Beware fake DWP letters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here is a possible pensions [problem] for you to be wary of, as reported to me by Independent reader Derek Croft.

He recently received two letters. The first was from the Pension Service about the upcoming winter fuel payment. In the same post but in a separate envelope was a second letter apparently from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

"Although the address of the two organisations was exactly the same, the second letter had a standard landline telephone number beginning 01282," Derek said. The number stood out because he had noticed that most official departments use an 0845 or 0345 number.

But there was another reason for Derek suspecting not all was right with the second letter. "It was on cheaper paper, the logo was badly printed and, more importantly, it was requesting information I would never willingly release such as bank sort codes and account numbers, partner's date of birth and the first two and last three digits of both our national insurance numbers."

The DWP letter also claimed: "We are contacting you to confirm the information we hold. It is important that you reply within fourteen days".

It's a good job Derek was so observant and on his guard. He did call the 01282 number, only to hear a rather badly recorded message asking for his phone number and advising him to await a call back. When he told the Pension Service, it told him to ignore the second letter. It was undoubtedly a [problem].

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/pension-[problem]s-letter-from-dwp-turned-out-fake-simon-read

All very well the DWP telling him to ignore it what about the 1000s that wont spot the number or realise its fake....I think that it would be wise for the DWP to inform all and the media.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread