• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Clarity are calling me after I sent them CCA - citi credit card debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2983 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Credit card- Citi with Cabot Financial Europe.

I am paying to Clarity (online payment via their website) which I guess has been employed by Cabot to take the payments of £1 since 2013.

Noddle is updated by Cabot on regular basis showing –£1 each month.

Information on Noddle:

Account start date 07/2007,

opening balance £1436,

default balance £1436

,date of default 06/2010.

Between 2010 and 2013 I was paying more than £1 a month so the current balance is down to around £590.

The last letter I have received from them is a confirmation of arrangement for £1 a month with Clarity.

I called Citi years ago to ask them for more information regarding the debt and about Clarity.

They could not find anything in my name with their bank and explained they do not have credit card department anymore

as they no longer offer any credit cards and as far as they are aware I don’t owe them anything.

They could not give me any information about PPI either..

.They never wrote to me to explain that they ‘sold’ my debt as far as I remember.

I sent them CCA request as advised by the helpful people here.

They have received my change of address letter and the CCA on Friday 8th of January, 2016

- I can confirm that because I sent it Recorded.

This morning they called me but I did not answer. T

hey left a voice mail asking me to call them back.

I did not provide them with my telephone number on the change of address letter

or the CCA request (only address but I guess they have my telephone number from previous contact with them back in 2012-2013).

Should I call them or ignore?

Why are they calling me?!

Anybody with similar experience?

Hi,

Could be any number of reasons why they are trying to call you, mainly to try and extract as much money out of you as possible.If your phone has the facility to block the number do so, otherwise a no call telephone letter is available to send in the Library section.

Never talk to any DCA on the telephone, if you do pick up one day with clarity or any DCA just hang up, refuse to go through any DPA whatsoever.

If Clarity does not come back either in time or without a full CCA, then you can legally stop payments.

Have you got all of your old statements or sent an SAR to Citi for all statements to claim back charges and any PPI if selected?

By the wording of your post, I am assuming that Clarity automatically take £1 pcm out of your account, I would also consider cancelling your debit card and applying for a new one, DCA's have in the past cleaned out bank accounts, only ever pay via a standing order, that way you are in complete control.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

I would suspect to pressure you into paying more.

the CCA will fail as most citi CCA's were shredded years ago.

yet another cash cow account me thinks

once the 12+2 working days have passed

you stop paying.

if no enforceable CCa and the correct t7c's appear

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Dear Stigman and DX, thank you very much for your replies.

I am so grateful that there are so helpful people here. :-)

I will make sure that I don't answer the phone to any unfamiliar numbers/DCAs.

I have not got a clue if I have signed any PPI, they have probably charged me a lot of extra fees/charges etc..

. no statements or any documentation kept.

I only had a credit card with Citi. It is a very good idea to SAR Citi but I think I first will wait and see what Clarity will come back with to me.

Although I only can see the last 4 numbers of the credit card I had with Citi and no other information about the credit card account.

Will only that be enough to request a SAR?

I can also provide them with the address I first registered the card and when it was registered

- all the standard information Noddle has in my credit file...

I don't pay Clarity automatically via DD or SO.

I log in to my Barclays current account every month where I only keep £4-£5 at a time and pay them the token

but I have been thinking of going to their bank and paying to their account in cash..

. Now if they can't provide me with a REASONABLE CCA I guess I have to stop paying...

Thanks again. I will keep you updated.

i'd send the SAR to their Canadian house address

look in other threads here in the citi forum

where I have moved your thread too

you don't need the number

read the full sar threads posts too first

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Although I see you suggest CTAX bill copy to be supplied to the OC with the SAR but I have not got anything like that...so not quite sure what I can provide as an additional proof of address as I recently moved (not able to put any bill in my name though) and I have changed addresses 5 or 6 times since 2007.

you wil def need to send proof of who/where you are now

dx

and they

you wont get one

dx

and they

I hope so :). I like to hear that :)

I was really stressed and nervous about all these debts and could not sleep in the night thinking about debts etc.

.. remembering in 2009/2010 when these people were calling me hundreds of times demanding full payments and 'pushing' me

...I still jump when my phone rings.:).

I was really scared that they will come and take my car or belongings etc...I wish I knew that you existed then...

Since I have been reading and communicating here and have got encouragement from The Cagers

I feel much better and more braver.

Thank you very much!

the issue here with the citi one will be interesting

as its just post apr 2007

whereby a reconstructed agreement could suffice a CCA request

doesn't mean its enforceable mind!

dx

and they

99% sure I applied online.

