Car giant - service book tampered

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a car from Car giant four days ago. On the way to home I noticed a knocking kind of noise from the engine. I believed it's a minor problem but I immediately booked an appointment with a SEAT service center for an inspection. They confirmed engine sound was due to lack of service and it will take 5-8 hrs to strip the engine and find the problem. They said most probably new engine may required. They also showed me next service due to date and mileage on the service book had been tampered. Actually I didn't noticed or believed that it had altered at the time of purchase. Next service date altered to 07-06-2016 from 07-06-2015. We can see this clearly, it has been altered by pen. No service been carried out in 2015. Had I seen there was a missed service I wouldn't have bought the car. Now due to this lack of service, engine appear to have damaged. Only one service been done from new (06-2012).

I called to Cargiant today to return the car for a full refund. They said they want to inspect the car and fix the fault. Recovery has been booked. I told them I was sold the car with tampered service book hence I need the full refund of the car regardless of type of the engine fault. They said they cannot take the responsibility of the tampered service book because that's how they received it from the previous car owner. I believe this so un-fare to sell a car like this. I'm wondering what are my rights in this case.

Can I request for a full refund just based on tampered service log book ?

Thanks for your advise in advance

Yes, you can.

They're supposed to be the experts and they sold you a car with a doctored document.

Service books maybe not legal documents, but they make a huge difference in car prices.

Also, like you said, many customers would not buy a car that has been serviced only once in 4 years and had a tampered service book.

If someone has messed about with the service book once, what's stopping them doing it for every service?

So maybe the car was never serviced.

Regardless of this tampered book, you are entitled to a full refund because the car is not fit for purpose.

You bought a 4 year old car and now they want to give you a 4 year old car with a "fixed" engine.

Refuse the repair and get your money back.

If you've paid by card you can ask the bank for a section 75 refund or chargeback, accordingly to what type of card you used.

If the car is financed, the finance company owns the car, so I think it's their problem.

I'm not familiar with finance, so other more knowledgeable caggers will tell you how it works.

One piece of advice: Do not keep the car for whatever reason.

Stripping an engine, repair it and put it back together is a job that very few people can do and even main dealers struggle to get the engine run as intended after a strip down.

Yes, you can.

They're supposed to be the experts and they sold you a car with a doctored document.

Service books maybe not legal documents, but they make a huge difference in car prices.

Also, like you said, many customers would not buy a car that has been serviced only once in 4 years and had a tampered service book.

If someone has messed about with the service book once, what's stopping them doing it for every service?

So maybe the car was never serviced.

Regardless of this tampered book, you are entitled to a full refund because the car is not fit for purpose.

You bought a 4 year old car and now they want to give you a 4 year old car with a "fixed" engine.

Refuse the repair and get your money back.

If you've paid by card you can ask the bank for a section 75 refund or chargeback, accordingly to what type of card you used.

If the car is financed, the finance company owns the car, so I think it's their problem.

I'm not familiar with finance, so other more knowledgeable caggers will tell you how it works.

One piece of advice: Do not keep the car for whatever reason.

Stripping an engine, repair it and put it back together is a job that very few people can do and even main dealers struggle to get the engine run as intended after a strip down.

Thanks kings12345 for the advice. I paid by debit card so I believe chances are recovering from bank is less. They don't accept credit cards. Today cargiant recovery team picked the car. I'm waiting for their response. My intention is to return the car anyway. I also heard from friends, once the engine is stripped and repair done, this will impact the car's value.

As you paid with a debit card, if they mess about with you, you could apply for a chargeback.

Plenty of information on cag and other websites.

It's not just a matter of value, a stripped engine will give you trouble in 99% of cases in my experience.

Engines are assembled in factories using industrial tools calibrated to almost perfection.

No mechanic could ever reproduce that finish.

I know a very good mechanic who regularly strips engines and repairs them and despite having an above average success rate, he always says that there's always a chance that the engine will give trouble.

Thanks for the information. I kept saying to cargiant refund me the car price. But they say if it is only a major fault I have the option to request for a refund. otherwise they fix it and I have to accept it. Tomorrow they are going to tell me about the outcome of the repaire. I have no intention to accept it.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/20/enacted

Do your rejection by letter, you can hand the letter in.

Exactly.

You don't have to accept anything that was sold faulty.

Especially with a tampered service book.

They have no leg to stand on.

One thing I would say is to get proof of postage and email of your rejection.

Car giant may claim that you never rejected the car otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kings12345 for your valuable advice on this matter. I did the rejection by email as per your advice. Today morning I called Cargiant for an update and an agent told me they have replaced the car with new parts but even after this knocking sound is still there. They had referred the car to SEAT to find the reason for engine knocking sound. Straightaway I said I want to speak to senior manager to get the refund but was not available.

Cargiant called me just before and agreed to do a full refund. I'm very pleased with this.

I thank kings12345 and conniff's for their valuable advice.