!

Sounds like a great result but have you been told exactly how or why this refund has been calculated.

Is CAG gonna get any donation please :wink:

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Did you hear anything more from Citi in respect of the monies they paid out to your ex ?

Have a read of the thread linked below...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?476715-Divorced-women-robbed-of-PPI-pay-outs-to-be-compensated-by-RBS-and-Nat-West

I would think this applies to you !

BCOBS