DWF Solicitors claiming i owe £150 in security costs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This has just happened to me! Diid you pay DWF? im terrified. the police believed me that it was a genuine mistake so why am I receiving these scary letters from DWf.

I didnt even leave the shop but CAB have told me I should pay the £150-seems ridiculous for a letter saying 'amount of goods taken- £0, amount of damage - £0 and security costs £150

Please help me I am not sleeping and do not want to go to court!

After a self-scanning mistake (£3 vegetables unpaid on a £20 shop) the police were called and believed me that it was a mistake.

There was no mention of RLP to pay but now sainsburys have banned me from their stores for life (a joke!?) and DWF are sending me letters asking for £150 or they will take me to court.

I am terrified and not sleeping. The letter seems ridiculous as I didnt even leave the shop with any 'stolen' goods- the security stopped me before the exit doors. The police also didnt fine me or caution me, just wrote me a stop and search note.

Can DWF claim this money? I cannot have a criminal record and do not want to go to court for a self-scanning error. I will never use the self-scanning tills again and feel badly treated by sainsburys.

DWF are real solicitors so can they legally ask for these costs? Surely sainsburys didnt lose any money on my behalf or have to pay the security guards extra to rudely interrogate me.

Also surely the supermarket has no right to retain my details or pass them on?

Please help put my mind at rest. thanks

I spoke to a woman from CAB and she told me I should pay the money to DWF as they are real solicitors and Sainsburys is a big organisation I dont want to get in trouble with...

the letter says the burden of proof is lower in civil courts and they can demand civil recovery losses- but I didnt cause them any losses??.. i do not want to go to court but have had two letters demanding payment

a lot of companies use solicitor for hire, i.e. they pay a firm to use a threatogram in the hope of the person pays up, read so many threads on these sites and they will tell you the same thing, read their letter and report back does it say MAY this May that?

CAB nearly cost me a lot of money with false information in the past, good job I did not panic at the time, as the other party had to pay me in the end.

Help is on its way to this thread so look out for responses.

the letter says the burden of proof is lower in civil courts and they can demand civil recovery losses- but I didnt cause them any losses??.. i do not want to go to court but have had two letters demanding payment

Exactly

we call them speculative invoices from them in the hope you panic.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

What terrible reasoning by CAB.

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

After a self-scanning mistake (£3 vegetables unpaid on a £20 shop) the police were called and believed me that it was a mistake.

The police also didnt fine me or caution me, just wrote me a stop and search note.

Can DWF claim this money? I cannot have a criminal record and do not want to go to court for a self-scanning error.

The police did nothing. You will not get a criminal conviction over this.

If the supermarkets want the customer to use self-scan checkouts rather than paying for trained staff, they must expect mistakes to happen. If I am required to use these contraptions, then I expect to be paid for my time.

Should DWF ever issue a civil claim (highly unlikely), inform them that you will put in a counter claim for time spent substituting for shop staff.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

totally ignore DWF they can do nothing.

forget it

you made an honest mistake

now go get on with your life.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ignore CAB, very very bad advice, again!

If the Police took no action, then there has been no crime committed.

And only a court can fine you, and for that to happen, the Police would have reported you for the criminal offence of theft, they didn't, and DWF are simply exploiting your lack of knowledge and are hoping you will give them the money simply because you don't know any better.

Can you scan and post up the letters you have received? Remove ALL identifiers, follow the instructions to upload

DO NOT PAY anything.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi

Since the CAB 'Uncivil Recovery' article posted many years ago, they have taken the stance of accepting the easiest option. Get rid of the complainant!

It was CAB that got involved in the 2012 case where a retailer got spanked so why have they changed tack?

DWF act for Sainsbury's in allegations of shoplifting and are as powerful as RLP in this matter. NONE!

One thing, ANY store can ban a person for any (or no) reason whatsoever. Why the police were called is ridiculous for such a small amount. Another question that comes to me. How come the self scan didn't notice that something was in the bagging area when it hadn't been scanned?

I would be fuming with Sainsbury's and complaining most strongly. How their security can say it WAS shoplifting when it was a mis scan is beyond me.

As for DWF, ignore as they are acting for Sainsbury's and can take no action. Sainsbury's have to instigate the action and then could instruct DWF to litigate but I feel they won't as they will have a hard job justifying the £150 security costs when the store security staff are already paid to do the job.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi

Since the CAB 'Uncivil Recovery' article posted many years ago, they have taken the stance of accepting the easiest option. Get rid of the complainant!

It was CAB that got involved in the 2012 case where a retailer got spanked so why have they changed tack?

I don't think they've changed tack.

I suspect that this type of bad advice is down to some of the individuals who volunteer at CAB getting it wrong. Unhelpful and doesn't reflect well on CAB, but given the pressure on CAB, and the range of subjects they give advice on, I'm not surprised that they don't always get things right.

last time I was given advice by CAB was in a small room with 3 of us in it i.e. I was sat on a toilet seat,

the advisor was leaning against the window ledge, and my O.H. leaning on the door hoping nobody moved as we would get squatted,

by the way the advice was from an ex Lloyds Bank Manager for which I ignored

as it turned out to be Bias towards the banks etc

and did the opposite and won.

he did apologize for lack of space in the building lol lol

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

If you want to play letter tennis then invite RLP to take you to court where you will call the police officer as a witness to the fact that no crime had been committed

so there is no cause of action for them or anyone else

I would be complaining to the CEO of sainsburys about this as well for the store passing on your details to a bunch of crooks

when it had been found that you were innocent of any of the allegations made by his staff

ad you expect not only a correction of the data held by Sainsburys and their agent

s but a proper apology as well before it becomes public knowledge that Sainsburys

are vindictive liars and treat their customers with utter contempt..

Hi goldteeth

I'm a self scan operator, now I'm not accusing you of any wrong doing, but want to find out what happened to cause this

So these items, £3 of vegetables, I assume they were pre packed and had a barcode which you would have scanned; now if you have thought you have scanned the vegetables, and placed them in the bagging area

From my knowledge this would have brought up an alert, which has to be corrected by the operator, someone like my self. First thing we establish what was the last item the customer had scanned, we then check if its in the bagging area, if this is not the case. Were expected to look at what is in your bag, and what is listed on the screen, and find the item which possibly hasn't been scanned

If the operator hasn't done there job properly, so for instance, you have place the bag of veg in the bagging area, and it comes up as an alert, and the operator just clears it and walks away; and you go to pay and once you walk out the shop get stop and accused of theft, and based on this I would say, the problem occurred because of the operator, and maybe an over zealous security guard

If the operator hasn't done there job properly, so for instance, you have place the bag of veg in the bagging area, and it comes up as an alert, and the operator just clears it and walks away[/Quote]

This seems to be the most common reaction to an alert in my experience!

Having said that, you would have to be extremely unfortunate that a guard happened to be watching the self-serve CCTV at the same time as a mis-scan occurred. Are you sure that nothing else happened during your visit which might have caused the guard to be watching?

Definitely ignore DWF. There is nothing they can do. As for the ban, they are within their rights and do not have to justify their reasons, however you could do as suggested, and make a fuss with Sainsbury's HO about this.

Keep in touch and let us know what happens next

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi goldteeth

So these items, £3 of vegetables, I assume they were pre packed and had a barcode which you would have scanned; now if you have thought you have scanned the vegetables, and placed them in the bagging area

From my knowledge this would have brought up an alert, which has to be corrected by the operator, someone like my self. First thing we establish what was the last item the customer had scanned, we then check if its in the bagging area, if this is not the case. Were expected to look at what is in your bag, and what is listed on the screen, and find the item which possibly hasn't been scanned

I mentioned this exact thing in my post above. I suspect a jobsworth security guard exercising very poor judgement. A complaint in the strongest words is the only option.

If this had happened to me, I would engage in letter tennis with DWF as I would quite enjoying ripping them a new one. Futile but fun.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hell imagine if this made the local paper

Im sure it would encourage more people to use self scan......NOt

Maybe point that out to the CEOs office

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.