The thing is I am quite sure I did not have PPI (because I did not use the card for months and I did not owe anything on the statements

but once I used the card and was unable to pay on time or the required amount or missed payments (due to being in hospital etc..)

there were charges added, the question is how much..

. I am also curious to see what they come back with.

if they did not have any data in my name in their system few years ago when I called them directly what will they have now...

Should CCA include bank statements of before the debt was sold

or I have to request SAR from Citi to receive these eventually if they have kept the data at all?

part of the CCA return should be a statement of account

as it stands

wont be ALL statements.

pers i'd be sending an sar to the Canadian house address

as they'll have everything

even if they do return the online CCA

I bet your bottom dollar

90% of the debt will be reclaimable from what you indicate here

but you need ALL the statements.

dx

and they

I see-thanks.

I will send SAR to Citi then in some point,

I will just need to think what document to send them with my address on it... as a proof of current address.

Maybe a bank statement from my current Barclays account?

I only have £4 in there and maybe I can redact the account number/sort code and only leave the address and my name visible..

. Do you think that this is acceptable?

This above current account was also used to make payments to the CITI credit card since 2007 until they sent the account to DCAs.

that will do yes

don't forget

send it to the Canadian house address

dx

and they

• 3 weeks later...

An update:

Today instead of a CCA which I requested on the 7th of January I received a letter from Clarity asking me to confirm my identity: full name, date of birth and previous address.

I don't believe that they will ever be able to provide me with a reasonable CCA and they have sent the above request just before the 12+2 days. I guess I will need to pay the token payment still as it is due to be paid by tomorrow...

They have also provided me with an option to send the requested details by e-mail or to call them. Do you think it is reasonable to e-mail them or best to use Royal Mail again?

Until they comply they are in default. It becomes unenforceable until they do. Don't chase them. Standard letter from Clarity they are stalling... Don't provide an email address just keep it all in writing. As far as ringing them don't unless recording the call....

Once the fail to supply then stop paying.... Bypass the DCA and CCA the OC directly...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Agreed with mikey. They know the rules. Theyre hoping you dont. You sent the proper request with payment. Ball is in their court now. Keep quiet and let them make the next move. Chances are theyll just pass the debt to another DCA.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thank you for your help. Do I understand correctly?

1. I will send them a letter providing my name and previous address etc...

2. I don't pay them the token tomorrow or I do? Today is 12+2 days.

3. Do I write to them the letter explaining that they did not supply the CCA within the allowed period so therefore any payments from me will be stopped? If yes can you please send me the link of the letter template.

Is not SAR better to the original lender than CCA? I was thinking to do that once I am able to produce a proof of address document as I only moved to a new address recently... I also doubt that Citi bank has anything at all on me. If I need to CCA Citi does anyone know the address. I remember that I had a credit card with them but what credit card- not a clue.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you for your help. Do I understand correctly?

1. I will send them a letter providing my name and previous address etc... Nope not required by them

2. I don't pay them the token tomorrow or I do? Today is 12+2 days. Nope they are in default stop paying..

3. Do I write to them the letter explaining that they did not supply the CCA within the allowed period so therefore any payments from me will be stopped? If yes can you please send me the link of the letter template. Nope they are in default

Is not SAR better to the original lender than CCA? I was thinking to do that once I am able to produce a proof of address document as I only moved to a new address recently... I also doubt that Citi bank has anything at all on me. If I need to CCA Citi does anyone know the address. I remember that I had a credit card with them but what credit card- not a clue. CCA not always included though it should be.

Your help is much appreciated.

I hope this helps you understand... The only letter you need to send is the telephone letter stating all contact in writing only and to remover your number...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Please don't send them anything

Read the thread carefully....

This is a post Apr 2007 sign up online...

You give them that info

All they will do is use it to fill out a blank online form

And that will suffice for a recon CCA

Stop paying and ignore them

Until/unless they issue a claim form

Dx

and they

Ok thanks all. I will ignore the letter asking me to provide details. If they believe it is me they should comply and send the CCA. If they don't believe it is me I don't owe them anything then...

I really hope though that they don't issue a claim form as I don't think I will be able to handle this in court...No experience at all...but anyway I am sure you will help.:-)

Should I still bother and send the original creditor SAR or CCA? The only thing I had with Citi was only one credit card...

I will keep you updated...

Youre a long way off from a court claim, and even if it gets there, theres a ton of things for you to do. If they never produce a CCA, then they cant do court anyway. If they do, then courts not scary. Theres no guy in a big wig and you stand in a dock. You simply sit at a table and go through it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D