Could Kwik Fit have sabotaged my brakes?

grope
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Fiat 500 failed its MOT today at Kwik Fit, East Kilbride.

Before the test, the car drove normally with no apparent problems.

Unfortunately, it failed the MOT due to "rear brake binding offside" (drum brake).

KF offered to carry out a 'free brake check' to see what needed to be done but I didn't have time so drove the car home.

I immediately noticed a striking difference in the car's performance.

The brake was binding so much that I kept stalling the car when moving off and the problem was also noticeable at speed.

When I got home, the affected wheel was hot, whereas the other three were normal.

To me, it seems like a huge coincidence that a problem like this should suddenly appear.

My immediate thought was that someone at Kwik Fit must have tampered with the brake either deliberately or accidently, causing it to permanently bind.

Is this possible?

The wheel does not seem to have been removed.

The handbrake seems to work normally with no difference in the lever's resistance.

Fortunately, I do not need use the car for the next few days and I've got more than a week before the old MOT expires.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Should I complain to KF Head office?

I'm sure if I took the car back for a 'free brake check'

they would find that various parts need to be replaced.

Hi and welcome to CAG.

IF they have then it is a serious matter but the proving is another matter. If you have drum brakes on the rear then these may be adjustable to bind the brakes. If disc brakes then I can't see this happening.

I would suggest that you go to another garage and get an inspection. If there is a problem (not one caused by KF) then for pities sake, don't let KF do the repairs. They have had some bad press on CAG in recent times

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks for your reply Silverfox,

Yes the brake in question is a drum brake. I know that you could adjust a handbrake cable to make both rear brakes bind, but can you do something to just make one of the brakes bind (without dismantling the drum)?

Some cars (not many now) have the ability to adjust each brake so that it binds. This is either by an external screw or through a hole in the rear of the drum. If you, or a mechanic can adjust the binding drum so that it stops binding then that would suggest tampering.

A lot of cars have self adjusting rear brakes which are adjusted by putting the handbrake on. If the handbrake has been pulled too high, this can adjust a brake drum so that iy binds which is mainly why I say get it checked by an independant mechanic.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE