Help needed with levy signed under mental distress

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi my first post so please excuse any mistakes.

Yesterday I was woken up at 6.45am by two burly bailiffs from swift stood in my hallway, they had let themselves in via an unlocked door. The debt is for council tax I owe £184. I asked them to leave as I suffer poor mental health and got upset very quickly. They asked to see my medication but I was so flustered I couldn't find it. I told them I suffer badly with anxiety and paranoia and couldn't cope with them being there I quickly became anxious and stated behaving quite manically throwing DVDs at them etc.

Probably sounds an over reaction but I seriously couldn't cope. The one then started writing out a levy of goods which included my sons TV my landlords sofa a broken computer and the DVDs I launched at them. I was led to believe that the only way I'd get rid of them was to sign and as my children were waking up I did under duress to get them to leave. They informed me they would return today at midday to collect payment in full which I told them numerous times I don't have the money.

I then filed a complaint with swift which for now has suspended any further action but I know this is only short term. I'm not disputing the debt not trying to not pay.

Where do I go from here? I now feel unsafe in my own home I haven't stopped crying I feel violated that my pleas for my mental health were ignored and I'm angry I signed the levy under intense distress.

I'm a single mum with 3 dependents receiving ESA and awaiting assessment for pip.

Thanks in advance

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Your debt will now have increased significantly. Contact your LA with proof of your condition. If you send it by post it may get lost. I would recommend going to the offices of your LA and have them scan the documents in to their system. I suggest you get a stamped receipt for this and kep it safe.

Then make a formal complaint as to the EA negligence. Then contact your MP for more help.

The fact you threw stuff at the EA is assault. Please refrain from this in the future as it will cause you many issues.

As you are on benefits? If so you can ask your LA to take a small amount from it to pay the debt off. If you fail to do any of this it will make the situation even worse.

The fact you signed the agreement they can now get entry by force if necessary. Please contact yor LA asap. If you ring them ease record this call and get their response in writing too.

Finally if you happen to get awarded Pip then again take your award letter to your LA.

Finally have you made any application for the Severe Mental Impairment payment? If not do so straight away as you maybe able to have the claim backdated to the start of the year. This would then possibly wipe out the debt.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Thread moved to correct forum - this is purely an administrative move.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Also mention to the council that the goods "Taken into Control" would not cover a fraction of the debt now at least £489 with the fees, if removed and sold, also mention in any complaint they listed third party goods as in LL's sofa

Does your Tenancy Agreement say Furnished or Part Furnished, and is there an Inventory of the LL's property? if so copies of them to council also.

Could you post up a complete list of what is under control?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Hi my first post so please excuse any mistakes.

Yesterday I was woken up at 6.45am by two burly bailiffs from swift stood in my hallway, they had let themselves in via an unlocked door. The debt is for council tax I owe £184. I asked them to leave as I suffer poor mental health and got upset very quickly. They asked to see my medication but I was so flustered I couldn't find it. I told them I suffer badly with anxiety and paranoia and couldn't cope with them being there I quickly became anxious and stated behaving quite manically throwing DVDs at them etc.

I then filed a complaint with swift which for now has suspended any further action but I know this is only short term. I'm not disputing the debt not trying to not pay.

Where do I go from here? I now feel unsafe in my own home I haven't stopped crying I feel violated that my pleas for my mental health were ignored and I'm angry I signed the levy under intense distress.

I'm a single mum with 3 dependents receiving ESA and awaiting assessment for pip.

I am pleased to hear that Swift have put the account on hold whilst considering your complaint.

First things first.....please ensure that you LOCK your door. Whether it was unlocked during the night I do not know (but it was unlocked at 6.45 am when the enforcement agent visited).

The debt to the council stood at £184. Before getting to the very late stage of a personal visit from the bailiff you should have received a Notice of Enforcement from Swift to advise you that they have been instructed to enforce the debt. This letter would have included a Compliance fee of £75. The letter is of vital importance given that it provides a period of time (known as the 'Compliance stage' ) for you to outline a payment proposal. During the compliance stage any 'vulnerability' should also be brought to the council's attention.

Did you contact Swift (or the council) on receipt of this letter?

Not sure if this still works but it would be helpful if you still have the letter from Swift that told they were now handling your Council tax. This is called the Compliance letter and gives you seven days to contact them. The seven days start from the day you received the letter. Can you remember when it arrived? Also what was the

date on the letter. Just as we have to comply with the Law, so do Swift so they have to adhere to not visiting until 7 clear days [NOT 7 days but 7 clear days] have

elapsed after receipt of the letter.