How long can tesco payments on cc take?

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I went to Tesco on 20th November, using my Halifax cc to pay for my shopping and petrol. Neither of these have come off my card yet, or even the available balance. They often take 2 or 3 days, but 9 days seems excessive and could easily lead to going over card limit.

Any idea if there's a limit on how long payments can be delayed?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Have you got online banking Caro...to see latest transactions /

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

ok im in a rather more remote place

but I've known a Saturday petrol card payment not to show until the following monday week

9 days

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have you got online banking Caro...to see latest transactions /

Andy

Yes and they don't show or come off available balance. I went to Debenhams today and the transactions there came off the available balance immediately.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

ok im in a rather more remote place

but I've known a Saturday petrol card payment not to show until the following monday week

9 days

In this day and age you wouldn't think there would be a delay anywhere.

This happens, especially with tesco and the pay at pump option, the card machine pre approves a £1 debit but allows you to spend up to £99 but if you fill with say, £40, the remaining £39 doesnt come off your available balance until the payment has been claimed by tesco. Companies have upto 6 months to request the total payment according to halifax bank.

Ive been caught out a couple of times simply forgetting I'd put petrol in and then spending the money again a day or two later before it goes through.

On a plus note if your skint a few days before payday it can be very handy!

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

This happens, especially with tesco and the pay at pump option, the card machine pre approves a £1 debit but allows you to spend up to £99 but if you fill with say, £40, the remaining £39 doesnt come off your available balance until the payment has been claimed by tesco. Companies have upto 6 months to request the total payment according to halifax bank.

Ive been caught out a couple of times simply forgetting I'd put petrol in and then spending the money again a day or two later before it goes through.

On a plus note if your skint a few days before payday it can be very handy!

Thanks Martin. Could be handy as long as you don't spend again, as I did taking advantage of black weekend offers for Xmas pressies. Managed to make sure I've cleared enough in case it goes through before interest is added on on 4th which I wasn't sure I could, hence my question.

Still no sign of the payments from 20th Nov, I've never known them take so long.

Must be a freebie Caro :-)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Must be a freebie Caro :-)

Wish I'd spent more and hadn't used coupons! :p

Ive only ever come across 2 places where there have been issues with DC/CC transactions, 1 is tesco as explained above and the other is primark who have a system set to try and bypass the chip n pin!

Ive had again a couple of occasions where my card has been declined, knowing i have sufficient funds.

When ive then queried why the declination happened that was the reason given.

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Well the payments still haven't gone so I'm going to have to watch I don't go over my limit over Christmas. :/

Certainly with the petrol pay at pump option, that would immediately show as a £1 pending transaction which comes off your available balance immediately. With instore purchases the whole amount comes off available balance immediately. In both cases the full amount spent comes off the account after 2/3 banking days.

Unless there was a problem during the transaction and neither payment actually went through at all.

My better half works in retail and has had quite a few occasions where the transaction has shown as completed but has actually not been.

It hasn't come off the available balance. Not even £1. That's what confuses me.

Sounds like the transactions have failed then, worth checking with halifax to see if they have a record of anything pending from that date, unclaimed payments etc, if the transaction went thru ok then is not claimed, the pre-authorisation cancels after 7 days but they would still have 6 months to claim the payments

• 2 weeks later...

4 weeks and still nothing for either transaction so looks like they failed. I haven't pursued it with anyone so just need to make sure I'm well within my limit for the next 22 weeks in case the failure gets picked up.

Thanks for the info Martin.

I would give halifax a call and ask if there were any transactions on the date in question. If there was a pending transaction which self cancelled after 7 days then i'd watch the account for the 22 weeks. But if there was nothing then you are in the clear and can forget about it.

Without thr pre authorisation, which would have left its mark on your account, they would be unable to process the transaction now as they wouldnt have your pin number or CVV

Thanks Martin. I had though phoning Halifax might make them investigate with tesco but seems not from what you say. I guess I'm being naughty but they aren't exactly ethical.

Seems these payments not pending according to call so thanks tesco. Every little helps! ;)